[comp.unix.i386] VGA ROM images for SCO ODT - Any success stories?

kevinr@sequent.UUCP (Kevin W. Rudd) (07/17/90)

	Has anyone been successful in creating a DOS image off of their VGA
board ROMs?  I have tried both the Cardinal VGA600 and most recently the
Orchid ProDesigner+ with no success.  The Cardinal did not surprise me as it
was not even listed as "not supported, but reported to work" in the release
notes.  The ProDesigner on the other hand is a major disappointment to me.
It is one of the "supported" controllers and one of the few that their driver
will support in 1024x768x16 mode.  I had hoped that I could create a DOS image
off of its ROM in order to make use of the high res modes of this card with DOS
applications.

	When I try to create an image off of the card's ROM, it acts as if it
is working on it, displays the scrolling-color Orchid banner, and then dumps
core giving some error message about the VM86 process dying.  I have tried all
sorts of combinations of jumper settings (ie. removing the NMI option, playing
with the 8bit vs. 16bit BIOS) and vmode/driver options (like vspeed, vmode /ni
vga, etc).  Nothing I do seems to make any difference.  This is not what I
expected from one of the "supported" cards.  Are there any tricks to getting
the Merge system to use the extended modes of the card?  I would like to make
use of the capabilities that I spent so much money on.

TIA

Kevin

--
Kevin W. Rudd
Sequent Computer Systems

erik@westworld.esd.sgi.com (Erik Fortune) (07/18/90)

In article <38844@sequent.UUCP>, kevinr@sequent.UUCP (Kevin W. Rudd) writes:
> 	Has anyone been successful in creating a DOS image off of their VGA
> board ROMs?  I have tried both the Cardinal VGA600 and most recently the
> Orchid ProDesigner+ with no success.  The Cardinal did not surprise me as it
> was not even listed as "not supported, but reported to work" in the release
> notes.  The ProDesigner on the other hand is a major disappointment to me.

I've created and routinely use a DOS image which uses the adapter specific
BIOS for my Ahead VGA Wizard (1 meg), which is an unsupported device.  The
tools that came with the wizard all work, as does vpic in 1024x768x256 mode.
I didn't have to do anything special to make it work, so unfortunately
I can't help you debug the problem you're having...

Best of luck!

-- Erik
   (erik@sgi.com)

paone@aramis.rutgers.edu (Phil Paone) (07/19/90)

I have been able to get the compuadd controller to work.  This is
based on the Tseng chip, which I believe is the same as the Orchid
Designer.  But, to get it to work, I have to run dosadmin for a
regular screen (not motif), and run it from within dos (not ffrom the
unix prompt).  I tried all the extended modes of cshow and they all
worked fine.

Phil
--
Phil Paone