[comp.unix.i386] VGA and Term programs

tpf@jdyx.UUCP (Tom Friedel) writes:

>wsinpdb@lso.win.tue.nl (Paul de Bra) writes:

>>Vpix will then use the real VGA-bios routines on the card.

>Is it documented anywhere how to do this yourself ?  Is this
>something that only VP/ix can do because it uses virtual 8086
>mode ?  Would it be possible to write a driver to execute video
>BIOS routines ?

While in unix, go to the vpix directory in your account, vi the vpix.cnf file
and comment out the VGAROM and EGAROM line. Then go and enter vpix. it will
use the card's BIOS from now on.

I have a few questions too for all you Interactive Unix Guru's:

1> Are there any programs that run under Interactive Unix (not VP/ix) that
will show pictures? especially GIF format? I have a rough one that works under
xwindows (xgif) but it only handles 16 colors. Anything out there?

2> I am looking for a terminal program that allows y and z modem downloading.
We have Pcomm but it's flakey. Sometimes the modem doesn't dial, and you have
to keep recycling pcomm's dialer to get it to finally work, and it screws up
the screen after downloading a file. Is there anything out there like pcomm,
but works good?

Please Email

--
John Sparks         |                                 | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 2400bps.
sparks@corpane.UUCP |                                 | PH: (502) 968-DISK

keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) (07/20/90)

In article <2604@corpane.UUCP> sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:

>While in unix, go to the vpix directory in your account, vi the vpix.cnf file
>and comment out the VGAROM and EGAROM line. Then go and enter vpix. it will
>use the card's BIOS from now on.

I did this, and the result is that the machine does a virtual-terminal-specific
"cold/warm boot" (with the Video 7 FastWrite card) and then complains that it
cannot find the Adaptec 1542A SCSI disk controller card at Port 330.  After
hitting F1 to continue the boot process it brings up DOS OK, although the
FastWrite won't use it's color modes (the demo solitare cardgame from one of
the mouse vendors goes into b&w mode).

Weird...

kEITHe