[comp.unix.i386] Help with SCO UNIX and GNU CC needed.

martin@hppcmart.HP.COM (Martin Croome) (07/17/90)

I'm sure this question has been asked a thousand times.......

I'm trying to get gcc 1.37 to compile on SCO UNIX 3.2.0 and I am running into
trouble in 'tree.c'. The cc compiler falls over on the line...

code = va_arg (p, enum tree_code);
                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I am not to familiar with the construction underlined but I presume it works
somewhere since it's in the code. Has anyone got this to work? Could they
mail me any comments/patches necessary? I will post a summary to the net
so please email me.

Thanks in advance.

Martin CROOME                        !'s      - hplabs!hpgnd!hppcmart!martin
Hewlett Packard                      @'s      - martin@hppcmart.grenoble.hp.com
Grenoble Personal Computer Division  HPDesk   - Martin CROOME / HP6300/K1
Technical Mktg - Online Support

martin@hppcmart.HP.COM (Martin Croome) (07/18/90)

martin@hppcmart.HP.COM (Martin Croome) wrote...
> I'm sure this question has been asked a thousand times.......
>
> I'm trying to get gcc 1.37 to compile on SCO UNIX 3.2.0 and I am running into
> trouble in 'tree.c'. The cc compiler falls over on the line...
>
> code = va_arg (p, enum tree_code);
>                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> I am not to familiar with the construction underlined but I presume it works
> somewhere since it's in the code. Has anyone got this to work? Could they
> mail me any comments/patches necessary? I will post a summary to the net
> so please email me.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Silly me. My patching process getting gcc up to 1.37 left behind the old
varargs.h in the gcc directory so the preprocessor was picking it up and
not /usr/include/varargs.h.

Still if anyone has any hints, problems or tips they might offer I would
be pleased to receive them.

> Martin CROOME                        !'s      - hplabs!hpgnd!hppcmart!martin
> Hewlett Packard                      @'s      - martin@hppcmart.grenoble.hp.com
> Grenoble Personal Computer Division  HPDesk   - Martin CROOME / HP6300/K1
> Technical Mktg - Online Support
> ----------

Me Again

UH2@psuvm.psu.edu (Lee Sailer) (07/19/90)

>> I'm trying to get gcc 1.37 to compile on SCO UNIX 3.2.0 and I am running
>into

This reminded me of something I'll need to do sometime in the fall, so I
thought I'd ask the question now.

1.  Does Gnu C run well on a 16MB SCO Unix system?  We've got plenty of
    disk.  I've never installed it, and we don't have a C compiler at
    all now.  Would someone send me an installed Gnu C for some number of
    $$$?

2.  Is there a similar Freely distributable Fortran?  If not, what Fortran
    do SCO users like.  I need to satisfy users who are petroleum engineers
    and will be satisfied with nothing less 8-)

PS  You can reply by email if you like, but personally I think this kind
    of general discussion works best if it stays out in the open.

pcg@cs.aber.ac.uk (Piercarlo Grandi) (07/21/90)

In article <90200.091058UH2@psuvm.psu.edu> UH2@psuvm.psu.edu (Lee Sailer) writes:

   1.  Does Gnu C run well on a 16MB SCO Unix system?  We've got plenty of
       disk.  I've never installed it, and we don't have a C compiler at
       all now.  Would someone send me an installed Gnu C for some number of
       $$$?

There are a number of FTP sites for System V/386 binaries, including gcc
and g++. Just look a few articles back.

   2.  Is there a similar Freely distributable Fortran?  If not, what Fortran
       do SCO users like.

You can use the freely available fortran to c (f2c) translator. You find
it on research.att.com. It is pretty good, and comes with full libraries.
--
Piercarlo "Peter" Grandi           | ARPA: pcg%cs.aber.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Dept of CS, UCW Aberystwyth        | UUCP: ...!mcsun!ukc!aber-cs!pcg