[comp.unix.i386] ESIX and ATI VGA Wonder

jinkins@ut-emx.UUCP (jinkins) (02/07/90)

Is anyone running an ATI VGA Wonder card with ESIX 3.2 rev B?

Previouly I was running with a standard monchrome display adapter with no
problems. Now I am trying to run with the ATI adapter in either EGA or VGA
mode with a NEC Multisync 2A GS montior with no luck. The system will boot
but after displaying the "Booting the ENIX System" message the next screen
flashes up then immediately goes blank. The system is running ok, I can
even enter commands from the console keyboard, just no display. Bringing
up VP/IX causes a trashed display. I even tried booting the installation
floppy with the same results.

It appears that the console driver (display?) is not getting the correct
adapter type. Do I need to make a change in the configuration and rebuild
my system or is it possible I have a bad board. Under DOS everything seems
to work properly, at least all the tests that were sent with the board work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please send responses to:

				Richard Jinkins
				jinkins@emx.utexas.edu

jde@everex.UUCP (-Jeff Ellis) (02/10/90)

In article <24161@ut-emx.UUCP> jinkins@ut-emx.UUCP (jinkins) writes:
>Is anyone running an ATI VGA Wonder card with ESIX 3.2 rev B?

I know of ESIX Rev C customers using this card with no problem.

>Now I am trying to run with the ATI adapter in either EGA or VGA
>mode with a NEC Multisync 2A GS montior with no luck. The system will boot
>but after displaying the "Booting the ENIX System" message the next screen
>flashes up then immediately goes blank. The system is running ok, I can

MonoVga displays did not work under ESIX Rev B. This was fixed in Rev C. Also
we fixed the VP/ix Problem of leaving our screens trashed with some vidio cards
that were not close to their "BIOS Immage".

For update information call ESIX Sales at (415) 683-ESIX.

--
Jeff Ellis		ESIX SYSTEM/V A Division Everex Systems Inc.
			US Mail: 1923 St. Andrew Place, Santa Ana, CA 92705

vinnie@athena.mit.edu (Alvin C Shelton) (07/17/90)

I've just installed ESIX Rev. D on my Northgate 25 MHz machine and I have
a few questions:

    1) I couldn't get the mouse on my ATI VGA Wonder card to work under
       the X Window System.  The mouse cursor just sat in the middle of
       the screen.  I tried IRQ2 and IRQ5 with no success.  The mouse is
       supposedly compatible with the Microsoft bus mouse and it does,
       in fact, work under DOS.

    2) Is there any way to use the higher resolutions of the Wonder card?
       Right now I can only use the card in standard VGA mode.

    3) xrdb doesn't work - it gives me a "len=0" message and doesn't attach
       any resources to the root window.  What's wrong?

    4) Is there any way to simplify switching between DOS and ESIX?
       (I don't have VP/ix yet! :-()  Right now I have to run fdisk to
       change the active partition and reboot.  A friend of mine has a
       simple boot utility which will start DOS by default but gives him
       the opportunity to boot OS/2 if he presses the proper keystroke.
       Does such a thing exist for DOS and UNIX?

			Thanks in advance,
			   Vinnie Shelton
			   vinnie@athena.mit.edu

benyukhi@motcid.UUCP (Ed Benyukhis) (07/17/90)

You should try a different IRQ - IRQ9, which is really the same as IRQ2.
IRQ5 is conflicting with LPT1.  I.e. change the 6th field in the xlbm
file in /etc/conf/sdevice.d to read 9.

Ed

jon@savant.UUCP (Jon Gefaell) (07/22/90)

In article <4105@navy19.UUCP> benyukhi@motcid.UUCP (Ed Benyukhis) writes:

>You should try a different IRQ - IRQ9, which is really the same as IRQ2.
>IRQ5 is conflicting with LPT1.  I.e. change the 6th field in the xlbm
>file in /etc/conf/sdevice.d to read 9.

Uhm, IRQ 7 is the line printer... IRQ 5 is the fixed disk on an XT (Ugh)
but is generaly available on an AT.

--
+----------- Domain? DOMAIN? We Don't Need No Steeeenkin' Domain! -----------+