[comp.unix.i386] 386/ix 2.2 + X11R3 + P8514a

luis@lutetia.rice.edu (Luis Soltero) (07/20/90)

has anyone out there successfully used interactive's X11R3 server on an
8 plane 8514 display?   i just bought a paradise 8514 and the server
almost works.  xinit spawns the server and opens windows just like it
should.  after about 15 seconds of usage the server hangs.  doing a
console switch to another virtual window and then switching back to
the X console frees the server.  although the server can get stuck at
any point in, it seems to be particularly sensitive to mouse events
(i.e. clicking, pointing and moving). any ideas or suggestions?

--luis@rice.edu

tyager@maxx.UUCP (Tom Yager) (07/23/90)

In article <LUIS.90Jul20094630@lutetia.rice.edu>, luis@lutetia.rice.edu (Luis Soltero) writes:

> has anyone out there successfully used interactive's X11R3 server on an
> 8 plane 8514 display?

Yes, I have run that combination successfully. However...

> i just bought a paradise 8514 and the server
> almost works.  xinit spawns the server and opens windows just like it
> should.  after about 15 seconds of usage the server hangs.  doing a
> console switch to another virtual window and then switching back to
> the X console frees the server.  although the server can get stuck at
> any point in, it seems to be particularly sensitive to mouse events
> (i.e. clicking, pointing and moving). any ideas or suggestions?
> --luis@rice.edu

Boy, am I glad somebody else came up with this problem. I've just spent all
weekend diddling with every software and hardware switch I can throw trying
to get things to work on one of my home lab systems.

At work, I just dropped the card in the system and it worked like magic. The
performance is positively stunning. That makes it all the more frustrating that
it won't run reliably on the systems I use for development.

To save you trouble, I have tried a different Paradise card, changed ROM
addresses, and even put in a Matrox MG series card. The failure symptoms
were identical in all cases.

I also went to the trouble of checking for hidden memory address and I/O port
conflicts. No dice.

The machine at work is a 33MHz Multi Micro. My home system is a much older
20MHz system. I will report the problem to ISC--I recommend you do the same.
With two problem reports, they'll be more likely to respond.

When it works, it works great.
(ty)

--
+--Tom Yager, Technical Editor, BYTE----Reviewer, UNIX World---------------+