[comp.unix.i386] ESIX BBS

jde@everex.UUCP (-Jeff Ellis) (05/29/90)

In article <1052@fiver.UUCP> palowoda@fiver.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) writes:
>  Well it appears Everex has started a bbs for customer support and
>questions. Nothing on the board yet but at least it's a start.
>The data line is 714-259-3013 TB+. login: bbs   no password.

Yes we now have a BBS. It is still somewhat in testing, but feel free to call.
We have some software there for unix. The phone line is not the best so use a
Telebit if you have one!

--
Jeff Ellis		ESIX SYSTEM/V  UUCP:uunet!zardoz!everex!jde
			US Mail: 1923 St. Andrew Place, Santa Ana, CA 92705

jde@everex.UUCP (-Jeff Ellis) (06/13/90)

In article <1990May22.212011.4898@druid.uucp> darcy@druid.UUCP (D'Arcy J.M. Cain) writes:

>>  Well it appears Everex has started a bbs for customer support and
>>questions. Nothing on the board yet but at least it's a start.
>>The data line is 714-259-3013 TB+. login: bbs   no password.
>>
>Of course if you are reading this you can probably contact them via UUCP
>at site everex.  Perhaps Someone there can post some general addresses for

>support.
You can send email via uucp to me or to esixtech@everex.uucp

See my sig for my address.

--
Jeff Ellis		ESIX SYSTEM/V  UUCP:uunet!zardoz!everex!jde
			US Mail: 1923 St. Andrew Place, Santa Ana, CA 92705

jde@everex.UUCP (-Jeff Ellis) (06/30/90)

I made a mistake on the new phone number for the bbs,
the phone numbers are:
	(714) 259-3011
	(714) 259-3013
Some people are reporting problems connecting with non-telebit modems.
I now have up the patch for using GNU Emacs with ESIX as well as Ross Biro's
port of the X11R4 libs. Some other programs from the Kent State archive are
also there. The files on the BBS will be subject to change with out notice.

--

engwall@mtha.usc.edu (Ralph Engwall) (07/07/90)

In article <128@sysauto.UUCP> olu@sysauto.UUCP (Olumide O. Emuleomo) writes:

>I have heard all sorts of nice things being said about ESIX and their
>support policies?

Yes, I've been fairly satisfied with my ESIX System V (I've got rev C).

>I must say that I agree to a large extent.
>But how come they can't get their BBS to support 2400 baud modems?

I wonder about this too.  One reason I bought ESIX was because I don't have
a grand to blow on an operating system.  It should stand to reason that many
ESIX users don't have a grand to blow on a modem ether. ;-)

+-------------------------+-----------------------------------------------+
|  R. Engwall             | Q: Why am I banging my head against the wall? |
|  engwall@mtha.usc.edu   | A: Because it feels *so* good when I stop.    |
+-------------------------+-----------------------------------------------+

In article <25752@usc.edu> engwall@mtha.usc.edu (Ralph Engwall) writes:

| I wonder about this too.  One reason I bought ESIX was because I don't have
| a grand to blow on an operating system.  It should stand to reason that many
| ESIX users don't have a grand to blow on a modem ether. ;-)

  Aw, com'on. 2400 baud modems with MNP are < $150 in the back of _PC
Week_ and other places. I sold a bunch of them last year for $125 and
made a profit. Much cheaper than paying phone bills.

  I'm told that the real reason is that getty doesn't autobaud very
well, although I can't prove that, or that the phone lines are so bad
they won't run 2400. Lot'sa rumors, how about an answer from the source?
Someone post the question on the BBS.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

jon@savant.UUCP (Jon Gefaell) (07/09/90)

>In article <128@sysauto.UUCP> olu@sysauto.UUCP (Olumide O. Emuleomo) writes:
>>
>>I have heard all sorts of nice things being said about ESIX and their
>>support policies?
>
>Yes, I've been fairly satisfied with my ESIX System V (I've got rev C).

Indeed they seem quite eager to help, and never make me feel unwelcome when
I call... I'm getting to know them pretty well too :) (j.r., jeff, raymond,
edward, dave, etc... :)

>>I must say that I agree to a large extent.
>>But how come they can't get their BBS to support 2400 baud modems?
>
>I wonder about this too.  One reason I bought ESIX was because I don't have
>a grand to blow on an operating system.  It should stand to reason that many
>ESIX users don't have a grand to blow on a modem ether. ;-)

Jeff Ellis runs that system, and tho I've told him numerous times that
he needs to make it work at 2400 (by answering with CCITT tones first, I
guess, but I don't own a TB) He doesn't seem to understand/care... :(
Send him mail, I'd like to get stuff from there too!

>+-------------------------+-----------------------------------------------+
>|  R. Engwall             | Q: Why am I banging my head against the wall? |
>|  engwall@mtha.usc.edu   | A: Because it feels *so* good when I stop.    |
>+-------------------------+-----------------------------------------------+

Why do people qoute other peoples .sigs? :)

Stuff so that rn will post this damn article...
--
+----------- Domain? DOMAIN? We Don't Need No Steeeenkin' Domain! -----------+
| __/\                                                                       |

jde@everex.UUCP (-Jeff Ellis) (07/13/90)

In article <1235@sixhub.UUCP> davidsen@sixhub.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>In article <25752@usc.edu> engwall@mtha.usc.edu (Ralph Engwall) writes:
>
>| I wonder about this too.  One reason I bought ESIX was because I don't have
>| a grand to blow on an operating system.  It should stand to reason that many
>| ESIX users don't have a grand to blow on a modem ether. ;-)

Telebit modems maybe costly (i.e. $525-985) but they are the standard for the
unix world. Most people feeding news will not deal with people without them!
The computer we are using for the BBS is our usenet machine and can not get
a news feed with out them. I have set the registers to put out non PEP tones
first and do MNP and on request. The one modem was having problems so I opened
up the other modem phone number. People should have no problem calling right
now.

>  Aw, com'on. 2400 baud modems with MNP are < $150 in the back of _PC
>Week_ and other places. I sold a bunch of them last year for $125 and
>made a profit. Much cheaper than paying phone bills.
>
>  I'm told that the real reason is that getty doesn't autobaud very
>well, although I can't prove that, or that the phone lines are so bad
>they won't run 2400. Lot'sa rumors, how about an answer from the source?
>Someone post the question on the BBS.

The one phone line is VERY bad and will cause frustration to non telebit users..

One thing to rember is when I posted about the BBS I said it was in a
test stage and only people with telebit modems should try it!
There is at this time no officiall policy for the BBS.
Do to disk space what is in the BBS may change daily. When the policy is made
the BBS may be droped or to add support may cost the BBS users to help pay for
a machine and diffrent modems.

The numers to try the BBS are
	(714) 259-3011 and (714) 259-3013

Tech support can be done by email also.....
jde@everex.UUCP or esixtech@everex.UUCP
(...!uunet!zardoz!everex!...)

--

olu@sysauto.UUCP (Olumide O. Emuleomo) (07/13/90)

In article <25752@usc.edu>, engwall@mtha.usc.edu (Ralph Engwall) writes:
> In article <128@sysauto.UUCP> olu@sysauto.UUCP (Olumide O. Emuleomo) writes:
>
> I wonder about this too.  One reason I bought ESIX was because I don't have
> a grand to blow on an operating system.  It should stand to reason that many
> ESIX users don't have a grand to blow on a modem ether. ;-)

Hear hear!!

Emuleomo O.O.   (olu@sysauto.UUCP)
--
-Remember. It doesn't matter if you win or lose; As long as you win!

jde@everex.UUCP (-Jeff Ellis) (07/24/90)

OK....OK... do to popular vote,
I now have a real 2400 baud modem.

(714) 259-3011 is a Everex Evercom 24E+ with MNP-5
(714) 259-3013 is a Telebit TB+

The MNP-5 modem is set to auto-reliable mode.