[comp.unix.i386] too many x clients on the same ISC host?

DeadHead@cup.portal.com (Bruce M Ong) (07/20/90)

Does anybody know how many clients you can run on the last release (not
the one released on man 8th) of ISC unix, (I guess the word "prenultimate")?

I am running a total of about 50 processes (most of them are daemons and
spoolers for a system I am developing), and I have X on the system running
both the server and the clients. What I notice is that I cannot run more than
4 or 5 X clients at the same time the spoolers and daemons are running.
not including x, the system has TCP/IP, NFS - you know, the full developers
system.

Sometimes X reports:

Notice: File table over flow,

when it cant start a client, and other times it gives the message
"... broken pipe from server "??", after 0 requests... blah blah blah"

My system has 8 megs of memory, there should be about 6 megabytes for
the X clients when the spooling and daemon and the rest of the system
are fully running.

Is there a parameter that one can tweak to let me run more X clients?

Thanks in advance -

bruce
deadhead@cup.portal.com

murthy@la.excelan.com (M.D. Srinivas Murthy) (07/20/90)

In article <31891@cup.portal.com> DeadHead@cup.portal.com (Bruce M Ong) writes:
>I am running a total of about 50 processes (most of them are daemons and
>
>Sometimes X reports:
>
>Notice: File table over flow,

You can modify the kernel configuration parameters to solve this problem.

As a superuser, run configure (/etc/conf/cf.d/configure) and modify the
NINODE, NFILE parameters (option 3 - Files, Inodes , and Filesystems)
and rebuild the kernel.

Hope this helps.

-murthy

jrh@mustang.dell.com (James Howard) (07/22/90)

Ong) writes:
 > >I am running a total of about 50 processes (most of them are daemons and
 > >
 > >Sometimes X reports:
 > >
 > >Notice: File table over flow,
 > >

 > You can modify the kernel configuration parameters to solve this problem.
 >
 > As a superuser, run configure (/etc/conf/cf.d/configure) and modify the
 > NINODE, NFILE parameters (option 3 - Files, Inodes , and Filesystems)
 > and rebuild the kernel.
 >
 > Hope this helps.
 >
 > -murthy

Just for those that don't know, the kconfig program is used instead of
configure on ISC variants.

James Howard        Dell Computer Corp.        !'s:uunet!dell!mustang!jrh
(512) 343-3480      9505 Arboretum Blvd        @'s:jrh@mustang.dell.com
                    Austin, TX 78759-7299

DeadHead@cup.portal.com (Bruce M Ong) (07/24/90)

few days ago I asked a question re: ISC's X  not being able to handle
more than 5 clients in a heavily loaded system.  I got a lot of response
on that one (some of them from the nice folks at ISC's x group). All
reponses sugguest that I change the parameters in the kernel... that
was the first thing I did when I ran into the problem - increased just
about all the parameters that I could think of that had anything to do with
inodes, process tables, streams, clists, etc.  Didnt seem to help... I wonder
if the applications that I am running are causing problems... but it shouldnt
as I believe the kernel should be pretty well shielded from the nautiness
of the applications... I am gonna tweak more and see... But would like to
thank all those that responded... I'll report my findings.

bruce
deadhead@cup.portal.com