[comp.unix.i386] PCI/TCP

tim@comcon.UUCP (Tim Brown) (07/22/90)

I am having some difficulty getting PCI to talk to a host.  I have
done this several times, so I am familiar with the procedure, but this
system is giving me fits.  First the host:

	386/25 AST Premium
	7 Megs RAM
	330 Meg ESDI Imprimis w/WD1007-WA2
	WD8003E Ethernet card
	ISC 2.2, PCI 2.8.6

Symtoms:

	The host has TCP up and running, ping tests work 100% when I
	ping the host.  In other words, host name is "lica" and from
	lica, I do : # ping lica and I get 100% success.  I assume
	this means TCP is configured correctly, at least this has been
	my experience with other systems.  The PCI host software is
	installed and the daemons are running.  PSUEDO tty's are also
	installed.

	The pc simply will not find the host.  I have stripped the pc
	down so that all there is left is a mono card, the WD8003 and
	the RLL controller.  I have checked for shared memory
	conflicts and interupt conflicts as well.
	PCI's LOGIN program on the PC brings up the copyright screen
	and never finds the host.

I have even gone so far as to remove the hosts vga card and replace
with mono.  Personally I think it might be something to do with the
AST hardware or BIOS, but not sure.  Any ideas?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Tim Brown
nstar!comcon!tim

dag@fciva.FRANKLIN.COM (Daniel A. Graifer) (07/23/90)

In article <445@comcon.UUCP> tim@comcon.UUCP (Tim Brown) writes:
>I am having some difficulty getting PCI to talk to a host [...]
>
>	The pc simply will not find the host.  [...]
>   [...]
>Tim Brown
>nstar!comcon!tim

First, a perhaps to obvious question.  Check your broadcast addresses and
internet network class.  The PCI map-server broadcasts a map of available
hosts, and your pc-client needs to be able to receive this broadcast.  I
believe this will work as long as the host and client have the same network
class.

Do you have some Messy-DOS ftp software such as FTP Inc.'s PC/TCP or Intercon's
PC-Connect?  Try using one of these, or some other software to determine whether
your problem is really with PCI or with your hardware.  I've had occasional
trouble with Everex 25Mhx 386 & WD8003 as a PCI Client.  Never could isolate
HW vs Software, but I've never seen the problem with an NI5210.

Finally, Locus Computing is reachable on the net. I have the E-mail handle of
one support person their from a couple of years ago.  Julia Broidy can be sent
mail at seas.ucla.edu!lcc.jeb.  I don't know if she's still there.  Did you
buy PCI from Locus, or from a remarketer such as your unix vendor?  If the
later, be forewarned that they may refer you back to the vendor.

It occurs to me that you might get more response on comp.dcom.lans than here
in comp.unix.i386.  I have added that group to the newsgroup list.

Good luck,
Dan
Disclaimer:  We have no relationship with Locus Computing except as very
satisfied customers, and we didn't even buy PCI directly from them.
--
Daniel A. Graifer			Franklin Mortgage Capital Corporation
uunet!dag@fmccva.franklin.com		7900 Westpark Drive, Suite A130

jackv@turnkey.tcc.com (Jack F. Vogel) (07/24/90)

In article <529@fciva.FRANKLIN.COM> fciva!dag@uunet.uu.net (Daniel A. Graifer) writes:
>In article <445@comcon.UUCP> tim@comcon.UUCP (Tim Brown) writes:
>
>Finally, Locus Computing is reachable on the net. I have the E-mail handle of
>one support person their from a couple of years ago.  Julia Broidy can be sent
>mail at seas.ucla.edu!lcc.jeb.  I don't know if she's still there.
         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
NOOOO!! Do not, I repeat, DO NOT use addresses of this form, they will bounce.
This sort of address was correct back more than a year ago when seas.ucla was
using an antiquated mailer developed internally and also used by us. Now they
are running the new AIX sendmail 5.61 (about to be released in service) so
normal RFC822 addresses should be used. Instead of the above, the address
should be formed seas.ucla.edu!lcc!jeb if you really want to route through
UCLA, however the Internet address jeb@locus.com will also work and will be
routed through uunet. Oh yes, and by the way, Julia is still at Locus.

Disclaimer: I may be Postmaster, but I still don't speak for LCC :-}.

--
Jack F. Vogel			jackv@locus.com
AIX370 Technical Support	       - or -