[comp.unix.i386] need to boot in single user mode

tr@samadams.princeton.edu (Tom Reingold) (07/18/90)

My coworker left for honeymoon and the root password has apparently
been changed.  If it turns out to be he who changed it, he's gonna get
it.

I can't figure out how to boot in single user mode.  I have a login
called "install" who has "system admin privileges" while in FACE.  So
he can shutdown.  But then booting comes back into multi user mode.

Other computers I used, i.e. Suns and Pyramids, had a monitor which you
could go into by hitting a key sequence on the console.  From the
monitor, you could set boot flags for single user and other things.
How do I do the equivalent so I can get in and change the superuser
password?

This is in AT&T System V 3.2 on an AT&T 6386.
--
                                        Tom Reingold
                                        tr@samadams.princeton.edu

Boot from the instalation floopy.

Interrupt the install.

Mount your hard drive manually. (/etc/mount /dev/dsk/0s1 /mnt)

Edit the password file by hand. (/mnt/bin/ed /mnt/etc/passwd)

Unmount the hard drive, shutdown (/etc/uadmin 2 0), and reboot.

The location and name of some of these files may differ on your system.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
+1 713 274 5180.

mfinegan@uceng.UC.EDU (michael k finegan) (07/19/90)

peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:

>Boot from the instalation floopy.

>Interrupt the install.
Shouldn't you specify how? For SCO Unix ?
~
~
~
>Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
>+1 713 274 5180.
><peter@ficc.ferranti.com>
						- Mike
						  mfinegan@uceng.UC.EDU

In article <5531@uceng.UC.EDU> mfinegan@uceng.UC.EDU (michael k finegan) writes:
> peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
> >Interrupt the install.
> Shouldn't you specify how? For SCO Unix ?

I don't know specifically how for SCO UNIX, but there are any number of ways.
Try ^C, DEL, ^\ about the time it starts asking questions.

If all else fails you can go to another system, mount the install floppy, and
edit the rc script to put a shell in there. If you can't do that, find someone
who can. You may also need to edit the floppy's /etc/fstab if you have a non
standard hard disk. Experiment.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
+1 713 274 5180.   'U`

rogerk@sco.COM (Roger Knopf 5502) (07/25/90)

In article <YUS4-I1@xds13.ferranti.com> peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <5531@uceng.UC.EDU> mfinegan@uceng.UC.EDU (michael k finegan) writes:
>> peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>> >Interrupt the install.
>> Shouldn't you specify how? For SCO Unix ?
>
>I don't know specifically how for SCO UNIX, but there are any number of ways.
>Try ^C, DEL, ^\ about the time it starts asking questions.
         ^^^

Use DEL. And I agree with Peter, experiment (just don't do it on a
production system!).

--
Roger Knopf                                      <standard disclaimer applies>
SCO Consulting Services			  "The True Believers will...formulate