[comp.unix.i386] swap on disk1

fischer@utower.gopas.sub.org (Axel Fischer) (07/06/90)

Hello netlanders,
I have 20 Mb swap on the first disk and 10 Mb on the second.

What did I have to do to tell 386/ix 2.20 to use the swap space on my
second disk?

Please reply via mail, if interest I summarize and post.

-Axel
--
  fischer@utower.gopas.sub.org / fischer@db0tui6.BITNET / fischer@tmpmbx.UUCP

  Class of '93                    That is not dead, which can eternal lie
                                  Yet with strange aeons, even death may die.

In article <KDAHHS@utower.gopas.sub.org> fischer@utower.gopas.sub.org writes:
>I have 20 Mb swap on the first disk and 10 Mb on the second.
>
>What did I have to do to tell 386/ix 2.20 to use the swap space on my
>second disk?

Hmm,  looks like a real RTFM type of question.  Let's see.  I think
we'll start at the permuted index...  Lets look up the word "swap"...  Hey,
look at that - there's a swap(1M) command.  Lets see what it says...

.... -a Add the specified swap area....
.... -d Delete the specified swap area...
.... -l List the status of all swap areas....

Looks like that is what you need.

I know it sounds like I am flaming, but I'm not.  I just think you should
at least take a quick look in the permuted index before posting such a
question to the net.  I could understand you having a problem if it
was listed under something like:

	diskmem(1M) - disk overflow memory allocator

which looks like it has nothing to do with swap space (of course, it doesn't
since it isn't a real command).

                                                Sterling, VA 22170

amull@Morgan.COM (Andrew P. Mullhaupt) (07/09/90)

In article <1990Jul08.224741.1366@virtech.uucp>, cpcahil@virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:

> Hmm,  looks like a real RTFM type of question.  Let's see.  I think
> we'll start at the permuted index...  Lets look up the word "swap"...  Hey,
> look at that - there's a swap(1M) command.  Lets see what it says...

You can start in the Bermuda index, but that takes a strong stomach;
a lot of people get lost in those and are never heard from again.
One of the strongest points in favor of the SCO version of UNIX is
that they refrained from using psychological warfare and camouflage
techniques when indexing their manuals. (Perhaps a UNIX first?)

Has anyone ever made a utility which converts Bermuda indices into
human readable form?

Later,
Andrew Mullhaupt

In article <1200@s6.Morgan.COM> amull@Morgan.COM (Andrew P. Mullhaupt) writes:
>In article <1990Jul08.224741.1366@virtech.uucp>, cpcahil@virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
>>
>> Hmm,  looks like a real RTFM type of question.  Let's see.  I think
>> we'll start at the permuted index...  Lets look up the word "swap"...  Hey,
>> look at that - there's a swap(1M) command.  Lets see what it says...
>
>You can start in the Bermuda index, but that takes a strong stomach;
>a lot of people get lost in those and are never heard from again.

I don't think there is a better answer than a permuted index.  Maybe you
are really complaining about the one-line descriptions that are used to
make up the index.  Having a permuted index makes it real easy to look up
what you are interested about.  The case in point, someone had a question
about "swap" space.  By simply looking up the term swap in the index they
would have found what they needed.

>One of the strongest points in favor of the SCO version of UNIX is
>that they refrained from using psychological warfare and camouflage
>techniques when indexing their manuals. (Perhaps a UNIX first?)

I don't know what they did to index the manuals, but I don't think
it would be that much better.

>Has anyone ever made a utility which converts Bermuda indices into
>human readable form?

You could try the TOC that normally precedes the permuted index if you
can't figure out how to use the permuted index.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170

fischer@utower.gopas.sub.org (Axel Fischer) (07/15/90)

amull@Morgan.COM (Andrew P. Mullhaupt) writes:
>In article <1990Jul08.224741.1366@virtech.uucp>, cpcahil@virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
>>
>> Hmm,  looks like a real RTFM type of question.  Let's see.  I think
>> we'll start at the permuted index...  Lets look up the word "swap"...  Hey,
>> look at that - there's a swap(1M) command.  Lets see what it says...

You're right.
Sorry for wasting netload. I was just to _lazy_ to look up in the Manual,
`cause usually it takes quite a while to work with the ISC Manuals.

Thanks anyway for your help,
	Axel
--
  fischer@utower.gopas.sub.org / fischer@db0tui6.BITNET / fischer@tmpmbx.UUCP

  Class of '93                    That is not dead, which can eternal lie
                                  Yet with strange aeons, even death may die.

det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG (Derek E. Terveer) (07/18/90)

Speaking of swapping -- i have been experiencing some problems with adding swap
areas (with the "swap -a" command) on my ESIX 5.3.2-C system (i experienced the
same problems on my microport system as well).  Sometime soon after adding a
swap area on a second disk (either scsi or mfm), i get a panic message along
the lines of "i/o error in swap" and the system crashes.  I have seen this a
number of times and have finally decided that it is better if i don't add a
second swap area.  The problem is that i have not seen anybody else complain or
mention this; and i'm wondering if it is simply a problem with my hardware.
Has anybody else seen this problem or am i the only one who attempted to add a
second swap space??

derek
--
Derek Terveer		det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG

wsinpdb@lso.win.tue.nl (Paul de Bra) (07/20/90)

In article <1990Jul17.183807.6417@hawkmoon.MN.ORG> det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG (Derek E. Terveer) writes:
>Speaking of swapping -- i have been experiencing some problems with adding swap
>areas (with the "swap -a" command) on my ESIX 5.3.2-C system (i experienced the
>same problems on my microport system as well).  Sometime soon after adding a
>swap area on a second disk (either scsi or mfm)...

I too was having i/o error in swap problems (and panic) with AT&T sVr3.2u.
I have 2 ESDI drives (different brand and capacity) on an Adaptec 2322
(no B, C or D, this one is over a year old). No panic when only swapping to
disk0, regular panics when swapping on both disks.

I reformatted disk1, made sure to have the correct bad-track entries,
and formatted the drive vertically (it had been formatted horizontally but
was being used vertically).

Then I started beating on the system (with software) even harder than before,
but panics are truly and honestly gone. I would suggest reformatting,
running diagnostics and making sure you get the bad-track entries right.

Paul.
(debra@research.att.com)

nvk@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Norman Kohn) (07/23/90)

In article <1990Jul17.183807.6417@hawkmoon.MN.ORG> det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG (Derek E. Terveer) writes:
>Speaking of swapping --- i have been experiencing some problems with adding swap
>areas (with the "swap -a" command) on my ESIX 5.3.2-C system (i experienced the
>same problems on my microport system as well).  Sometime soon after adding a
>swap area on a second disk (either scsi or mfm), i get a panic message along
>the lines of "i/o error in swap" and the system crashes.

I have had experience with second swapping areas under uport and isc.
I don't presently have one active.  With uport the first
area (on drive 0) is hard-coded into the kernel, and you must
leave it in place lest unix die: you can't delete it after adding
the space on the second drive.

I encountered a peculiar behavior:  after hours or days, the listing
produced by
	ps -ef
would contain corrupted lines.  I was able to provoke this by
algorithm.  Presumably the kernel either clobbers
its process table while using the second swap area, or gets into
some sort of trouble with things that it stores there.  This spooky
experience led me to stick to drive 0 for microport swapping.

I haven't exercised isc as thoroughly, but I did partition some
swap space on drive 1.  By now, though, extra memory is sufficiently
cheaper and faster that I've left my swap area quite small (1 or 2 Meg)
with  8 Mb of ram.  This weekend, gnu emacs threw me an "out of memory"
error.  If it recurs maybe I'll activate that extra swap space.

--
Norman Kohn   		| ...ddsw1!nvk
Chicago, Il.		| days/ans svc: (312) 650-6840

gary@sci34hub.UUCP (Gary Heston) (07/24/90)

In article <1990Jul23.042802.18845@ddsw1.MCS.COM> nvk@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Norman Kohn) writes:
>I haven't exercised isc as thoroughly, but I did partition some
>swap space on drive 1.  By now, though, extra memory is sufficiently
>cheaper and faster that I've left my swap area quite small (1 or 2 Meg)
>with  8 Mb of ram.  This weekend, gnu emacs threw me an "out of memory"
>error.  If it recurs maybe I'll activate that extra swap space.

I've been told by some folks that've done porting work for us that
the swap space should be at least as large as your main memory. Otherwise,
you get the "out of memory" errors.... This is most likely a problem on
more active systems, with several users doing database or development
work.

By now, though, discs are sufficiently cheaper and faster that I always
allocate at least 16MB of swap space, just to avoid problems. :-)

--
    Gary Heston     { uunet!sci34hub!gary  }    System Mismanager
   SCI Technology, Inc.  OEM Products Department  (i.e., computers)

In article <741@sci34hub.UUCP> gary@sci34hub.sci.com (Gary Heston) writes:
>By now, though, discs are sufficiently cheaper and faster that I always
>allocate at least 16MB of swap space, just to avoid problems. :-)

I still use the "ingrained" figure of 2*Main_Memory_Size, so my swap is
24MB for a system with 12MB of ram.   This leaves enough room
for a copy of all running programs, plus some expansion area.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170