[comp.unix.i386] Yet more questions/problems with Interactive UNIX

kcantrel@digi.lonestar.org (Keith Cantrell) (07/25/90)

  Make: Gateway 2000
  Processor: Intel 80386 with 64k cache. NO floating point co-processor.
  Mother board: Micronics 386 ASIC cache
  Processor speed: 25Mhz
  Main Memory: 4 Meg.
  Disk: 110Meg ESDI
  Disk controller: Ultrastor ultra 12(F)
  Monitor: 1024x780 VGA Tatung model CM-1498X
  Video controller: OEM-VGA-300190  (says VGA-WONDER on the card)
  Serial controller: DIO-500 Multi-I/O card

More questions for you Interactive Unix Guru's out there:

  1) I have been totally unsuccessful so far being able to use my second
     serial port.  I check on the card, and it is configured as COM2 but
     when I try to start a getty on it, all I get back is:

getty: cannot open "/dev/tty01" errno: 6

     When I looked up error number 6, it says:

No such device or address

     Does anybody know what would cause this?  I even booted DOS and
     'echo'ed a string out COM2: and it did show up on the terminal that I
     have connected to it, so the hardware seems to be working.  I have
     RTFM but I can't see when you tell a device driver what comm port to
     use.  I am sure I am just missing something, if someone would PLEASE
     just point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

  2) In my system I have 4 meg of memory, but when I boot up I get the
     following message:  (The numbers are correct, I am not exactly sure
     what the verbiage said)

Real memory 3801088
Available memory 3031040

     Is it really not seeing all of the 4 meg?  Am I correct in assuming
     that the reason why all the memory is not "Available" is that the
     kernel is taking a 770048 bytes?

  3) Is there tty driver that knows not to allow you to backspace past the
     prompt.  Needless to say this is not real important, but it is real
     annoying.

Thanks in advance,

Keith Cantrell

P.S. The response to my questions so far has been extremely low, are there
     really not that many people out there with Interactive UNIX?  If you
     know the answer to one of the questions, PLEASE don't think someone
     else will answer it, because nobody is!

Keith Cantrell                    Phones:  hm: 214-492-1088
                                           wk: 214-519-2399 @ DSC
internet:  kcantrel@digi.lonestar.org
uucp:      texbell!digi!kcantrel

gary@ke4zv.UUCP (Gary Coffman) (07/26/90)

In article <821@digi.lonestar.org> kcantrel@digi.lonestar.org (Keith Cantrell) writes:

>  Make: Gateway 2000
>  Processor: Intel 80386 with 64k cache. NO floating point co-processor.
>  Mother board: Micronics 386 ASIC cache
>  Processor speed: 25Mhz
>  Main Memory: 4 Meg.
>  Disk: 110Meg ESDI
>  Disk controller: Ultrastor ultra 12(F)
>  Monitor: 1024x780 VGA Tatung model CM-1498X
>  Video controller: OEM-VGA-300190  (says VGA-WONDER on the card)
>  Serial controller: DIO-500 Multi-I/O card
>
>More questions for you Interactive Unix Guru's out there:
>
>  1) I have been totally unsuccessful so far being able to use my second
>     serial port.  I check on the card, and it is configured as COM2 but
>     when I try to start a getty on it, all I get back is:
>
>getty: cannot open "/dev/tty01" errno: 6
>
>     When I looked up error number 6, it says:
>
>No such device or address
>
>     Does anybody know what would cause this?  I even booted DOS and
>     'echo'ed a string out COM2: and it did show up on the terminal that I
>     have connected to it, so the hardware seems to be working.  I have
>     RTFM but I can't see when you tell a device driver what comm port to
>     use.  I am sure I am just missing something, if someone would PLEASE
>     just point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

This is a "frequently asked question". Interactive ships with only one
async port enabled in the kernel. You must edit the file
/etc/conf/sdevice.d/asy, just change the 'N' to a 'Y' for the second
serial port. Then edit the file /etc/conf/cf.d/mdevice to indicate
at least two asy ports. Then rebuild the kernel with kconfig and when
you reboot you'll have use of the second asy port.

>  2) In my system I have 4 meg of memory, but when I boot up I get the
>     following message:  (The numbers are correct, I am not exactly sure
>     what the verbiage said)
>
>Real memory 3801088
>Available memory 3031040
>
>     Is it really not seeing all of the 4 meg?  Am I correct in assuming
>     that the reason why all the memory is not "Available" is that the
>     kernel is taking a 770048 bytes?

Another "frequently asked question", the memory area from 640k to 1024k
is mapped out due to the PC architecture and the kernel takes over half
a megabyte for itself. These two factors explain the missing ram. If
you do a kconfig, you should eliminate all unused installed drivers
and tune the kernel parameters for your memory size. This will get back
some of your ram.

>  3) Is there tty driver that knows not to allow you to backspace past the
>     prompt.  Needless to say this is not real important, but it is real
>     annoying.

Sorry, I have no answer for this.

Gary

darcy@druid.uucp (D'Arcy J.M. Cain) (07/26/90)

I have Esix, not ISC so the answers may not apply but the two systems should
be similar.

(Keith Cantrell) writes:
>  1) I have been totally unsuccessful so far being able to use my second
>     serial port.  I check on the card, and it is configured as COM2 but
>     when I try to start a getty on it, all I get back is:
>
>getty: cannot open "/dev/tty01" errno: 6
Look at /etc/conf/sdevice.d/asy.  Make sure there is a Y in the second field
of the second line.  If this is changed you will have to rebuild the kernel.

>  2) In my system I have 4 meg of memory, but when I boot up I get the
>     following message:  (The numbers are correct, I am not exactly sure
>     what the verbiage said)
>
>Real memory 3801088
>Available memory 3031040
>
>     Is it really not seeing all of the 4 meg?  Am I correct in assuming
>     that the reason why all the memory is not "Available" is that the
>     kernel is taking a 770048 bytes?

This seems high but I guess it depends on what you have linked into the
kernel.  How does it compare to the size of the file /unix?

>  3) Is there tty driver that knows not to allow you to backspace past the
>     prompt.  Needless to say this is not real important, but it is real
>     annoying.

I would think that this is under the control of the shell, not the driver.

HTH

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain (darcy@druid)     |   Government:
D'Arcy Cain Consulting             |   Organized crime with an attitude

>  3) Is there tty driver that knows not to allow you to backspace past the
>     prompt.  Needless to say this is not real important, but it is real
>     annoying.

Yes, the S5R4 one knows not to backspace past the prompt.  Dunno if
anything like that is available for S5R3 on the 386....

rick@pcrat.uucp (Rick Richardson) (07/27/90)

In article <3758@auspex.auspex.com> guy@auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris) writes:
>>  3) Is there tty driver that knows not to allow you to backspace past the

>Yes, the S5R4 one knows not to backspace past the prompt.  Dunno if
>anything like that is available for S5R3 on the 386....

Funny, I read my news on a 286 running Venix/286 (SVR2), and the tty
driver in this OS won't backspace over the prompt.  I guess I never
noticed that SVR3 didn't have this feature.

-Rick
--
Rick Richardson | Looking for FAX software for UNIX/386 ??? Ask About: |Mention
PC Research,Inc.| FaxiX - UNIX Facsimile System (tm)                   |FAX# for

raymond@ele.tue.nl (Raymond Nijssen) (07/27/90)

In article <1091@ke4zv.UUCP> gary@ke4zv.UUCP (Gary Coffman) writes:
>In article <821@digi.lonestar.org> kcantrel@digi.lonestar.org (Keith Cantrell) writes:
>>  2) In my system I have 4 meg of memory, but when I boot up I get the
>>     following message:  (The numbers are correct, I am not exactly sure
>>     what the verbiage said)
>>
>>Real memory 3801088
>>Available memory 3031040
>>
>>     Is it really not seeing all of the 4 meg?  Am I correct in assuming
>>     that the reason why all the memory is not "Available" is that the
>>     kernel is taking a 770048 bytes?
>
>Another "frequently asked question", the memory area from 640k to 1024k
>is mapped out due to the PC architecture and the kernel takes over half
>a megabyte for itself.

Very close. Not all of the 384k is lost. Depending on which chipset and
adapters you have, you can reclaim some of it. Generally, segments 0x0D and
0x0E are free. To make it available to unix, do the following:

- Find out which address ranges between 640k and 1M containing RAM do not
  contain ROM (main/vga/fdd) BIOS ROMs.
- Use the extended setup to enable these ranges.
- edit the file in /etc/conf/ .... (I can't recall it exactly) containing
  a line which looks like:
   0-640k:0;1M-4M:0;   (syntax is self-explanatory)
  and insert in case you want to reclaim the 128k mentioned above the range:
   832k-960k:0;
- rebuild the kernel.

I don't know if this works on all unixes. I use ISC on a 386DX with a non-NEAT
C&T chipset. It doesn't make much of a difference, but we've a saying here:
If you don't appreciate small things, you're not worth the big things.

Raymond X.T. Nijssen  / Don't speak if you  / Oh VMS, please forgive me all
raymond@ele.tue.nl   / speak for yourself  / unfriendly things I said about you

larry@focsys.uucp (Larry Williamson) (07/27/90)

 > > > 3) Is there tty driver that knows not to allow you to backspace past the
 > >
 > >Yes, the S5R4 one knows not to backspace past the prompt.  Dunno if
 > >anything like that is available for S5R3 on the 386....
 >
 > Funny, I read my news on a 286 running Venix/286 (SVR2), and the tty
 > driver in this OS won't backspace over the prompt.  I guess I never
 > noticed that SVR3 didn't have this feature.

sh and csh are stupid, ksh does the right thing.

In article <821@digi.lonestar.org> Keith Cantrell writes:
 > More questions for you Interactive Unix Guru's out there:

Hmm, wonder which Interactive version you are using? 1.0.6, 2.0.2,
2.2, ???

 >   1) I have been totally unsuccessful so far being able to use my second
 > 	serial port.  I check on the card, and it is configured as COM2 but
 > 	when I try to start a getty on it, all I get back is:

You must configure the second port. (Assuming you are using 2.xx) Look
in /etc/conf/sdevice.d/asy and look in the manual for sdevice(4) for a
description of the fields.

 >   3) Is there tty driver that knows not to allow you to backspace past the
 > 	prompt.  Needless to say this is not real important, but it is real
 > 	annoying.

The easy solution is to live with it. If you can afford it, buy the
ksh. It knows better.

Ksh is available from a number of sources. In source form you can get
it from AT&T, but it costs big $$. Cheaper would be an executable
version. Try MKS ((519) 884-2251), I think they sell a version for
Interactive's Unix.

-larry

In article <821@digi.lonestar.org> kcantrel@digi.lonestar.org (Keith Cantrell) writes:

>  1) I have been totally unsuccessful so far being able to use my second
>     serial port.  I check on the card, and it is configured as COM2 but
>     when I try to start a getty on it, all I get back is:
>
>getty: cannot open "/dev/tty01" errno: 6

I will presume you are running 2.0.2 and tell you to read the FAQ posting
which answeres this question.  If you don't have a copy of the posting,
send me email & I will send you a copy.

>  2) In my system I have 4 meg of memory, but when I boot up I get the
>     following message:  (The numbers are correct, I am not exactly sure
>     what the verbiage said)
>
>Real memory 3801088

What you have is 3MB + 640k which should equal 3801088.

The stuff in 640K-1MB is for devices (like you video card).

>  3) Is there tty driver that knows not to allow you to backspace past the
>     prompt.  Needless to say this is not real important, but it is real
>     annoying.

Not that I know of.

>P.S. The response to my questions so far has been extremely low, are there
>     really not that many people out there with Interactive UNIX?  If you
>     know the answer to one of the questions, PLEASE don't think someone
>     else will answer it, because nobody is!

There are lots of people out here with ISC, SCO, ESIX and even a few intel
systems.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170

calhoun@usaos.UUCP (SSG W.D. 'Cal' Calhoun) (07/28/90)

* *
*
* What you have is 3MB + 640k which should equal 3801088.
*
* The stuff in 640K-1MB is for devices (like you video card).
*

Interesting, on my system, 3MB + 640k = Real memory: 4063232

/etc/default/boot reads: 0-640K:0,1M-16M:0
nothing special has been done to increase 'visible' memory.
configuration includes WD1007WAH HD controller and 512k VGA board.

? where did the extra 256k come from?

--
| SSG W.D. Calhoun                  |       UUCP: uunet!usaos!calhoun        |
| Gas Turbine Engine (52F) Branch   |   INTERNET: calhoun%usaos@uunet.uu.net |

john@jwt.UUCP (John Temples) (07/28/90)

>  3) Is there tty driver that knows not to allow you to backspace past the
>     prompt

Replacing the shell with the Korn shell fixes that problem, too.  All the
various ksh implementations (uport 286/386, MKS 286/386) I've used have an
"indestructable" prompt.
--
John W. Temples -- john@jwt.UUCP (uunet!jwt!john)

eric@egsner.cirr.com (Eric Schnoebelen) (07/28/90)

-
- The easy solution is to live with it. If you can afford it, buy the
- ksh. It knows better.

        Or you can pick up a version of tcsh (version 5.12) that I
ported to ISC 2.0.2 from osu-cis/tut.cis.ohio-state.edu.  It should be
in the tcsh binaries section, but it may still be in the incoming
directory..

        tcsh is an extended C shell with emacs/vi command line editing,
filename and command completion, and more.  The binary has been tested
on ISC 2.0.2, SCO Unix, and Microport Unix and should work on most of
the rest of the Unix/386 products.  It lacks job control (having been
built on a 2.0.2 machine) and has a minor bug with respect to pipeline
completion.

--
Eric Schnoebelen		eric@cirr.com		schnoebe@convex.com
        Try to relax and enjoy the crisis.  -Ashleigh Brilliant

>Funny, I read my news on a 286 running Venix/286 (SVR2), and the tty
>driver in this OS won't backspace over the prompt.  I guess I never
>noticed that SVR3 didn't have this feature.

I guess Venix must have modified the tty driver, then, because vanilla
S5 from AT&T, prior to S5R4, sure never stopped echoing your erase
character once it had run out of characters to erase.

Either that, or you're using "ksh" or some other shell that does the
line editing itself.

>sh and csh are stupid, ksh does the right thing.

More accurately, "'sh' and 'csh' let the stupid pre-S5R4 tty driver do
its thing, 'ksh' shoves the tty driver out of the way and does the line
editing itself, and it's smart enough to know when there's nothing left
to erase and stops echoing your erase character."

S5R4's driver *does* know when there's nothing left to erase; it also
knows how to erase tabs (i.e., it doesn't just echo BS-SP-BS).