[comp.unix.i386] Screen blanking for SCO SYS V

smith@rockville.dg.com (R. Smith) (07/19/90)

Many apologies if this has been covered before; I just started reading
this group (and will soon be disconnected from it..see below).

Recently we installed a full SCO development system on our home-office
computer (GATEWAY 2000 25MHz with ATI VGAWonder). My tendency is to keep
all equipment turned on 24 hours per day (this machine has been on since
Nov '89, for example, and two Amigas (and their monitors) have been on since
about 1986). This generates a need for some method to blank the display
during extended periods of inactivity. Under DOS I had a nice PD QIX-like
line-bouncer that did the job quite well; same for the Amigas (Thanks, Matt).

Suns, ISIs, SGIs, and others have nifty screenblankers, too.

Does a screen blanking program exist for SCO's multiscreens? This blanker
must blank the screen (or place a randomly moving entity thereon) after
a period of inactivity. It must do this to the visible multiscreen. It must
do this when NO ONE is logged in (i.e., a daemon process -- any other way
requiring a constant logged-in state is fairly simple to implement but is
NOT what I'm looking for).

It'd be nice if it paid attention a mouse, too (screen "comes alive" on key
board input OR mouse motion).

If such a beast exists for this particular verion of SYS V, I'd love to hear
about it.

Russ Smith

NOTE --  I'm about to lose the account from which this note was written, so
any responses should PLEASE be sent to "smith@aic.nrl.navy.mil" or
"...uunet!aic.nrl.navy.mil!smith". Thanks.

In article <611@inpnms.ROCKVILLE.DG.COM> smith@rockville.dg.com (R. Smith) writes:

| Does a screen blanking program exist for SCO's multiscreens? This blanker
| must blank the screen (or place a randomly moving entity thereon) after
| a period of inactivity. It must do this to the visible multiscreen. It must
| do this when NO ONE is logged in (i.e., a daemon process -- any other way
| requiring a constant logged-in state is fairly simple to implement but is
| NOT what I'm looking for).

  Mine is burried in another script, but let me give you the details of
how I did it, and you can roll your own in about five minutes.

1. To find the idle time on all consoles, use "who -u"

2. You're going to have to sacrifice a multiscreen. Set the cursor
   height to none with a cursor starting on line 14 and ending on line
   10. Clear the screen with a "\f" echo in the rc file, and disable the
   getty on it.

3. When you setect that the system consoles have been idle too long,
   switch to the blank multiscreen with the echo "\033[##z" where ## is
   the screen you blanked earlier.

  I switch manually lots of times, for instance if someone walks into my
office while I'm working on proprietary material, salary data,
performance appraisals, etc. ie. the blank screen is useful (to me)
without the blanker.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

larryp@sco.COM (Larry Philps) (07/24/90)

In article <611@inpnms.ROCKVILLE.DG.COM> smith@rockville.dg.com (R. Smith) writes:
>Recently we installed a full SCO development system on our home-office
>computer (GATEWAY 2000 25MHz with ATI VGAWonder). My tendency is to keep
>all equipment turned on 24 hours per day
>..
>This generates a need for some method to blank the display
>
>Does a screen blanking program exist for SCO's multiscreens?

Yes.  It is actually kernel code that blanks the multiscreens after a
period of inactivity.  The method for setting the timeout is to run
the program called configure in the directory /etc/conf/cf.d.  It gives
you a menu of things to configure, pick the one for multiscreens.  It
will prompt you for a number of values, take the defaults on all of them
except the one that asks for the number of seconds of idle before blanking
the screen.  Exit configure, run ./link_unix, and reboot.

---
Larry Philps,	 SCO Canada, Inc (Formerly: HCR Corporation)
Postman:  130 Bloor St. West, 10th floor, Toronto, Ontario.  M5S 1N5
InterNet: larryp@sco.COM  or larryp%scocan@uunet.uu.net
UUCP:	 {uunet,utcsri,sco}!scocan!larryp
Phone:	 (416) 922-1937
Fax:	 (416) 922-8397

vlr@dynsim2.uucp (Vic Rice) (07/29/90)

larryp@sco.COM (Larry Philps) writes:
>Yes.  It is actually kernel code that blanks the multiscreens after a
>period of inactivity.  The method for setting the timeout is to run
>the program called configure in the directory /etc/conf/cf.d.  It gives
>you a menu of things to configure, pick the one for multiscreens.  It
>will prompt you for a number of values, take the defaults on all of them
>except the one that asks for the number of seconds of idle before blanking
>the screen.  Exit configure, run ./link_unix, and reboot.

Is this kernel parameter in XENIX or SCO UNIX ? I have SCO Opendesktop.
The kernel parameters available under "configure" for entry 6
(Multiscreens) are:

NSCRN: Multiscreens
NSPTTYS: Number of psuedo-ttys on system
SCRNMEM: Number of 1024 byte blocks for save screens

Nothing about screen blanking.
--
Dr. Victor L. Rice
Litwin Process Automation