[comp.unix.i386] WANTED: network benchmarks

cluther@supernet.UUCP (Clay Luther) (07/24/90)

I need to get some network benchmarking programs so that I can evaluate
several different unix systems.

I have an old copy of musbus.  I would like to find a newer version, as well
as any other programs that are appropriate.

--
Clay Luther                       ..uunet!iex!supernet!cluther
Usenet Administrator              supernet!cluther%iex.uucp@dept.csci.unt.edu

kenj@yarra.oz.au (Ken McDonell) (07/25/90)

cluther@supernet.UUCP (Clay Luther) writes:

>I need to get some network benchmarking programs so that I can evaluate
>several different unix systems.

>I have an old copy of musbus.  I would like to find a newer version, as well
>as any other programs that are appropriate.

Here is the standard "glossy" blurb I send out (this describes the most recent
MUSBUS version placed in the public domain -- I have threatened to release
a newer one a couple of times, but it has not happened yet) ...

    The MUSBUS source is in the public domain, distributed via the
    USENET newsgroup comp.sources.unix as follows
	    Version 5.0	volume 11, issues 29-32
	    Version 5.2	volume 12, issues 72-74
    You will need both, as the 5.2 distribution is an upgrade kit that
    assumes you already have Version 5.0.

    There is a MUSBUS mailing list that is used to distributed an infrequent
    Newsletter containing items of interest to those using MUSBUS, or related
    performance analysis tools.  If you'd like to join the mailing list
    send an e-mail request to kenj@yarra.oz.au

There is a paper that describes the MUSBUS philosophy, and some of the
shortcomings of the simpler benchmarks and benchmarking techniques.

%T Taking performance evaluation out of the ``stone age''
%A Ken J. McDonell
%J PROC Summer Usenix Technical CONF
%W Phoenix, Arizona
%M JUN
%D 1987
%P 407-417
%K musbus

Unfortunately, MUSBUS will most likely NOT address your requirements for
"network benchmark programs", unless you mean something that will
simulate rlogin sessions and exercise NFS-mounted file systems.  This is
feasible, but will require a tailored workload script (a course of action
that I universally recommend when using MUSBUS).

--
Ken McDonell			  E-mail:     kenj@pyramid.com kenj@yarra.oz.au
Performance Analysis Group	  Phone:      +61 3 820 0711

pnoe@dg13.cec.be (Pierre Noel) (07/26/90)

In article <1990Jul23.190117.6864@supernet.UUCP> cluther@supernet.UUCP (Clay Luther) writes:
>I need to get some network benchmarking programs so that I can evaluate
>several different unix systems.
>
>I have an old copy of musbus.  I would like to find a newer version, as well
>as any other programs that are appropriate.
>

>--
>Clay Luther                       ..uunet!iex!supernet!cluther
>Usenet Administrator              supernet!cluther%iex.uucp@dept.csci.unt.edu
>Harris Adacom Corp, Dallas, Tx    cluther@supernet.UUCP
>                                  iex!supernet!cluther@uunet.UU.NET

... I need them too (if you please) !!

                                   Pierre Noel
                                   X group, CEC DG XIII

sacg1198@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Scott A Cattanach) (07/31/90)

cluther@supernet.UUCP (Clay Luther) writes:

>I need to get some network benchmarking programs so that I can evaluate
>several different unix systems.

You could ask on comp.dcom.lans, someone could point you to the
'tsock' program.  I don't know if it is PD or what.

--
 -catt (live: sacg1198@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu/dead: cattanac@cs.uiuc.edu)
       (or for you freenet buffs: ak601@cleveland.freenet.edu)