[comp.unix.i386] Two harddisk cntrls on ESIX 5.3.2

bob@rancor.UUCP (Bob Willcox) (07/27/90)

I have a 386 system running ESIX 5.3.2 Rev D that I would like to
install a second harddisk controller and disk (ESDI) on.  It currently
has an RLL controller and two disks.

My question is: is this possible?  The documentation (I only have the
release notes) states that it is possible to add a SCSI controller as a
second HD controller.  It does not (at least I've not found where it
does) mention anything about ESDI as the second controller.

Also, I am confused by the existing sdevice entry for the hd device
driver.  It appears that the 7th and 8th fields are for the port
addresses for the device, but for my hd entry I have 320 and 32f which
does not jive with the stated addresses for my existing RLL adapter of
1f0 - 1ff (Which is the standard AT harddisk address range).  If anyone
has info on what exactly the fields of the sdevice and mdevice files
are could you please share it with me.  The release notes simply
refer me to a document that I do not have.

I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks,
--
Bob Willcox             ...!{rutgers|ames}!cs.utexas.edu!romp!rancor!bob
Phone: 512 258-4224

det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG (Derek E. Terveer) (07/31/90)

In article <278@rancor.UUCP>, bob@rancor.UUCP (Bob Willcox) writes:
> [..]  It appears that the 7th and 8th fields are for the port
> addresses for the device,

that is correct.

>			    but for my hd entry I have 320 and 32f which
> does not jive with the stated addresses for my existing RLL adapter of
> 1f0 - 1ff (Which is the standard AT harddisk address range).

the only (old, crufty) document that i have for at class io addresses does
state that 1f0..1ff is for the hard drive, but nothing seems to be reserved for
the range 320..32f.

derek
--
Derek Terveer						det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG
Minnesota Field Hockey Association, North Central Section