[comp.unix.i386] Ulimit revisited..... in ISC 1.0.6

gary@sci34hub.UUCP (Gary Heston) (07/27/90)

First: The F.A.Q entry #12 applies to ISC 2.x and later. No flames,
ok?? I have looked there, and in all the manuals I've got around
here.

We have someone in another department trying to use large databases
under 1.0.6 (I'm not sure which db program they're using). They are
hitting the upper limit for normal users, which defaults to 8MB.

I need to increase this default, so they don't have to have an
inexperienced user su'd in as root doing database. This is an
obvious hazard :-).

I've searched all the /usr/include, /usr/include/sys, /etc/conf,
and everything else I can think of to try and find where to increase
this limit.

Upgrading to 2.x is not an option; this is not on an ISA bus machine
(Multibus) and 2.x is not available for it.

Can anyone point me to the place to change this? I'll be glad to
forward email to Connor for inclusion in the FAQ, to save others
from scratching their heads.

Thanks,

--
    Gary Heston     { uunet!sci34hub!gary  }    System Mismanager
   SCI Technology, Inc.  OEM Products Department  (i.e., computers)

gsn@sclcig.uucp (Georg Nikodym) (07/30/90)

In article <742@sci34hub.UUCP> gary@sci34hub.sci.com (Gary Heston) writes:
>[stuff deleted...]
>We have someone in another department trying to use large databases
>under 1.0.6 (I'm not sure which db program they're using). They are
>hitting the upper limit for normal users, which defaults to 8MB.
Yup.
>I need to increase this default, so they don't have to have an
>inexperienced user su'd in as root doing database. This is an
>obvious hazard :-).
Yup.
>I've searched all the /usr/include, /usr/include/sys, /etc/conf,
>and everything else I can think of to try and find where to increase
>this limit.

On some (older?) versions of UNIX there is an /etc/master file which
contains kernel config stuff, on others that info is contained somewhere
in the /etc/conf tree.  In my (limited?  attempt at modesty :-) experience
the parameter that you need to change is called MAXFSIZ, not ULIMIT.
If your version of UNIX has the /etc/default directory structure then you'll
also have to change the line "ULIMIT=some_value" line in /etc/default/login.

>Can anyone point me to the place to change this? I'll be glad to
>forward email to Connor for inclusion in the FAQ, to save others
>from scratching their heads.

Hope that info will set you straight (even if is somewhat general)...

| Georg S. Nikodym  -  (416) 442-2238                                       |
|                                                                           |
| Southam Business Information and Communications Group, Don Mills, Ontario |
| gsn@sclcig.UUCP -or- ...!uunet!moore!sclcig!gsn                           |
|                                                                           |
| "The floggings will continue until morale improves" -Jose Castel-Branco   |

tim@comcon.UUCP (Tim Brown) (07/31/90)

In article <1990Jul30.025636.28165@sclcig.uucp>, gsn@sclcig.uucp (Georg Nikodym) writes:
> In article <742@sci34hub.UUCP> gary@sci34hub.sci.com (Gary Heston) writes:
> >[stuff deleted...]
> >We have someone in another department trying to use large databases
> >under 1.0.6 (I'm not sure which db program they're using). They are
> >hitting the upper limit for normal users, which defaults to 8MB.
> Yup.
 [deleted...]

> On some (older?) versions of UNIX there is an /etc/master file which
> contains kernel config stuff, on others that info is contained somewhere
> in the /etc/conf tree.  In my (limited?  attempt at modesty :-) experience
> the parameter that you need to change is called MAXFSIZ, not ULIMIT.
> If your version of UNIX has the /etc/default directory structure then you'll
> also have to change the line "ULIMIT=some_value" line in /etc/default/login.

In ISC 106-2.2 it is called ULIMIT.  You must extend it's limits in
/etc/conf/cf.d/mtune then you can up it in stune in the same
directory.
Make a new kernel.

Tim Brown
nstar!comcon!tim