[comp.unix.i386] ISC 2,2 and LPI C problem.

smitty@essnj1.ESSNJAY.COM (Hibbard T. Smith JR) (08/01/90)

We recently upgraded 4 systems from Interactive 2.0.2 to 2.2.  Amid all the
hype re 2.2 was some talk about the "ansi" c compiler from LPI.  After
installing all the software, we were very disapointed to find that it couldn't
produce working code from the distributed samples.  Amongst the sample
software is a small program that prints it's call arguments.  This code always
prints 0 for argc, and trash for argv's, no matter how it's called.

If anyone's got a clue for me, I'd sure appreciate it.  I'd also like to
know if others are having the same problem.  ISC's tech support (I have a
contract) mutterred about levels, but was able to give me no help at all.
Email responses, and if there's enough interest, I'll post a summary.

Thanks in advance for any help.
--
		Smitty
Hibbard T. Smith JR                 smitty@essnj1.ESSNJAY.COM

tyager@maxx.UUCP (Tom Yager) (08/02/90)

In article <773@essnj1.ESSNJAY.COM>, smitty@essnj1.ESSNJAY.COM (Hibbard T. Smith JR) writes:
> ...the "ansi" c compiler from LPI. ...it couldn't produce working code
> from the distributed samples. This code always prints 0 for argc, and trash
> for argv's

It's in the release notes, but not easy to spot.

To get it to compile properly under ISC, you need to specify the "-sys" and
"-xid" compiler options. I've been porting ANSI C apps from DOS with these
flags set, and haven't encountered any problems.

(ty)
--
+--Tom Yager, Technical Editor, BYTE----Reviewer, UNIX World---------------+
|  UUCP: decvax!maxx!tyager          NET: maxx!tyager@bytepb.byte.com      |