[comp.unix.i386] UNIX for a 386

aland@infmx.UUCP (Dr. Scump) (08/15/89)

In article <36325@bu-cs.BU.EDU> madd@buit15.bu.edu (Jim Frost) writes:
>You can get a mostly-complete version of Interactive for about $1000.
>It will cost you more if you want NFS and troff, less if you don't
>care about X windows or networking.  ENIX is something like $600-$700
>for the whole system, Xenix is out-of-sight ($2000+ for a usable
>system, something like $3000 if you want troff).
>
>jim frost  software tool & die  madd@std.com

Where have you seen 386/ix for this price?  Please let me know.
Current list for just the OS and development system is $1400.
Their biggest bundle (with X11, TCP/IP, NFS, VP/ix, development
system, and X11 development system) is *$3000*, and that omits
the Text Processing system ($350) and TEN/PLUS ($140).

Even if you get the 1-2 user versions, if you want just the OS and DS
and VP/ix, you're looking at $1450 retail.

Not exactly Microport pricing.

Reference: Interactive 386/ix Suggested List Prices, 1/89.

--
    Alan S. Denney  @  Informix Software, Inc.
         {pyramid|uunet}!infmx!aland                 "I want to live!

johnl@esegue.uucp (John R. Levine) (08/16/89)

In article <2111@infmx.UUCP> aland@infmx.UUCP (alan denney) writes:
>In article <36325@bu-cs.BU.EDU> madd@buit15.bu.edu (Jim Frost) writes:
>>You can get a mostly-complete version of Interactive for about $1000.

>Where have you seen 386/ix for this price? ...

Programmer's Connection, 800-336-1166 (or +1 216 494 3781) has the 1-2 user
package of runtime, software development, and text processing for $989
including shipping.  Add VP/ix and Ten/Plus and it's $1299.  The TCP/IP and
NFS combo is another $539.  This is the 1-2 user version, but keep in mind
uucp logins don't count.
--
John R. Levine, Segue Software, POB 349, Cambridge MA 02238, +1 617 492 3869
{ima|lotus}!esegue!johnl, johnl@ima.isc.com, Levine@YALE.something

palowoda@megatest.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) (08/18/89)

From article <1989Aug16.020438.5662@esegue.uucp>, by johnl@esegue.uucp (John R. Levine):
> In article <2111@infmx.UUCP> aland@infmx.UUCP (alan denney) writes:
>>In article <36325@bu-cs.BU.EDU> madd@buit15.bu.edu (Jim Frost) writes:
>>>You can get a mostly-complete version of Interactive for about $1000.
>
>>Where have you seen 386/ix for this price? ...
>
> Programmer's Connection, 800-336-1166 (or +1 216 494 3781) has the 1-2 user
								     ^^^^^^^
  [where's my BIC]
  I really would like to express my displeasure to the marketing bozo's
  who ever came up with this idea of 1-2 user versions of UNIX.

  [flick flick flick]
  Some companies (like SCO) sell a two user version with no upgrade path.
  Remeber the days when unix came as real *unlimited* user system with
  no other standard.

  [pass me the flame thrower please]
  What happen some got in there and said here's a
  good market trick.

  [FLAME ON!!]
  Before you know it there will be 5 user systems at
  a more reasonable price than 4 and 3 users systems at a more reasonable
  price than 2. And than after that we can sneak in 32 user version
  and also have a unlimited version. I hope to appeal to all the new
  potential unix buyers out there, that one day you may need more than
  2 users and you just may pick up the phone and say "Yes how many more
  single user copies would you like to be for your multi user system."
  Please only quote unlimited multi-user unix prices.
  [Pofff!]

> package of runtime, software development, and text processing for $989
> including shipping.  Add VP/ix and Ten/Plus and it's $1299.  The TCP/IP and
> NFS combo is another $539.  This is the 1-2 user version, but keep in mind
> uucp logins don't count.

  Do they have a upgrade path?

Disclaimer: These are my opionions.

--
 Bob Palowoda    *Home of Fiver BBS*                   login: bbs
 Work: {sun,decwrl,pyramid}!megatest!palowoda

darryl@ism780c.isc.com (Darryl Richman) (08/19/89)

In article <7186@megatest.UUCP> palowoda@megatest.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) writes:
"  I really would like to express my displeasure to the marketing bozo's
"  who ever came up with this idea of 1-2 user versions of UNIX.

Talk to AT&T.  This is their idea.  We wouldn't have bothered with it
(I believe) if their lawyers hadn't decided to make us do it.  It's
their scheme and their implementation.  They get a bunch more royalty
for machines with more than 2 users.  This may change with V.4, since
I understand that the royalty schedule is going to change once again
(as it has for just about every release since V.2).

		--Darryl Richman

--
Copyright (c) 1989 Darryl Richman    The views expressed are the author's alone
darryl@ism780c.isc.com 		      INTERACTIVE Systems Corp.-A Kodak Company

madd@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Jim Frost) (08/21/89)

In article <2111@infmx.UUCP> aland@infmx.UUCP (alan denney) writes:
|In article <36325@bu-cs.BU.EDU> madd@buit15.bu.edu (Jim Frost) writes:
|>You can get a mostly-complete version of Interactive for about $1000.
|
|Where have you seen 386/ix for this price?  Please let me know.

I called them and told them I needed a 2-user development system with
networking (ie TCP/IP) and X11R3.  They told me that they sold a
"Workstation" package which should do what I need, and the cost was
something like $1100.  This omits troff and NFS, which will cost a bit
more.  It may also omit VP/ix but that's worthless to me so I didn't
ask.

I expect that by poking around retailers you can get better prices
than list, although I haven't tried it yet.

|Reference: Interactive 386/ix Suggested List Prices, 1/89.

Eight months is a long time in this business :-).

jim frost
software tool & die
madd@std.com

davidsen@sungod.crd.ge.com (ody) (08/22/89)

In article <7186@megatest.UUCP> palowoda@megatest.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) writes:

|   Some companies (like SCO) sell a two user version with no upgrade path.
|   Remeber the days when unix came as real *unlimited* user system with
|   no other standard.

  Please quote your source for this statement, such as an order number.
I ordered about 40 copies of Xenix over the years, and I have not seen
any such version. If it's available it would be useful, if it's false
you should correct yourself.

|   [pass me the flame thrower please]
|   What happen some got in there and said here's a
|   good market trick.
|
|   [FLAME ON!!]

  Someone noticed that UNIX was being run on all these little machines,
and that it would be nice for a single user PDP-11 to be able to have a
less expensive license, with one user being the console and one for
remote use. Is there something wrong with the idea of having a cheaper
version of something which satisfies the needs of many users at a lower
price? Why the flame?
	bill davidsen		(davidsen@crdos1.crd.GE.COM)
  {uunet | philabs}!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen

jiii@visdc.UUCP (John E Van Deusen III) (08/22/89)

I was curious what the licensing arrangement would be for ISC or SCO
Unix running on several machines interconnected by ethernet, but
supporting only one user.
--
John E Van Deusen III, PO Box 9283, Boise, ID  83707, (208) 343-1865

uunet!visdc!jiii

In article <31830@ism780c.isc.com> darryl@ism780c.UUCP (Darryl Richman) writes:
| In article <7186@megatest.UUCP> palowoda@megatest.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) writes:
| "  I really would like to express my displeasure to the marketing bozo's
| "  who ever came up with this idea of 1-2 user versions of UNIX.
|
| Talk to AT&T.  This is their idea.  We wouldn't have bothered with it
| (I believe) if their lawyers hadn't decided to make us do it.  It's
| their scheme and their implementation.

  I doubt that AT&T "made you do it." You say they get a higher royalty
for the unlimited version, why would they force you to offer a less
expensive version?

  As far as I know every vendor who offers the 2 user version also
offers the unlimited. Why do people think that there is something wrong
with having the option of buying something less expensive?

darryl@ism780c.isc.com (Darryl Richman) (08/22/89)

In article <1792@crdgw1.crd.ge.com> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
"In article <31830@ism780c.isc.com> darryl@ism780c.UUCP (Darryl Richman) writes:
"| In article <7186@megatest.UUCP> palowoda@megatest.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) writes:
"| "  I really would like to express my displeasure to the marketing bozo's
"| "  who ever came up with this idea of 1-2 user versions of UNIX.
"|
"
"  I doubt that AT&T "made you do it." You say they get a higher royalty
"for the unlimited version, why would they force you to offer a less
"expensive version?

AT&T offers two levels of licensing fees.  The cheaper one is for 1-2
users.  The more expensive one is for unlimited users.  We (ISC), and
everyone else, want to provide the product at the best price we can.
The license fee represents a fixed cost in the product, and must be
passed on to the buyer.  If we offer only an unlimited system, many
people who want a single user machine will buy a competitor's cheaper
product.  If we sell only a 1-2 user product, it won't be sufficient
for many people's needs, and they'll go elsewhere.  I reiterate--it's
AT&T's scheme, they made us do it, and, since we have a history of not
offering such a tiering, I believe that we would not have done it
otherwise.

"  As far as I know every vendor who offers the 2 user version also
"offers the unlimited. Why do people think that there is something wrong
"with having the option of buying something less expensive?

There is nothing wrong with offering a cheaper version.  AT&T believes
that their product is worth more when more people are using it.  They
have effectively made everyone who resells their product toe that
line.

It is a hassle for us and for the users, however.  I don't know if we
offer an upgrade path, but if we do, I'm sure we send out a whole new
system and ask you to do an upgrade installation, which will replace
most of your system files and require you to reconfigure the kernel to
your hardware.  *That* is a hassle.

		--Darryl Richman
--

plocher%sally@Sun.COM (John Plocher) (08/23/89)

In article <31898@ism780c.isc.com> darryl@ism780c.UUCP (Darryl Richman) writes:
>offer an upgrade path, but if we do, I'm sure we send out a whole new
>system and ask you to do an upgrade installation, which will replace
>most of your system files and require you to reconfigure the kernel to
>your hardware.  *That* is a hassle.

Microport's "Unlimited user upgrade" consists of a single disk which
when installed with "installit" will modify the system in place to
accept more than 2 users.  It will not destroy any user-modifiable
files, and it can be backed out (by hand, not automatically).  Sure,
this makes it easy to buy 2 dozen limited systems and one ultd upgrade,
but we figured that the risk of someone doing that (when it was a direct
violation of the licensing agreement) was acceptable when compared
to the pain of making the user reinstall the whole system.

    -John Plocher

dpi@loft386.UUCP (Doug Ingraham) (08/23/89)

In article <1792@crdgw1.crd.ge.com>, davidsen@sungod.crd.ge.com (ody) writes:

>   As far as I know every vendor who offers the 2 user version also
> offers the unlimited. Why do people think that there is something wrong
> with having the option of buying something less expensive?
>
> 	bill davidsen		(davidsen@crdos1.crd.GE.COM)
>   {uunet | philabs}!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen
> "Stupidity, like virtue, is its own reward" -me

Its not the less expensive part that bothers me.  Its the idea of selling
something you went out of your way to cripple for less money.  I purchased
an unlimited license so I don't know exactly how it was done.  I would
guess that the crippling is in getty, or login because I understand you
can still have any number of uucp dialouts going.  If it is done in getty
or login, it is easy to get around.  Write your own getty/login replacement.
I suppose this would violate your 2 user license agreement.  It surprises
me that the marketing genius that thought of this didn't come up with a
whole tier of prices based on exactly the number of users allowed on.
$500 base + $50/user.  Extra effort == Lower cost.

--
Doug Ingraham (SysAdmin)
Lofty Pursuits (Public Access for Rapid City SD USA)

palowoda@fiver.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) (08/23/89)

From article <1790@crdgw1.crd.ge.com>, by davidsen@sungod.crd.ge.com (ody):
> In article <7186@megatest.UUCP> palowoda@megatest.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) writes:
>
> |   Some companies (like SCO) sell a two user version with no upgrade path.
> |   Remeber the days when unix came as real *unlimited* user system with
> |   no other standard.
>
>   Please quote your source for this statement, such as an order number.
> I ordered about 40 copies of Xenix over the years, and I have not seen
> any such version. If it's available it would be useful, if it's false
> you should correct yourself.

   Ross Oliver (SCO Tech Support) posted it about a month or two on
   the net. If I remember correct, there was a student asking about
   a "cheap" version of Xenix. Than Ross posted a message that
   he checked on it and there was no upgrade path.

> |   [pass me the flame thrower please]
> |   What happen some got in there and said here's a
> |   good market trick.
> |
> |   [FLAME ON!!]

    Arrgh! Two spelling errors. :-() How embarrassing.

>   Someone noticed that UNIX was being run on all these little machines,
> and that it would be nice for a single user PDP-11 to be able to have a
> less expensive license, with one user being the console and one for
> remote use. Is there something wrong with the idea of having a cheaper
> version of something which satisfies the needs of many users at a lower
> price? Why the flame?

   For some reason I though that UNIX was designed as a unlimited
multi-user, multi-tasking OS. If you take your idea a little further
they could sell UNIX with a limited process table even cheaper.
It's just an opionon anyway, but I just view it as good start
for the marketing pea shuffle game. Will find out what happens to the future
releases. If they wanted to sell a cheaper version why didn't they
just reduce the price of the *unlimited* version.

  There is nothing I can do about the priceing policy. As my
company buys 40+ copies of UNIX/XENIX a year I can at least
throw my .02 in.

---Bob

--
Bob Palowoda                                *Home of Fiver BBS*  login: bbs
Home {sun,dasiy}!ys2!fiver!palowoda         (415)-623-8809 1200/2400

clewis@eci386.uucp (Chris Lewis) (08/25/89)

In article <509@loft386.UUCP> dpi@loft386.UUCP (Doug Ingraham) writes:

>Its not the less expensive part that bothers me.  Its the idea of selling
>something you went out of your way to cripple for less money.  I purchased
>an unlimited license so I don't know exactly how it was done.

I do (at least in ISC).  It ain't crippled - the two user system is *exactly*
the same as the multiuser.

>I would
>guess that the crippling is in getty, or login because I understand you
>can still have any number of uucp dialouts going.  If it is done in getty
>or login, it is easy to get around.

Um, no.  This won't work.  They were sneakier than that.

>Write your own getty/login replacement.
>I suppose this would violate your 2 user license agreement.  It surprises
>me that the marketing genius that thought of this didn't come up with a
>whole tier of prices based on exactly the number of users allowed on.
>$500 base + $50/user.  Extra effort == Lower cost.

They didn't because having two versions is bad enough.  Supporting several
more tiers would be too hard to administer.

Though, a 4 user version would be nice.

And, no, I'm *not* going to tell anybody how it's done.

If you want to upgrade your 2 user ISC to multi-user, call your distributor,
they may tell you how to do it yourself, provided that you pay the license
differential.  Or, they may try to rip you off by charging you the whole
price.  Actually, I guess the principal difficulty would be with the paperwork
of ensuring that the AT&T license police see that the proper fees have been
paid (thru the distributor and ISC).
--
Chris Lewis, R.H. Lathwell & Associates: Elegant Communications Inc.
UUCP: {uunet!mnetor, utcsri!utzoo}!lsuc!eci386!clewis

bote@csense.UUCP (John Boteler) (08/25/89)

From article <7186@megatest.UUCP>, by palowoda@megatest.UUCP (Bob Palowoda):
>   I really would like to express my displeasure to the marketing bozo's
>   who ever came up with this idea of 1-2 user versions of UNIX.
>
>   [flick flick flick]
>   Some companies (like SCO) sell a two user version with no upgrade path.
>   Remeber the days when unix came as real *unlimited* user system with
>   no other standard.
>   What happen some got in there and said here's a
>   good market trick.
>   Do they have a upgrade path?

You mean 'an upgrade path'?

Although you may find it impossible to believe, there really
are applications where there is only need for the features of
the 2-user SCO offering, requiring absolutely no upgrade path.

Data acquisition, standalone voice mail systems where the system
itself is the network (TM), and other special purpose applications
where paying less for getting less satisfies the requirements.

Look out, see far.

--
Bote
Old & Improved path!: uunet!comsea!csense!bote

plocher%sally@Sun.COM (John Plocher) (08/26/89)

>I would
>guess that the crippling is in getty, or login because I understand you

Microport's setup involved getty and kernel internals - if you replaced
getty with your own version then the system would fail to boot and print a "L"
on the screen.  The intent was to have a user call in and "give himself in" -

	Hi, Tech Support?
				Yes, who is this?
	John Q Customer
				Support Number?
	123456789
				What's the problem?
	When I Boot it hangs after printing a "L" ....
				You have a "Limited" version?
	Well, uh, yes
				Were trying to bypass the limit?
	Uh...
				Let me transfer you to Sales - they can sell you
				a Ultd user Upgrade...

Why?  Because AT&T wanted $150/copy for a ultd user system base package.  Microport
wanted to be able to charge $99/copy for their low-end product.  They negotiated
with ATT and came to an agreement that Microport would modify the system to
prevent more than 2 users at the same time and ATT would only charge $50/copy.

I didn't like this policy, but without it the entry price for Unix back then would
have been closer to $300...

	-John Plocher

In article <123668@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> plocher@sun.UUCP (John Plocher) writes:
>>I would
>>guess that the crippling is in getty, or login because I understand you
>
>Microport's setup involved getty and kernel internals - if you replaced
>getty with your own version then the system would fail to boot and print a "L"
>on the screen.  The intent was to have a user call in and "give himself in" -

Only if he wasn't literate with the Unix system.

It turned out that even for unlimited licenses you still had to keep the real
getty on the console, or the system would barf.

However, the remainder of the lines could be spawned off something else,
eg: /etc/autobaud.

We discovered this the hard way on our _unlimited_ kernel when the system
wouldn't come back up after installing our replacement getty.

I wasn't pleased, but the fix was very, very simple :-)  While I never
checked it, I suspect that our methodology probably would have worked to
bypass the "user limit" as well.

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 312 566-8911], Voice: [+1 312 566-8910]

djd@scgrp.UUCP (David Dmytryshyn) (08/02/90)

I'm looking for recommendations for a UNIX for a 386. I'd like one
which includes a c compiler and a GUI, and is of a moderate price,
though I'm willing to pay more for a quality package.

If this has been discussed before (which I imagine it has) a summary
of the last time it was discussed would be great. I'll summarize ALL
that I get (i.e. including new email sent) for anyone interested.

Thanks..

 David Dmytryshyn                  EMAIL:  djd@scgrp.UUCP
 SC Group, Toronto, Canada                 uunet!mnetor!scgrp!djd