[comp.unix.i386] ESIX sales address/number?

heiser@tdw201.ed.ray.com (08/01/90)

Will someone please mail me a number to call to get literature and pricing on
ESIX?  Also, are there any second-party vendors that sell ESIX (at prices lower
than the company itself?).  Either a number (800?) or an e-mail address
would be fine.

Thanks in advance,
Bill

--
Bill Heiser
	Work:   heiser@tdw201.ed.ray.com

jones@acsu.buffalo.edu (terry a jones) (08/02/90)

In article <1913@sud509.ed.ray.com> heiser@tdw201.ed.ray.com writes:
>Will someone please mail me a number to call to get literature and pricing on
>ESIX?  Also, are there any second-party vendors that sell ESIX (at prices
>lower than the company itself?).  Either a number (800?) or an e-mail address
>would be fine.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Bill

	I was just about to ask this very question...I'd appreciate it if
you could post responses here or copy me on them.  ESIX does not seem to be
as readily available as say SCO or ISC products.  I would also welcome
opinions from anyone currently using ESIX as to it's performance and/or
reliability.

	Like the man says....

			Thanks in advance,
			Terry

joyco@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Joy Correa) (08/03/90)

In article <31912@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> jones@acsu.buffalo.edu (terry a jones) writes:
>In article <1913@sud509.ed.ray.com> heiser@tdw201.ed.ray.com writes:
>>Will someone please mail me a number to call to get literature and pricing on
>>ESIX?  Also, are there any second-party vendors that sell ESIX (at prices
>>lower than the company itself?).  Either a number (800?) or an e-mail address
>>would be fine.
>>

>	I was just about to ask this very question...I'd appreciate it if
>you could post responses here or copy me on them.  ESIX does not seem to be
>as readily available as say SCO or ISC products.  I would also welcome
>opinions from anyone currently using ESIX as to it's performance and/or
>reliability.

Call ESIX at (415) 683-3749 and I'm sure they'll be able to give you the
number of the nearest reseller.  My firm is an ESIX reseller (as far as I
know, the only one in Hawaii) and we have gotten calls from people who got
our number from ESIX.

If you're in Hawaii (or just want to get ESIX from us anyway) call us at
(808) 955-2400 or you can email me at: godek@isshi.pegasus.com.

As for ESIX itself, we run it here and have been quite pleased with it.  It's
big -- 30 disks for the complete system (I think -- it's been awhile since we
installed it) but so far everything we've tried has worked as advertised.
That's not to say we haven't had our problems with adapting to it (all of
our people have BSD and SCO backgrounds) but once we've figured out how to
get something going, it seems to run as advertised.  We've done a lot with
SCO stuff and found that all the SCO packages we tried to run worked (FoxPlus,
Professional, and Lyrix).  My only "complaint" is that it can feel like it came
right off a mini.  In its initial configuration you can only log on as "root"
from the console (console meaning the first screen of the multiscreens) and
stuff like that.  Nothing that can't be fixed though.  The C compiler -- pcc
based -- puts out pretty good code but we do have gcc up and running.  The
X is kind of sluggish (this is probably more the fault of our system than
anything else -- 25 MHz Micronics motherboard, with 4 Mb RAM and no fpu) and
there aren't a whole lot of high res cards supported.  Again, most importantly,
it seems to be pretty well put together.  Things work as they should so we're
happy with it.

Frank

richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) (08/03/90)

>Will someone please mail me a number to call to get literature and pricing on
>ESIX?  Also, are there any second-party vendors that sell ESIX (at prices lower
>than the company itself?).  Either a number (800?) or an e-mail address
>would be fine.

	ESIX:  (415)-683-3649

--
Richard Foulk		richard@pegasus.com