[comp.unix.i386] Problem after using vi thru ~! shell

tjreynol@zephyr.cair.du.edu (Tim) (07/27/90)

hi,
i've got Esix 3.2 rev C; i just got my modem going, so i called
zephyr at DU, used the shell   ~!  and edited /etc/Systems with
vi. after i saved, i only had the last line on the screen displaying
my new text. (ever view a file thru a one-line window?!:-).

i had to shut down and reboot.

i called zephyr again, shelled out, to edit /etc/motd, again vi,
saved and had the same problem.

any suggestions?

thanks
tim
tjreynol@zephyr.cair.du.edu

(can i get mail here on my PC, direct rather than on zephyr?)

jon@savant.UUCP (Jon Gefaell) (07/31/90)

In article <1990Jul27.053058.5543@mercury.cair.du.edu> tjreynol@zephyr.cair.du.edu (Tim) writes:
>hi,
>i've got Esix 3.2 rev C; i just got my modem going, so i called
>zephyr at DU, used the shell   ~!  and edited /etc/Systems with
>vi. after i saved, i only had the last line on the screen displaying
>my new text. (ever view a file thru a one-line window?!:-).
>
>i had to shut down and reboot.

I've not tried (or know it existed) DU yet, but whenever I run ELM 2.2
on my ESIX Rev C I have the same problem. I use a PC W/ a telnet connection
now to do things. Seems that the console driver loses it's mind....
Anyone else have such a problem?
--
+----------- Domain? DOMAIN? We Don't Need No Steeeenkin' Domain! -----------+

mars@ixos.UUCP (mars) (08/03/90)

I had that problem after using pcomm to log in to the University Vax.
I just transferred my AT-386-M termcap file to there and used it. That
cured the problem. To get a normal screen back after you have the one
line display try starting X or VP/IX. I remember using 'clear', too.

Martin