[comp.unix.i386] VP/ix & Esix Rev C Mouse & Virtual Consoles

steve@hacker.UUCP (Stephen M. Youndt) (08/04/90)

I have a couple of questions related to VP/ix on Esix in the above
configuration.  1) How do I get my Logitech Bus Mouse to work under
Esix (I have Rev C but will be going to D in a week or so).  I uncommented
LMOUSE in vpix.cnf and tried to ln /dev/logi to what I think is the mouse
device for X, but to no avail.  2) Ctr-Alt-Fx does not work while I'm in
VP/ix.  Is there anything that will allow me to switch virtual consoles
while in VP/ix?  I'm sorry if these are elementary, but I can't find
anything in the documentation.  I'd appreciate any help you can give.
Thanks. -- SMY
--
Stephen M. Youndt       /   "Remember, no matter where you go,
uunet!hacker!steve     /     there you are."  -- B. Banzai

darcy@druid.uucp (D'Arcy J.M. Cain) (08/06/90)

In article <196@hacker.UUCP> steve@hacker.UUCP (Stephen M. Youndt) writes:
>I have a couple of questions related to VP/ix on Esix in the above
>configuration.  1) How do I get my Logitech Bus Mouse to work under
>Esix (I have Rev C but will be going to D in a week or so).  I uncommented
>LMOUSE in vpix.cnf and tried to ln /dev/logi to what I think is the mouse
>device for X, but to no avail.
I am sure that someone with a Logitech mouse will share their experience
with you, (I have a Genius mouse which works fine) but if you are using
COM2 you might check that it is turned on in the kernel.  The default is
only COM1 on.  Check /etc/conf/sdevice.d/asy.  The second field for the
active COM ports on your system should be set to a Y.  You have to rebuild
your kernel if you change this.

>                                2) Ctr-Alt-Fx does not work while I'm in
>VP/ix.  Is there anything that will allow me to switch virtual consoles
>while in VP/ix?  I'm sorry if these are elementary, but I can't find
>anything in the documentation.  I'd appreciate any help you can give.
Under VP/ix the console switching works a little different.  Press the
Alt-SysRq combo followed by F(x-1) to get the effect of ALT-Fx.  Note
that this means you can't directly change to the main console.  You have
to change to another console then press Alt-F1.  The Alt-SysRq trick works
for getting the menu under VP/ix as well.  Follow Alt-SysRq by m.

Note there is a small bug in Esix release D that makes it necessary to use
the left alt key for this.  I don't know if the bug is in release C.  It
wasn't in release B.  I have mentioned this to Jeff at Esix and I assume
that a fix will be forthcoming soon.  Esix is usually good about those
sorts of things.
--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain (darcy@druid)     |
D'Arcy Cain Consulting             |   MS-DOS:  The Andrew Dice Clay