[comp.unix.i386] ESIX+GATEWAY2000-20 Works

jdm1@eds1.UUCP (Jon McCown) (08/04/90)

Gateway 2000 386-20 systems, yes it seems to work.  At present the
system has a Seagate 4096 drive and 4MB of memory.  (I am using Xterm
to cu to my news system to write this).  Next mod is to upgrade to
some decent disk space!

One glitch that I do not understand, but will pass on:  The tunable
parameter DMAEXCL does significantly improve performance.  (wish i
knew more accurately how to set the parms, but the sample on pg 5-32
is infinitely better than the distributed version)  CAUTION: the
rebuild after changing this hosed my X-Windows install.  DE-installing
X-win and TCP/IP and then RE-installing made it fly again.  I would
recommend doing the tune before installing much more than the basic
utils disk to avoid this possible glitch.

I have installed (and will soon test) the Rabbit Software X.25 gateway
on this system.  Install was painless, hope to make it all work.

- Jon McCown

--
             J.D. McCown - RCSG Director - Senate of Pennsylvania
psuvax1!eds1!jdm1    (this space intentionally     "Your lupins or your life!"

beser@tron.UUCP (Eric Beser) (08/06/90)

In article <451@eds1.UUCP>, jdm1@eds1.UUCP (Jon McCown) writes:

> One glitch that I do not understand, but will pass on:  The tunable
> parameter DMAEXCL does significantly improve performance.  (wish i
> knew more accurately how to set the parms, but the sample on pg 5-32
> is infinitely better than the distributed version)  CAUTION: the
> rebuild after changing this hosed my X-Windows install.  DE-installing
> X-win and TCP/IP and then RE-installing made it fly again.  I would
> recommend doing the tune before installing much more than the basic
> utils disk to avoid this possible glitch.

Thanks Jon for your advice. I have an esix system rev D that I would
like to tune up for 8meg of memory and an SCSI controller. Other than
the default tuning parameters that get changed when you install the
packages, what other tuning parameters can improve performance.

For example, I have a problem that some software running on my machine
has caused fatal error 11 to occur. This sometimes happens when running
the C compiler or the Meridian Ada compiler (which is nothing more than
an Ada to C translator). It happens when I am running through a tcp/ip
port usually running mwm and several xterms (although I have an Xwindows
terminal that acts as the server). Since I have been afraid due to
ignorance to touch the tuning parameters (except for maxumem which is
set to 8092), some advice from those who have gone before will be much
appreciated.

I am running on an HPVectra RS20C with 8 meg of memory (including the
low memory) a vga and both an ESDI disk (300 meg) and two SCSI disks
(300 and 600 meg).

Thanks for the advice.

Eric Beser   (301)-765-1010
Westinghouse Electric