[comp.unix.i386] vga help

protofan@motcid.UUCP (Michael S. Protofanousis) (08/03/90)

I need to purchase a VGA (SVGA) card to use with ISC 2.2.
What card should I buy?  What monitor?

I am thinking of getting a Sony 1304 monitor (1024x768 noninterlaced)
with a ATI VGA wonder (512K).

I would like to hear from anyone who is running 2.2 with any
VGA card.  I would really like to know what graphics cards are being
used with X11 (R3 or R4).

Is anyone running X in 1024x768 resolution?
Has anyone tried using high resolution programs under VPIX?

I am sure someone must have at least an 800x600 resolution X out there!
What graphics card are you using?

Thanks in advance.

--
Michael Protofanousis		Work: 708-632-6779
uunet!motcid!protofan		Home: 708-724-0744

wtm@uhura.neoucom.EDU (Bill Mayhew) (08/03/90)

The Sony 1304 is an excellent monitor.  I an very impressed with
the engineering inside the monitor.  The auto-size / auto-center is
the best of any monitor that I have seen.  One caviat is that the
factory default for the auto-size vertical is 768 lines max.  If
you use 1024*800 VGA mode (such as on the Paradise VGA+/16 and
similar VGA boards based on the WD chip set) you'll want to have a
qualified technican adjust the internal vertical height; otherwise
your screen will be overscanned about 10-15 lines at the bottom of
the screen.

If you don't use 1024*800 that much, the manual-height over-ride
switch that is user-accesible on the left side of the monitor has
more than enough lattitute to adjust the screen.

The 1304 is also an analog-only monitor, but with VGA and 8514
video boards in abundance there is no reason to fret.  I searched
for a long time for a personal monitor, and the 1304 is the only
one that satisfied me for picture clarity, geometry and power
supply regulation.  The 1304 pin-cushions less than any other
monitor as average screen intensity varies.  A good torture test
for monitors is to set up a program that draws a white box that
fills the entire screen then switch to a black box with a 1-pixel
white border.  Switch back-and-forth.  Note if you see any picture
pin-cushion or blooming at the edge of the box as you switch.  The
1304 shows less than 1 mm of movement on this test.

==Bill==
--
Bill Mayhew  Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine
Rootstown, OH  44272-9995  USA    phone: 216-325-2511

richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) (08/04/90)

>The Sony 1304 is an excellent monitor.  I an very impressed with
>the engineering inside the monitor.  The auto-size / auto-center is
>the best of any monitor that I have seen.  One caviat is that the
>factory default for the auto-size vertical is 768 lines max.  If
>you use 1024*800 VGA mode (such as on the Paradise VGA+/16 and

Isn't a monitor that size too small to be practical for use at 1024x768?

--
Richard Foulk		richard@pegasus.com

rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) (08/07/90)

richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) writes:
> >The Sony 1304 is an excellent monitor.  I an very impressed with
> >the engineering inside the monitor...[more praise from original]
> Isn't a monitor that size too small to be practical for use at 1024x768?

No, not at all.  But you do start looking at the monitor in a different
way.  It's no longer this big TV-like thing that sits in the distance, with
huge fuzzy letters.  It's more like having a piece of paper in front of
you.

1024x768 on that monitor (14" overall diag) gives you around 100 dpi.
There are good mono display systems available with 150 dpi!  It's high time
color monitors started getting good resolution (meaning dpi, as opposed to
total pixels).

I've been using a 768x1024 (i.e., portrait mode) 14" mono display for
about six months now.  I'll fight to keep it.
--
Dick Dunn     rcd@ico.isc.com -or- ico!rcd       Boulder, CO   (303)449-2870
   ...Are you making this up as you go along?