[comp.unix.i386] which scsi ctrl to use?

heiser@sud509.ed.ray.com (Bill Heiser - Unix Sys Admin) (08/07/90)

I am building a 386 machine to run Unix, and would like to use some
sort of SCSI card to drive SCSI drives (not sure what kind of drive
yet).

I've heard reports that the *ix's are fussy about which drive you use.
Some say the Adaptec 1542B is just fine, others say it is incompatible
with certain hardware.  I think someone mentioned the 1522, but I'm
not sure if that was a Unix person or a DOS person...

What I'd like to find out is which SCSI controller to buy ...  I
obviously need to get one that is compatible with both my hardware
and whatever OS I decide on.  I'm still debating between ESIX, SCO UNIX,
and Interactive UNIX, but ESIX has the edge due to price.  (do each of
these OS's work with different scsi boards, or is there one board that
will work with them all?)

Will any of the controllers work with any scsi drive?

My hardware config is as follows:

80386-DX/25Mhz
Chips chipset
AMI Bios dated 04/09/90
8 Megs of 70ns RAM (1Meg DRAMs)
ATI VGA Wonder w/512K
NEC Multisync II

Any comments, suggestions, etc, would be appreciated.  I hope to select
a unit sometime soon.

--
Bill Heiser
	Work:   heiser@tdw201.ed.ray.com

rick@tmiuv0.uucp (08/07/90)

In article <16@tdw205.ed.ray.com>, heiser@sud509.ed.ray.com (Bill Heiser - Unix Sys Admin) writes:
> I am building a 386 machine to run Unix, and would like to use some
> sort of SCSI card to drive SCSI drives (not sure what kind of drive
> yet).
>
> I've heard reports that the *ix's are fussy about which drive you use.
> Some say the Adaptec 1542B is just fine, others say it is incompatible
> with certain hardware.  I think someone mentioned the 1522, but I'm
> not sure if that was a Unix person or a DOS person...

I'm using ESIX and an Adaptec 1542A.  So far, no problems.  I believe that
all of the Unix implementations for 386s can grok the 1542A.  I'm not that
familiar with the 1542B, but I think I remember some reported problems a
while ago.

> ATI VGA Wonder w/512K

I think ESIX has a problem with that board, though I'm not sure.  Try calling
ESIX tech support (1-714-259-3000) and ask them.

> Any comments, suggestions, etc, would be appreciated.  I hope to select
> a unit sometime soon.
>
> Bill Heiser
> 	Work:   heiser@tdw201.ed.ray.com
> 		{decuac,necntc,uunet}!rayssd!tdw201!heiser
> 	Home:   Bill.Heiser@f240.n322.z1.fidonet.org (Fidonet 1:322/240)
> 		The Think_Tank BBS (508)655-3848  1200/2400/9600-HST
> 	Other:  75106.2332@compuserve.com
> 	Other:	heiser@world.std.com     (Public Access Unix)

Well, those are my suggestions. 8-)  You can Email me if you want more
gory details.  I see you're on CIS -- so am I.  75006,1355.  You can find
me most nights hanging out in the AmigaTech SIG starting around 10 p.m. PDT.

(Yes, I have several Amigas.  I also use Unix, VAX/VMS, RSX, and many other
systems).
[- O] Rick Stevens
  ?   EMail: uunet!zardoz!tmiuv0!rick -or- uunet!zardoz!xyclone!sysop
  V   CIS: 75006,1355 (75006.1355@compuserve.com from Internet)

"Reality is a crutch for people who can't handle science fiction."

lerman@stpstn.UUCP (Ken Lerman) (08/09/90)

In article <16@tdw205.ed.ray.com>, heiser@sud509.ed.ray.com (Bill Heiser - Unix Sys Admin) writes:
> I am building a 386 machine to run Unix, and would like to use some
> sort of SCSI card to drive SCSI drives (not sure what kind of drive
> yet).

I have a similar problem.  My Toshiba 5200 will accept 16 bit cards,
but only of the old (XT) size.  The Adaptec 1540 is too tall.  Can
someone tell me the height of a 1542 or other SCSI card which will
support external (only) tape and disk under SCO Unix.

As this is probably not of general interest, please reply by email.  I
will distribute answers to anyone else who wants to know (or post the
replies if a lot of people ask).

Ken