[comp.unix.i386] KSH recommendations?

larry@focsys.uucp (Larry Williamson) (08/08/90)

I'd like to purchase a copy of the korn shell for ISC's Unix 2.2.

I am aware that MKS sells a version of the korn shell in their Trilogy
package for about $120.00. This sounds like a good deal. Reasonable
price, good company. How does it stack up against the "real thing" (I
believe the mks version is their own written from scratch)? If it is
anything like their tool kit, it is probably better than the "real
thing".

Are there any other versions available for less than a couple of
hundred dollars?

I've heard that a company called Aspen sells one too, but I've heard a
lot of very negative comments on Aspen's support and that they have an
attitude problem.

-Larry

todd@iti.uucp (maroC ddoT) (08/08/90)

In article <LARRY.90Aug7135159@focsys.uucp> larry@focsys.uucp (Larry Williamson) writes:
>I'd like to purchase a copy of the korn shell for ISC's Unix 2.2.
>
>Are there any other versions available for less than a couple of
>hundred dollars?
>-Larry

If you can't find a cheap korn shell, you may want to consider looking into
GNU's BASH (Bourne Again SHell).  It has a lot of nice features that make the
korn shell worth while (including emacs & vi style command history editing).
Best of all.... it's free.

Since ISC just added job control (to 2.2) you may want to keep in mind that
any korn shell compiled for an earlier ISC probally will not support  any
job control.

- maroC ddoT (backwords for a backward world) uunet!iti!todd

	"Shut up, be happy." - Ice-T
	"This time, The Revolution will not be televised..." - G.S.H

chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Chip Rosenthal) (08/09/90)

In article <LARRY.90Aug7135159@focsys.uucp>
    larry@focsys.uucp (Larry Williamson) writes:
>I'd like to purchase a copy of the korn shell for ISC's Unix 2.2.  I am aware
>that MKS sells a version of the korn shell in their Trilogy package for about
>$120.00. [...] I've heard that a company called Aspen sells one too, but I've
>heard a lot of very negative comments [...]

I have had horrid dealings with Aspen.  If I need to bring up additional
ksh's, I will not be going back to them.  I would probably look at:

  1)  Get it from MKS.  Unlike Aspen, I've had wonderful dealings with them.
  2)  Look at some free alternatives, like bash.
  3)  Buying ksh thru the AT&T Toolchest.

As an aside, SCO is shipping ksh with the just released 3.2.2.  (No word
yet on how good it is.  I've got ODT here, and my first 3.2.2 install
should be next week.)  It would be nice if ISC follows suit.

One question I'd ask when looking for shells is to ask whether it supports
job control.  Aspen doesn't.  SCO UNIX's does, I'm told.  Dunno about MKS.
--
Chip Rosenthal                            |  You aren't some icon carved out
chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM                  |  of soap, sent down here to clean

fredriks@kuling.UUCP (Fredrik Stax{ng) (08/10/90)

In article <1990Aug08.113542.13266@iti.uucp> todd@iti.UUCP (maroC ddoT) writes:
>In article <LARRY.90Aug7135159@focsys.uucp> larry@focsys.uucp (Larry Williamson) writes:
>>I'd like to purchase a copy of the korn shell for ISC's Unix 2.2.
>If you can't find a cheap korn shell, you may want to consider looking into
>GNU's BASH (Bourne Again SHell).  It has a lot of nice features that make the
>korn shell worth while (including emacs & vi style command history editing).
>Best of all.... it's free.

And it works on 2.2. I got it up about a week ago.

>Since ISC just added job control (to 2.2) you may want to keep in mind that
>any korn shell compiled for an earlier ISC probally will not support  any
>job control.

I have not tried to get job control to work yet. There is a bug in 2.2
that bit me. POSIX-compliant mode survives exec, so I had to put
in a call to _setostype(0) before the exec. Also wait() in nojobs.c
needed to be changed to waitpid(). Compile with -Xp.

--
Fredrik Stax{ng                | Unix is the last operating system. Any
CS Student@Uppsala University  | new will be strictly in the Unix tradition.

heiser@sud509.ed.ray.com (Bill Heiser - Unix Sys Admin) (08/11/90)

In article <1990Aug08.113542.13266@iti.uucp> todd@iti.UUCP (maroC ddoT) writes:

>Since ISC just added job control (to 2.2) you may want to keep in mind that
>any korn shell compiled for an earlier ISC probally will not support  any
>job control.

Does anyone know if ESIX has job control?

--
Bill Heiser
	Work:   heiser@tdw201.ed.ray.com