[comp.unix.i386] sysi86 system call

jean@pogo.hasler (08/03/90)

The system call 'sysi86' from UNIX System V/386 release 3.2 allows
to implement machine-specific functions.

I am looking for accessing directly a parallel port (without driver)
to read and set bits in the same way as simple in() or out() instructions.

I would find reasonable to do it with sysi86(). sysi86() can receive
command and arguments and I have some troubles to understand sysi86.h
and v86.h header files.

Has somebody experience with sysi86?

chapman@sco.COM (Brian Chapman) (08/14/90)

jean@pogo.hasler writes:

>The system call 'sysi86' from UNIX System V/386 release 3.2 allows
>to implement machine-specific functions.
>I am looking for accessing directly a parallel port (without driver)
>to read and set bits in the same way as simple in() or out() instructions.
>I would find reasonable to do it with sysi86(). sysi86() can receive
>command and arguments and I have some troubles to understand sysi86.h
>and v86.h header files.
>Has somebody experience with sysi86?

Yes there is a root only sysi86 system call:

	sysi86(SI86V86, V86SC_IOPL, 0x3000);

The 8 include files necessary are left as an exercise
for the reader.		:-)
--
Brian Chapman		uunet!sco!chapman
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!