[comp.unix.i386] Direct screen writes

In article <1990Aug3.002317.12535@pcrat.uucp> rick@pcrat.UUCP (Rick Richardson) writes:
> In some cases, it simply must be done.  Anything that wants to do
> graphics is going to have to go directly to the screen.

That's a different matter, though a less CPU-expensive standard than X for
using this resource would be desirable, I don't see one forthcoming. But
where acceptable standards exist (termcap, terminfo) they must be used.

> In other cases, direct screen writes are of tremendous value.
> People find it convenient to lean on the arrow keys to move
> around, and expect to stop on a dime when they see where they
> want to be.

There are many programs that provide this facility over even slow serial
ports, by either doing heuristics to determine when to do updates, or by
simply abandoning the current update of the screen image so long as input
is pending.

Another point to consider is that this sort of interaction is, while simple
to understand and implement, not always the most convenient for the average
user. The time spent making this fast could have been better spent implementing
more powerful tools such as incremental searches.

Optimisation is not free. Gratuitous optimisation can be translated directly
into missing features or later release dates. I consider optimising a program
for the special case of users logged in directly at the console, and not using
X, to be gratuitous.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
+1 713 274 5180.   'U`

karl@ficc.ferranti.com (Karl Lehenbauer) (08/10/90)

In article <R4:49J@xds13.ferranti.com> peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>Optimisation is not free. Gratuitous optimisation can be translated directly
>into missing features or later release dates.

...and more bugs.

...and performance optimization without thoughtful performance testing
is usually misdirected and, as above, at best does nothing and at worse
delays/worsens the product and drives up life-cycle costs.
--
-- uunet!ficc!karl
   uunet!sugar!karl

rick@pcrat.uucp (Rick Richardson) (08/13/90)

In article <R4:49J@xds13.ferranti.com> peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>> In other cases, direct screen writes are of tremendous value.
>> People find it convenient to lean on the arrow keys to move
>> around, and expect to stop on a dime when they see where they
>> want to be.

>There are many programs that provide this facility over even slow serial
>ports, by either doing heuristics to determine when to do updates, or by
>simply abandoning the current update of the screen image so long as input
>is pending.

This is true (and where I got on this boat by pointing out that ETI
implements jump-scroll for you).  The point is that jump scroll
doesn't allow you to lean on arrow keys.  Jump scroll, no matter
how you implement it, is visually annoying.  You cannot train
your eyes on just one spot on the screen in order to scan for
the context you are looking for.

When it comes to human engineering, there is no substitute for
a fast scroll capability.  Mere mortal users expect it, and
it is one of the first 'features' they look for.

As my little test program shows, this is not gratuitous optimization.
It is clearly a desirable optimization.  The optimization allows
region scrolling to keep up with the repeat rate from the keyboard
(typically 20-30 per second) in a visually pleasing manner.

Pipe dreams like 'it should be in the device driver' don't help
todays users.  Wizbang search features aren't a substitute (though
needed) since it is most natural to use the eye as a pattern recognizer.

The Norton *implementation* may have been buggy in that there was
no way to disable it (or perhaps it should have defaulted 'off',
with a manner to enable it).

-Rick

--
Rick Richardson | Looking for FAX software for UNIX/386 ??? Ask About: |Mention
PC Research,Inc.| FaxiX - UNIX Facsimile System (tm)                   |FAX# for

wilber@aludra.usc.edu (John Wilber) (08/15/90)

In article <1990Aug13.115811.4371@pcrat.uucp> rick@pcrat.UUCP (Rick Richardson) writes:

>The Norton *implementation* may have been buggy in that there was
>no way to disable it (or perhaps it should have defaulted 'off',
>with a manner to enable it).

Actually, it is pretty easy to disable the fast screen features of Norton
Utilities.  Wasn't the original complaint that when using the icelandic
code page you couldn't use the fast method and had to resort to curses?
I have heard that the icelandic problem has been solved anyway.