[comp.unix.i386] SCO Unix 3.2 version 2.0 upgrade?

m1jjh00@fed.frb.gov (Jeffrey J. Hallman) (07/24/90)

In the latest issue of PC Week I see a blurb saying that SCO is now
shipping a new version of its Unix,  SCO SV/386 3.2 version 2.0, which
"runs faster, supports extended memory and" easier security mgmt.
              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
My question:  what does this mean?  Extended memory for UNIX?  Isn't
extended memory a DOS concept?

chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Chip Rosenthal) (07/25/90)

In article <M1JJH00.90Jul24134608@msuws2.fed.frb.gov>
    m1jjh00@fed.frb.gov (Jeffrey J. Hallman) writes:
>My question:  what does this mean?  Extended memory for UNIX?  Isn't
>extended memory a DOS concept?

An unfortunate choice of terms.  I think what they are trying to say is
that their memory support has been extended, and now up to 256Meg of main
memory can be handled.

The old version, according to the Jan 90 Configuration Guide was:

    The SCO UNIX System V operating system can use up to 16 Mbytes of
    real memory with a "standard" ISA, EISA or MCA computer.  Some
    system manufacturers are supporting up to 64 Mbytes of physical
    memory.  On some of those computers, SCO UNIX System V can make use
    of the entire 64 Mbytes.

(All along, the main memory beyond 1 Meg used by all unices has been the
so-called extended memory.)

I bet the folks who like to run emacs under X will be glad to have this
new feature (gratuitous flame bait).

--
Chip Rosenthal                            |  You aren't some icon carved out
chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM                  |  of soap, sent down here to clean

root@edat.UUCP (Superuser) (07/26/90)

In article <M1JJH00.90Jul24134608@msuws2.fed.frb.gov> m1jjh00@fed.frb.gov (Jeffrey J. Hallman) writes:
>In the latest issue of PC Week I see a blurb saying that SCO is now
>shipping a new version of its Unix,  SCO SV/386 3.2 version 2.0, which
>"runs faster, supports extended memory and" easier security mgmt.
>              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>My question:  what does this mean?  Extended memory for UNIX?  Isn't
>extended memory a DOS concept?

It means the new version will support 256MB of RAM, instead of the
current 16MB.  Remember the article was written by PC (<-) Week,
and not UNIX World, Review, etc.  The drivers are more refined (EISA
support), as is the kernal I believe, and C2 sercurity management
is supposed be easier.  Its a pain right now.

I have no affiliation with SCO other than being a satisfied OpenDesktop
developer who can't wait to get the next version.  I've got a SystemPro
here that can't wait to get loaded up.

"If you ain't fallen, you ain't pushin'"-- Randall Grandstaff

Brian Douglass
Electronic Data Technologies
1085 Palms Airport Drive
Las Vegas, NV 89119-3715
Voice: 702-361-1510 X311
FAX #: 702-361-2545
uunet!edat!brian

chapman@sco.COM (Brian Chapman) (07/26/90)

chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Chip Rosenthal) writes:

>In article <M1JJH00.90Jul24134608@msuws2.fed.frb.gov>
>    m1jjh00@fed.frb.gov (Jeffrey J. Hallman) writes:
>>My question:  what does this mean?  Extended memory for UNIX?  Isn't
>>extended memory a DOS concept?

>An unfortunate choice of terms.  I think what they are trying to say is
>that their memory support has been extended, and now up to 256Meg of main
>memory can be handled.

ISA DMA design can only reach the low 16Mb of physical memory.
"Extended memory" support means that we have worked around this
limitation.
	-- Chapman
--
Brian Chapman		uunet!sco!chapman
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!

rogerk@sco.COM (Roger Knopf 5502) (08/02/90)

In article <M1JJH00.90Jul24134608@msuws2.fed.frb.gov> m1jjh00@fed.frb.gov (Jeffrey J. Hallman) writes:
>In the latest issue of PC Week I see a blurb saying that SCO is now
>shipping a new version of its Unix,  SCO SV/386 3.2 version 2.0, which
>"runs faster, supports extended memory and" easier security mgmt.
>              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>My question:  what does this mean?  Extended memory for UNIX?  Isn't
>extended memory a DOS concept?

This is not the same as the DOS stuff. What this means is that,
for machines that will handle it, SCO Unix 3.2 v2 will see and
use memory in excess of 16MB.

--
Roger Knopf                                      <standard disclaimer applies>
SCO Consulting Services			  "The True Believers will...formulate

aland@infmx.UUCP (Colonel Panic) (08/15/90)

In article <8645@scorn.sco.COM> rogerk@sco.COM (Roger Knopf 5502) writes:
>In article <M1JJH00.90Jul24134608@msuws2.fed.frb.gov> m1jjh00@fed.frb.gov (Jeffrey J. Hallman) writes:
>>In the latest issue of PC Week I see a blurb saying that SCO is now
>>shipping a new version of its Unix,  SCO SV/386 3.2 version 2.0, which
>>"runs faster, supports extended memory and" easier security mgmt.
>>              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>My question:  what does this mean?  Extended memory for UNIX?  Isn't
>>extended memory a DOS concept?
>
>This is not the same as the DOS stuff. What this means is that,
>for machines that will handle it, SCO Unix 3.2 v2 will see and
>use memory in excess of 16MB.
>Roger Knopf  SCO Consulting Services

Uh, hate to nitpick, but every use I've seen of the term "extended
memory" in my *life* has referred strictly to directly-addressable
memory above 1 MB (on '286 and higher).

Do you, by the above statement, mean to say that the first cut of
SCO UNIX 3.2 would not utilize memory above 16 MB?  What would
happen in such a configuration -- would it be ignored? would it
cause problems?

In the new 2.0 release, how do you handle DMA between addresses
above 16MB on an ISA bus machine?

Thanks in advance.

--
Alan Denney # Informix # aland@informix.com # {pyramid|uunet}!infmx!aland

 "These tests will have no effect on your grades.  They will merely
  determine your future social status and financial success, if any."