[comp.unix.i386] ESIX- Additional Serial Ports?

jdm1@eds1.UUCP (Jon McCown) (08/08/90)

Could someone with proper ESIX documentation (or inside information)
tell me whether COM3 COM4 strappable serial ports can be used with
ESIX?  The mouse on COM1 is a pain, and I would really like to add
some more serial I/O, without going to the expense of a digiboard (yet).

My guess is that one might be able to mknod a couple more minor devices,
but it would be handy to know if the driver would support them before
I go gorking my system.  Apologies for not having the complete docs ;-)

- Jon

--
             J.D. McCown - RCSG Director - Senate of Pennsylvania
psuvax1!eds1!jdm1    (this space intentionally     "Your lupins or your life!"

doleh@math-cs.kent.edu (Yaser K. Doleh) (08/08/90)

In article <569@eds1.UUCP>, jdm1@eds1.UUCP (Jon McCown) writes:

> Could someone with proper ESIX documentation (or inside information)
> tell me whether COM3 COM4 strappable serial ports can be used with
> ESIX?  The mouse on COM1 is a pain, and I would really like to add
> some more serial I/O, without going to the expense of a digiboard (yet).

You need to edit the file space.c in /etc/conf/something/asy and add two
more lines
for com3 and com4. I did it long time ago and don't remember exactly
what to do.
I don't run ESIX anymore so I can't look it up.

> My guess is that one might be able to mknod a couple more minor devices,
> but it would be handy to know if the driver would support them before
> I go gorking my system.  Apologies for not having the complete docs ;-)

Adding the devices won't do it. The device driver only support two
serial ports.
That's why you need to edit space.c file and add more devices.

Good luck.

> - Jon
>

> --
>              J.D. McCown - RCSG Director - Senate of Pennsylvania
> psuvax1!eds1!jdm1    (this space intentionally     "Your lupins or
your life!"
> jdm1@eds1.eds.com      filled with this text)                   -
Dennis Moore

Yaser Doleh   <doleh@math-cs.kent.edu>
Department Of Mathematics & Computer Science
Kent State University
Kent - OH 44242

jde@everex.UUCP (-Jeff Ellis) (08/08/90)

In article <569@eds1.UUCP> jdm1@eds1.UUCP (Jon McCown) writes:

>Could someone with proper ESIX documentation (or inside information)
>tell me whether COM3 COM4 strappable serial ports can be used with
>ESIX?  The mouse on COM1 is a pain, and I would really like to add
>some more serial I/O, without going to the expense of a digiboard (yet).

You can have up to 32 dumb ports but unless the hardware has a interrupt
vector to show which port did the request, each port must HAVE ITS OWN IRQ
You can use the initasy script to do the setup for you.
You can get an AST 4 port board that will put all four ports on one IRQ,
there are also clones of this product. BTW if you have Rev D of ESIX it will
make use of the 16550 FIFO chip if you have it.

--
Jeff Ellis		ESIX SYSTEM/V  UUCP:uunet!zardoz!everex!jde
			US Mail: 1923 St. Andrew Place, Santa Ana, CA 92705

john@jwt.UUCP (John Temples) (08/09/90)

In article <538@everex.UUCP> jde@everex.UUCP (-Jeff Ellis) writes:
>You can get an AST 4 port board that will put all four ports on one IRQ,

Does anyone know of a source for this board (or clone) and the cost?  Are
the UARTs socketed?

>BTW if you have Rev D of ESIX it will
>make use of the 16550 FIFO chip if you have it.

Is anything required to enable the 16550?  It's not mentioned on the
asy(7) man page.
--
John W. Temples -- john@jwt.UUCP (uunet!jwt!john)

richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) (08/11/90)

> [...]              BTW if you have Rev D of ESIX it will
>make use of the 16550 FIFO chip if you have it.

How does it compare to the FAS driver?

--
Richard Foulk		richard@pegasus.com

john@jwt.UUCP (John Temples) (08/12/90)

In article <1990Aug11.115912.10530@pegasus.com> richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) writes:
>> [...]              BTW if you have Rev D of ESIX it will
>>make use of the 16550 FIFO chip if you have it.
>How does it compare to the FAS driver?

I can't say how it compares with the FAS driver, but I did a quick
benchmark and found that the ESIX driver runs *much* faster with a
16550.  I just installed a DigiBoard DigiCHANNEL PC/4 board on my
ESIX system.  This is a dumb four-port card with socketed UARTs.
It's directly supported by ESIX's asy driver.  I replaced one of the
16450's with a 16550A.  I connected a Wyse 50 terminal to the 16450
port, logged in at 38400 baud, and did 'cat /etc/termcap'.  u386mon
running on the console, with the system otherwise idle, showed 40% to
45% CPU utilization on my 33 MHz 386.  Doing the same test on the 16550
port showed 6% to 10% CPU utilization.  I think I'll be buying some
more 16550's...
--
John W. Temples -- john@jwt.UUCP (uunet!jwt!john)

gemini@geminix.mbx.sub.org (Uwe Doering) (08/17/90)

john@jwt.UUCP (John Temples) writes:

>In article <1990Aug11.115912.10530@pegasus.com> richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) writes:
>>> [...]              BTW if you have Rev D of ESIX it will
>>>make use of the 16550 FIFO chip if you have it.
>>How does it compare to the FAS driver?
>
>I can't say how it compares with the FAS driver, but I did a quick
>benchmark and found that the ESIX driver runs *much* faster with a
>16550.  I just installed a DigiBoard DigiCHANNEL PC/4 board on my
>ESIX system.  This is a dumb four-port card with socketed UARTs.
>It's directly supported by ESIX's asy driver.  I replaced one of the
>16450's with a 16550A.  I connected a Wyse 50 terminal to the 16450
>port, logged in at 38400 baud, and did 'cat /etc/termcap'.  u386mon
>running on the console, with the system otherwise idle, showed 40% to
>45% CPU utilization on my 33 MHz 386.  Doing the same test on the 16550
>port showed 6% to 10% CPU utilization.  I think I'll be buying some
>more 16550's...

I tried this with FAS 2.07 beta (soon to be released) and NS16550A chips
(actually on ISC 386/ix, but this doesn't matter in this case) and
got 4% to 5%. But note that I used a 25 MHz cache board. With 33 MHz
the result will be even lower.

Therefor, still no way to avoid FAS. ;-)

       Uwe
--
Uwe Doering   |  USA      : gemini@geminix.mbx.sub.org
Berlin        |  World    : gemini%geminix@tmpmbx.UUCP