[comp.unix.i386] Adaptec for ESDI too?

shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) (08/14/90)

	Anyone have experience with Adaptec's ESDI series? Just received
an info pack covering their entire PC line, including the ACB-232x series.
How does this compare - cost, performance, compatibility - with, say,
the Western Digital WD1007V or other such controllers? I'm especially
interested in supporting some flavor of 386/486 UN*X.

art@pilikia.pegasus.com (Art Neilson) (08/17/90)

In article <26@raysnec.UUCP> shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) writes:

>	Anyone have experience with Adaptec's ESDI series? Just received
>an info pack covering their entire PC line, including the ACB-232x series.
>How does this compare - cost, performance, compatibility - with, say,
>the Western Digital WD1007V or other such controllers? I'm especially
>interested in supporting some flavor of 386/486 UN*X.

I've had an Adaptec 2322B-8 in my machine for around two years now and
have had no difficulties with the controller.  The 2322 series is on
ISC's supported devices list and installs as a standard AT controller
thru kconfig.  The B-8 version has an 8K cache onboard, which should
improve performance although I have no idea how much.  I recommend
the controller because it is reliable, supported by the OS, and is
quite popular with systems integrators.  It's a thumbs up from me.
--
Arthur W. Neilson III		| ARPA: art@pilikia.pegasus.com
Bank of Hawaii Tech Support	| UUCP: uunet!ucsd!nosc!pegasus!pilikia!art