[comp.unix.i386] Help configuring Sendmail to route unknown addresses

dave@dptechno.uucp (Dave Lee) (08/15/90)

I want to configure sendmail to send all user@system mail to a
routing site via uucp for all systems that are not know to be
direct uucp or tcp connections.

For example I want
	joe@some.system.somewhere
to send via uucp
	uunet!joe@some.system.somewhere

HOWEVER, the current sendmail file parses the above as
	(uunet!joe)@some.system.somewhere

Instead of
	uunet!(joe@some.system.somewhere)

So, I guess this is actuall 2 problems.

1)	cause sendmail to forward via uucp any unknown addresss.

2)	convert precedence from    @! to !@

I have seen several responses that claim to answer #1 with
	"just change a few lines in sendmail.cf"
but WHICH LINES ???

I can live without #2 if I can get #1 to work.

Yes I am looking at smail, but I'd prefer a sendmail alternative.

I have RTFM'd to death, but I dont get it.

System:   	ISC 2.0.2

Post or Email
Thank you.  I hope this is an OK newsgroup for this question

--
Dave Lee
uunet!dptechno!dave

Kimmo.Suominen@lut.fi (Kimmo Suominen) (08/15/90)

Dave> HOWEVER, the current sendmail file parses the above as
Dave> 	(uunet!joe)@some.system.somewhere
Dave> Instead of
Dave> 	uunet!(joe@some.system.somewhere)

That is IMHO the usual way if parsing - @ takes precedence.  If you
change it and let out those hybrid addresses, they might just be
delivered back to you from another site.  Better is to change the
address totally to a bang address or use the %-kludge.  That is: use
either one of

	uunet!some.system.somewhere!joe
	joe%some.system.somewhere@uunet.UUCP

and you'll be much better off.

To have a relay mail host, use the DR-definition in sendmail.cf and
use the line you want to in the part, where these unknown addresses en
up (search for the string "General disposition").  Leave preferably
only one of the examples uncommented.
--
Kim  ---  "That's what I think."

gary@sci34hub.UUCP (Gary Heston) (08/16/90)

In article <558@dptechno.UUCP> dave@dptechno.uucp (Dave Lee) writes:

> [ sendmail problem description deleted ]
>
>I have seen several responses that claim to answer #1 with
>	"just change a few lines in sendmail.cf"
>but WHICH LINES ???

I solved all my similar problems by converting to smail 3. I spent
more time fighting with nroff to produce readable docs (I'm not a
nroff guru) than compiling and installing smail.

>Yes I am looking at smail, but I'd prefer a sendmail alternative.

Quit looking and do it. It IS a sendmail alternative. Just make
sure you hand-install the router and map files, because make install
doesn't. Took me an extra ten minutes to fix that.... :-)

>I have RTFM'd to death, but I dont get it.

This is absolutly precisely the reason I went to smail 3. Sendmail.cf
is like trying to debug relocatable object code without a source
listing. Smail is understandable, and real easy to deal with.

>System:   	ISC 2.0.2

I'm running an implementation of ISC 1.0.6, so you should have no
problems bringing it up. Just mod the EDITME file, and go.

I got the current sources (smail3.14, I think) off uunet. Really,
it's a great way to go.

(Thanks, FSF!)

--
    Gary Heston     { uunet!sci34hub!gary  }    System Mismanager
   SCI Technology, Inc.  OEM Products Department  (i.e., computers)

chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) (08/17/90)

According to gary@sci34hub.sci.com (Gary Heston):
>I solved all my similar problems by converting to smail 3.

I agree: Smail 3 is a wonderful program.

>I got the current sources (smail3.14, I think) off uunet. Really,
>it's a great way to go.

It's stored on uunet.uu.net as ~/mail/smail3.1.19.Z.

>(Thanks, FSF!)

To my knowledge, the FSF had nothing to do with the development of
Smail 3.  Ron Karr and Landon Noll developed Smail 3 while working for
Amdahl.  The program is distributed under the GNU Public License,
though.
--
Chip Salzenberg at Teltronics/TCT     <chip@tct.uucp>, <uunet!pdn!tct!chip>
 "Most of my code is written by myself.  That is why so little gets done."