[comp.unix.i386] Problems with wd8003E/A under Interactive Unix 2.2

arneny@sfd.uit.no (Arne Nylund) (08/13/90)

I have installed Interactive Unix Ver. 2.2 and TCP/IP on a IBM PS/2 Model 70.
I am trying to configure TCP/ip to use wd8003E/A using the sysadm utility.
However, I'm not able to get any response from the ethernet card. The card
is configuered with default values (IRQ 3, IO 280-29f, Shared mem d0000-d1fff).
When I try ping nothing is happening.

I have tested the card using the diagnostic utility  (under DOS), and everything
worked fine. Does anybody know what may be wrong??

Please respond by e-mail: arneny@sfd.uit.no

Arne

rsj@wa4mei.UUCP (Randy Jarrett) (08/15/90)

In <1990Aug12.201008.8153@hod.uit.no> arneny@sfd.uit.no (Arne Nylund) writes:

>I have installed Interactive Unix Ver. 2.2 and TCP/IP on a IBM PS/2 Model 70.
>I am trying to configure TCP/ip to use wd8003E/A using the sysadm utility.
>However, I'm not able to get any response from the ethernet card. The card
>is configuered with default values (IRQ 3, IO 280-29f, Shared mem d0000-d1fff).
				     ^^^^^
could you have a conflict with the second serial port ??   It uses IRQ 3 ..

--
Randy Jarrett  WA4MEI
UUCP  ...!{emory,gatech}!wa4mei!rsj   | US SNAIL: P.O. Box 941217

tim@comcon.UUCP (Tim Brown) (08/17/90)

In article <772@wa4mei.UUCP>, rsj@wa4mei.UUCP (Randy Jarrett) writes:
> In <1990Aug12.201008.8153@hod.uit.no> arneny@sfd.uit.no (Arne Nylund) writes:
>
> >I have installed Interactive Unix Ver. 2.2 and TCP/IP on a IBM PS/2 Model 70.
> >I am trying to configure TCP/ip to use wd8003E/A using the sysadm utility.
> >However, I'm not able to get any response from the ethernet card. The card
> >is configuered with default values (IRQ 3, IO 280-29f, Shared mem d0000-d1fff).

The wd8003's shared memory is at c4000-c5fff, contrary to ISC's
defaults.  Change this and it should work fine.

--
Tim Brown            |
Computer Connection  |

dougm@ico.isc.com (Doug McCallum) (08/18/90)

In article <482@comcon.UUCP> tim@comcon.UUCP (Tim Brown) writes:
>The wd8003's shared memory is at c4000-c5fff, contrary to ISC's
>defaults.  Change this and it should work fine.

The WD8003 can have shared memory at any number of locations.  This
is entirely under program control on the AT bus but is specified by
the feature setup disk on the PS/2.  In that case, the driver reads
the shared memory range in from the POS registers.

Our documentation specifies D0000 to void conflict with VGA controllers
which overlap the C4000 address on the AT bus, so is correct as it stands
since that is where we put it by default.

Changing the address won't fix the problem since the problem is that the
driver that shipped with TCP/IP 1.2 and earlier does not support the
WD8003E/A properly.  WD introduced a number of new members to the 8003
family that were not completely software compatible with the old driver so
new driver is required.  ISC will be shipping a new release of all the
network drivers (in a separate package) sometime in the next month or so.
This release will have a WD8003 driver that supports all currently released
WD8003* boards.

The updated driver is also available through Western Digital's bulletin
board.

Doug McCallum
Interactive Systems Corp.
dougm@ico.isc.com

The above is not an official statement from Interactive.  It just reflects
my current understanding of the problem.