[comp.unix.i386] What is "No ! in UUCP!

tyager@maxx.UUCP (Tom Yager) (08/19/90)

I just finished doing a fresh install of Interactive UNIX on a new system,
and encountered an odd error message. I'm planning to call ISC on it in the
morning, but wondered if any of you might know the answer.

In attempting to send a mail message to any uucp destination, sendmail
reports the error:
   No ! in UUCP! (root)

This error appears every time with the 2.2 sendmail. I copied the 2.0.2
sendmail over and the problem disappeared.

Any clues?
(ty)

--
+--Tom Yager, Technical Editor, BYTE----Reviewer, UNIX World---------------+
|  UUCP: decvax!maxx!tyager          NET: maxx!tyager@bytepb.byte.com      |

wietse@wzv.win.tue.nl (Wietse Venema) (08/20/90)

[Followups directed to comp.mail.sendmail]

tyager@maxx.UUCP (Tom Yager) writes:

>In attempting to send a mail message to any uucp destination, sendmail
>reports the error:
>   No ! in UUCP! (root)

This happens when sendmail tries to generate a UUCP-style mail header
mailer program description).  Under this condition, sendmail wants an
address of the form:  <host!user>.  Your configuration file probably
produces the form:  <user@host>.  I ran into the same problem when I
needed both From_ lines and <user@host> in locally delivered mail, and
had to change two lines in some old sendmail source.