[comp.unix.i386] What has become of Bell Tech

puglia@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Paul Puglia) (08/14/90)

From what I can gather from the "most asked questions" article that
was recently posted to this group, Bell Technologies is now either
Intel or Intell.  Can anyone tell me which name is right?
Also does this new company sell ethernet cards and tcp/ip software?
Lastly does anyone have this new companie's phone number?

Thanks in Advance

Paul Puglia
Civil Engineering
Columbia University

puglia@cucevx.civil.columbia.edu

david@twg.com (David S. Herron) (08/15/90)

In article <1990Aug13.185129.2640@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> puglia@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Paul Puglia) writes:
>From what I can gather from the "most asked questions" article that
>was recently posted to this group, Bell Technologies is now either
>Intel or Intell.  Can anyone tell me which name is right?
>Also does this new company sell ethernet cards and tcp/ip software?
>Lastly does anyone have this new companie's phone number?

----------- Bell Technologies
The multi-purpose engine.

	[ Got one on my desk ..]

Yah.. they were bought out by Intel, makers of the fine series
of CPU's in the 8086 family.  All of the old Bell Tech products
have been relabeled as Intel or else been dropped.  (For instance
the BLIT card (otherwise known as Workstation Graphics Engine)
is officially unsupported & I am unable to get a driver for it
so's I can use the one on my shelf to run X.  sigh..)

I don't know if they sell ether cards -- I already got one.  I recently
got a version of System V from Intel (SysVr3.2.2) (it works pretty well).
They tried to give me a TCP/IP but for some reason I said "Thanks, I'll
use my own..".  (TWG's TCP/IP, NFS, and our full range of OSI software
all works fine.)

They do have X11 (r3) along with Open Look and, if you ask, Motif v1.0.A.
It's a little funky in places.  Like, I can't run my xterm's over there
because it's the Open Look version of xterm (the Motif disks didn't
have a seperate xterm.. at least that I saw) and some of the fonts
don't come up right.  (my display is the Sun 386i on the other half
of my desk, with X11R4 & all the MIT fonts plus all the fonts that
came along on the Open Look & Motif distributions).

The problem is in the scroll bars & menu's.  I don't see half of
the scroll bar, and none of the text in the menus.  Oh well.

On the other hand I've written (so far) 20,000 lines of X/Motif
code on the machine with nary a hiccup that I didn't also get
over on the Sun3.  Er..  'cept that the compiler is a bit more
liable to natter at me.

--
<- David Herron, an MMDF weenie, <david@twg.com>
<- Formerly: David Herron -- NonResident E-Mail Hack <david@ms.uky.edu>

src@scuzzy.mbx.sub.org (Heiko Blume) (08/22/90)

david@twg.com (David S. Herron) writes:
>(For instance
>the BLIT card (otherwise known as Workstation Graphics Engine)
>is officially unsupported & I am unable to get a driver for it
>so's I can use the one on my shelf to run X.  sigh..)

sell it to someone running interactive.
--
Heiko Blume c/o Diakite   blume@scuzzy.mbx.sub.org    FAX   (+49 30) 882 50 65
Kottbusser Damm 28        blume@netmbx.UUCP           VOICE (+49 30) 691 88 93