[comp.unix.i386] System VR4/i386 - when ?

perand@admin.kth.se (Per Andersson) (08/11/90)

Has anybody seen a sold rel4 for the 386 ? Can anybody quote a price ?
This has to be the best vapourware of 1990. In January agents promised
'it would be for sale in a couple of weeks'. The market is probably
screwed because it's too many home systems and too many poor system
managers which doesn't make good customers. So why worry their heads
with all this new stuff ?. SCO has no plan when r4 will be considered,
and Interactive just released 2.2. Why not concentrate on getting the
enhancement working on r4 instead ? r4 working on ICLs machines doesn't
help one bit because the big 386 market couldn't afford one, and should
better buy a Sparcstation SLC, 'cos thats not more expensive than a top
end 386, and runs DOS programs, just like the 386.

WHEN WILL I BE ABLE TO BUY SYSTEM V rel 4 FOR THE i386 ?

Per
--
---
Per Andersson

rduc@uport.UUCP (Rchard Ducoty) (08/13/90)

In article <1990Aug11.123519.21964@kth.se> perand@admin.kth.se (Per Andersson) writes:

>WHEN WILL I BE ABLE TO BUY SYSTEM V rel 4 FOR THE i386 ?

=============

Now !   Yesterday !

Call Microport @  1-408-438-8649

Richard

lee@uport.UUCP (Lee Crocker) (08/14/90)

Microport has shipped a developer's release of Unix SVR4 for $2500.
Call 800-FOR-UNIX for information.  Yes, this is an advertisement--
but the question was asked, and I kept it short.

richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) (08/14/90)

In article <326@uport.UUCP> lee@uport.UUCP (Lee Crocker) writes:
>Microport has shipped a developer's release of Unix SVR4 for $2500.
>Call 800-FOR-UNIX for information.  Yes, this is an advertisement--
>but the question was asked, and I kept it short.

You really don't have to be that cautious about it.  Since information
exchange is what this network is all about; if you provide information
without a lot of hype (and not too often) it will usually be appreciated.

I wouldn't touch SCO Unix with a ten foot pole, but I support their
informational postings here because it sets an example I'd like to see
other vendors follow.  So please don't be so timid guys.  No hype, but
real unvarnished information is very welcome.

So if you've got any details you could report I'm sure there is interest,
like what does $2500 buy you?  And why aren't man pages included?  :-)

I don't see why vendors don't post things like their compatibility
lists, etc., occasionally.  (SCO's recent bug list was long, but very
appropriate; it's surprising that no one else has the good sense to
follow suite.)  I'm not trying to encourage a free-for-all, just trying
to get the people with the info to contribute a little more.

--
Richard Foulk		richard@pegasus.com

nolan@tssi.UUCP (Michael Nolan) (08/23/90)

It may not be exactly relevant to the i386 questions, but according to
contacts within NCR, the AT&T source code being delivered is rather buggy.

Of course, as I understand it NCR is porting it to 68030, 68040, and i486
machines ONLY.  Never mind that this leaves 99% of all current computer users
in the lurch!  (And NCR has announced its intentions to abandon the 68xxx line
and go exclusively to the i486, too!  Go figure.)
Mike Nolan                                 "To err is human, to forgive
Tailored Software Services, Inc.            is divine, to procrastinate is,
Lincoln, Nebraska (402) 423-1490            um, can I get back to you on that?"
UUCP: tssi!nolan   (feed site changing, dsndata!tssi!nolan might be better)
INTERNET:  nolan@pythia.unl.edu (only if the other address doesn't work)