[comp.unix.i386] Lotus for sysV

nvk@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Norman Kohn) (08/16/90)

Lotus is advertising a system V version.  I called and was told that
it's available now; list prices around $950 single-user,
and $1100 for up to 10 users.  A clear example of pricing
to reflect "value" rather than cost; but how do you suppose
they limit the number of simultaneous users?

1) do it in the code itself: very difficult with shared text and
virtual memory

2) create lock files.  Hackable by wrapping lotus in a shell that does
chroot

3) look at process table.  Hackable by linking new names, or renaming lotus;
but of course lotus could prevent renaming itself by looking at argv[0]

Anybody know of another way?

DISCLAIMER: I HAVEN'T SEEN LOTUS OR TRIED (2) ABOVE

--
Norman Kohn   		| ...ddsw1!nvk
Chicago, Il.		| days/ans svc: (312) 650-6840

johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us (John R. Levine) (08/17/90)

In article <1990Aug16.161501.18554@ddsw1.MCS.COM> nvk@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Norman Kohn) writes:
>Lotus is advertising a system V version.  I called and was told that it's
>available now; list prices around $950 single-user, and $1100 for up to 10
>users.  A clear example of pricing to reflect "value" rather than cost; but
>how do you suppose they limit the number of simultaneous users?

We did it with lock files, but the locking scheme isn't particularly hard to
subvert.

There is no copy-protection on 1-2-3, and the user counting code isn't there
to force you to do anything, it's there to help system administrators comply
with the terms of whatever version they have bought.

--
John R. Levine, Segue Software, POB 349, Cambridge MA 02238, +1 617 864 9650
johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us, {ima|spdcc|world}!esegue!johnl

src@scuzzy.mbx.sub.org (Heiko Blume) (08/23/90)

nvk@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Norman Kohn) writes:
[...]
>3) look at process table.  Hackable by linking new names, or renaming lotus;
>but of course lotus could prevent renaming itself by looking at argv[0]

>Anybody know of another way?

sure, have a daemon running that the lotus binary send some funny messages.
if the daemon responds 'license exceeded' the prgm dies....
--
Heiko Blume c/o Diakite   blume@scuzzy.mbx.sub.org    FAX   (+49 30) 882 50 65
Kottbusser Damm 28        blume@netmbx.UUCP           VOICE (+49 30) 691 88 93