[comp.unix.i386] news,rn,etc compile on esix ?

heiser@sud509.ed.ray.com (Bill Heiser - Unix Sys Admin) (08/14/90)

Will "news", rn, etc. compile and run properly under Esix
on a 386/25?

Also, how does vp/ix work out for running dos apps on
Esix?

I want to make sure I don't get myself into another
"Coherent" type thing here... :-)

Thanks in advance,

Bill
--
Bill Heiser
	Work:   heiser@tdw201.ed.ray.com

darcy@druid.uucp (D'Arcy J.M. Cain) (08/15/90)

In article <2075@sud509.ed.ray.com> heiser@sud509.ed.ray.com (Bill Heiser - Unix Sys Admin) writes:

>Will "news", rn, etc. compile and run properly under Esix
>on a 386/25?
You don't say which news but here is a list of stuff that I have compiled and
running on my Esix 3.2D running on a 386/25:
  C News
  Elm
  Rn
  GNU C
  GNU Make
  Smail 2.5

Plus a ton of other PD stuff.  No problem.

>Also, how does vp/ix work out for running dos apps on
>Esix?
I installed Interactive's VP/ix and it works fine with a few exceptions:
  - When you want to switch virtual screens you have to press Alt-SysRq
    followed by Fx where x is the desired screen - 1.  Currently only
    the left Alt key works but I believe Esix is working on fixing this.

  - The length of the beep is about 4 or 5 seconds.  This can really get
    your nerves.  So far no one has suggested a way to fix this.

Other than that I do all my DOS development in Unix and simply call the
DOS compilers and linkers to create the programs.  I have even modified
GNU Make so that it knows how to create DOS .obj and .exe files.  I find
that it works quite well.

>I want to make sure I don't get myself into another
>"Coherent" type thing here... :-)

Don't worry.  Esix is a "real" Unix.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain (darcy@druid)     |
D'Arcy Cain Consulting             |   MS-DOS:  The Andrew Dice Clay

jon@savant.uucp (Jon Gefaell) (08/18/90)

In article <2075@sud509.ed.ray.com> heiser@sud509.ed.ray.com (Bill Heiser - Unix Sys Admin) writes:

>Will "news", rn, etc. compile and run properly under Esix
>on a 386/25?

I'm running ESIX, and C news, trn (a recent rn superset, I used to run rn, but
switched to this), less, kermit, Zmodem, elm, ad nauseum. There _are_ things
you often have to change around (minor) and mostly things work like they do
for Interactive. I'm also running FAS Async Drivers, a Polled LP driver (so's
I could free up IRQ's for the ARChive tape drive and mouse, and WD8003E Ether
net adapter...) It's great stuff...

BUT, I'm kinda dumb, and don't have mail working right, so I couldn't answer
privately in e-mail, net.bandwidths godz please be kind :)

>Also, how does vp/ix work out for running dos apps on
>Esix?
>
>I want to make sure I don't get myself into another
>"Coherent" type thing here... :-)
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Bill
>--
>Bill Heiser
>	Work:   heiser@tdw201.ed.ray.com
>		{decuac,necntc,uunet}!rayssd!tdw201!heiser
>	Home:   Bill.Heiser@f240.n322.z1.fidonet.org (Fidonet 1:322/240)
>		The Think_Tank BBS (508)655-3848  1200/2400/9600-HST
>	Other:  75106.2332@compuserve.com
>	Other:	heiser@world.std.com     (Public Access Unix)

--
+----------- Domain? DOMAIN? We Don't Need No Steeeenkin' Domain! -----------+
|I wish I had something interesting to put in my .signature file, but I don't|

john@cstreet.uu.net (John Poplett) (08/22/90)

In article <1990Aug17.191803.13873@savant.uucp> jon@savant.uucp (Jon Gefaell) writes:
>In article <2075@sud509.ed.ray.com> heiser@sud509.ed.ray.com (Bill Heiser - Unix Sys Admin) writes:
>>
>>Will "news", rn, etc. compile and run properly under Esix
>>on a 386/25?
>
>I'm running ESIX, and C news, trn (a recent rn superset, I used to run rn, but

A superset of rn??? My eyes deceive me, surely.
--
John Poplett @ C Street Software     | A woman who doesn't change
312 Wolff St. Oxnard, Ca. 93033 USA  | her mind, doesn't have one.

In article <1990Aug22.070152.10361@cstreet.uu.net> john@cstreet.UUCP (John Poplett) writes:

| A superset of rn??? My eyes deceive me, surely.

  The authior is working on a superset of GNUemacs now... ;-)
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

>>I'm running ESIX, and C news, trn (a recent rn superset, I used to run rn, but
>
>A superset of rn??? My eyes deceive me, surely.

Nope, not at all.  It's based on "rn", but handles discussion threads
(the "t" in "trn").  It can show you a list of the discussion threads
(constructed using the Reference: lines and the Subject: lines) in a
group (rather than showing you all the *articles*), lets you select and
read a thread, and lets you walk up and down the thread's tree.

Some of us think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.