[comp.unix.i386] Broken 6386!

pjh@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) (08/22/90)

My nice new 6386E/33 refuses to boot from the floppy drive!  This began
after I tried to re-install UNIX SV R3.2.2 from the diskettes supplied
by Consensys, the caching controller people.

I booted their FORMAT.PS diskette and formatted the #1 HD, then switched
to the BOOT.PS diskette -- a modified version of the SVR3.2.2 distribution
diskette #1 --, rebooted, hit <space> at the appropriate point, and
typed "unix.PS" as per their instructions.  "Can't find file" was the result.

I then decided to remove their controller and install a WD1007-WA2.  No
joy there either, so the PS controller went back in.  Now, when I power
up, the "fault" light goes on immediately and stays on, POST runs
faultlessly, indicating that I have 2 floppies, but showing failure for
the hard disk(s).  And a 1790 error appears, and tells me to hit F1 to
continue.  I get a message about a boot, but the FD access LED stays
dark and nothing happens (except that the NUM/SCROLL/CAPS Lock LEDs are on)!

Before I waste a call to the Hot Line, does anyone have any suggestions?
I have already removed the Starlan board and the multiport boards, and
even removed the controller briefly, but turning the power on turns on
the fault light!

Thanks,
Pete

--
Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
Voice: 609-586-4800          Engineering Technology, Computers and Math

aland@infmx.UUCP (Colonel Panic) (08/25/90)

I would have emailed the following, but this is important info
for anybody using or planning to obtain Consensys caching controllers.
If not interested in this subject, hit 'n' now...

In article <1990Aug21.232347.14038@mccc.uucp> pjh@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) writes:
>My nice new 6386E/33 refuses to boot from the floppy drive!  This began
>after I tried to re-install UNIX SV R3.2.2 from the diskettes supplied
>by Consensys, the caching controller people.
>
>I booted their FORMAT.PS diskette and formatted the #1 HD, then switched
>to the BOOT.PS diskette -- a modified version of the SVR3.2.2 distribution
>diskette #1 --, rebooted, hit <space> at the appropriate point, and
>typed "unix.PS" as per their instructions.  "Can't find file" was the result.

Uh, methinks you got some steps out of order.  The logical flow of
Consensys install is:

1) boot with FORMAT.POWERSTOR to re-LLF hard disk 0
2) boot with BOOT.POWERSTOR to run regular original boot processing
   (define sizes for partitions/filesystems on disk 0; load barebones
   UNIX on hard disk root and /usr.  When complete, the UNIX fireup
   is altered to start at disk 2 after reboot.

for these first two steps, do *not* specify an alternate kernel.  Since
"/unix.PS" doesn't exist until after step 2, this explains your
trouble.

3) reboot from hard disk to install rest of foundation set
   NOW you specify the alternate kernel /unix.PS.  It will prompt you
   for disks 2-n of the foundation set, rebuild the kernel, then
   shutdown.

4) reboot from hard disk to install POWERSTOR disk drivers
   AGAIN you specify the alternate kernel /unix.PS.  Run installpkg to
   install the POWERSTOR drivers from the powerstor installation
   diskette.  Once done, it initiates a shutdown.  Upon next boot and
   forever after, you don't have to respecify the kernel.

>I then decided to remove their controller and install a WD1007-WA2.  No
>joy there either, so the PS controller went back in.  Now, when I power

You couldn't boot with the AT&T original disk 1 (or copy thereof) on
the WD?  What were the symptoms?  Did you run SETUP to re-recognize
the hard disk(s)?  (Remember, you had to undefine the hard disks for
the Consensys controller).  Also, since the drive no longer has a
low-level format that the WD controller can recognize, this may cause
problems as well.  (And, according to the Hotline, the "hidden" LLF
on the Diagnostics disk has fatal bugs.  Isn't that special!  The
Hotline will ship "fixed" LLF disk on request.)

>up, the "fault" light goes on immediately and stays on, POST runs
>faultlessly, indicating that I have 2 floppies, but showing failure for
>the hard disk(s).  And a 1790 error appears, and tells me to hit F1 to
>continue.  I get a message about a boot, but the FD access LED stays
>dark and nothing happens (except that the NUM/SCROLL/CAPS Lock LEDs are on)!

If UNIX install can't find a hard disk, I suppose that it may just
hang indefinitely...

>Before I waste a call to the Hot Line, does anyone have any suggestions?
>I have already removed the Starlan board and the multiport boards, and
>even removed the controller briefly, but turning the power on turns on
>the fault light!

This is NORMAL for that  machine.  The fault light comes on after every
powerup or reset and shuts off *after* all POST tests and device checks
are made.  Don't let the light bother you.  To have gotten past the
PS FORMAT stage is a good sign -- your floppy drive could read that
disk, at least -- so I don't suspect the drive.

>Thanks, Pete

The Consensys installation is pretty complex and not sufficiently
well-documented.  However, once you get beyond that, it's a real
screamer.  Have you been in contact with Consensys people?  If so,
ask them if the version of the software that you have includes
Alan Denney's (my) fixes for Alternate Console support and Streaming
Tape Unit support.  (Bob Ripley and Vas Rajevsky will know what you
mean).  If not, I can send you my fixed versions directly, assuming
your boot drive is 3.5".  If you're still lost, give me a call
at (415) 926-6619 -- the Consensys User Group hotline  :-]  :-]  :-]

--
Alan Denney  @  Informix Software, Inc.          "We're homeward bound
aland@informix.com  {pyramid|uunet}!infmx!aland   ('tis a damn fine sound!)