[comp.unix.i386] ANSI C for ISC UNIX?

misko@abhg.UUCP (William Miskovetz) (08/18/90)

I'm looking for an ANSI C compiler for Interactive's UNIX 2.2.
Now, I have the manual for their Software Development System, 2.2,
and it talks about the LPI New C compiler.  The manual says that the
ISC SDS contains the LPI C compiler.  A brochure I have from ISC
says that the ISC SDS contains the LPI C compiler.  But, a price
list I have has seperate prices for LPI C, ISC SDS, CodeWatch, and
CoEdit.  But the manual makes it sound like LPI C, CodeWatch, and
CoEdit are part of the Release 2.2 SDS.  Does anyone know the facts?
I called ISC and they weren't much help and either was my distributor.
I have a hard time believing that I have to buy LPI C, CodeWatch, and
CoEdit seperately as their individual prices sum up to more than
the Application Developers Package which is suppose to include all
of the LPI packages plus UNIX, DWB, VP/ix, and Ten/Plus.

Anyway, if someone knows what really comes with ISC's 2.2 Software
Development System, and what the best way to get an ANSI compiler
for ISC is, I'd appreciate some info.  Thanks in advance.

Bill Miskovetz
{uunet!lll-winken, apple!mathworks}!abhg!misko
misko@mathworks.com
abhg!misko@lll-winken.llnl.gov

johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us (John R. Levine) (08/18/90)

In article <253@abhg.UUCP> you write:
>I'm looking for an ANSI C compiler for Interactive's UNIX 2.2.
>[and it's not clear whether the LPI compiler is bundled or not]

My copy of the 2.2 application developer platform did indeed contain
LPI C.  I haven't installed it, though, because after I looked at the
manual, I didn't see any compelling reason to switch from GCC.

GCC runs on ISC Unix straight out of the box (or off the net, or whatever)
if you configure it for Sys V 386 and use the ISC assembler and linker.
Under 2.2, there is some confusion about ANSI vs. POSIX features in
header files, but nothing too traumatic.

Has anyone compared the code quality of GCC to LPI?  There's a rather
disconcerting note in the LPI manual that suggests that LPI never uses
indexed addressing modes unless you use a special switch.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us, {spdcc|ima|world}!esegue!johnl

shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) (08/20/90)

misko@abhg.UUCP (William Miskovetz) writes:

>Anyway, if someone knows what really comes with ISC's 2.2 Software
>Development System, and what the best way to get an ANSI compiler
>for ISC is, I'd appreciate some info.  Thanks in advance.

	I recently received the ISV upgrade to 2.2's Software Development
	System (which should be identical to the standard release). LPI's
	New C (ANSI conformant), Codewatch and Codeview are included.
	Have tried only New C, but removed it since too much appears
	broken. To date, I'm sticking with the standard compiler, which
	is MUCH faster, and offers a POSIX option as well.

						shwake@rsxtech[.uucp]

support@ism780c.isc.com (Support account) (08/20/90)

In article <253@abhg.UUCP> misko@abhg.UUCP (William Miskovetz) writes:
>I'm looking for an ANSI C compiler for Interactive's UNIX 2.2.
>Now, I have the manual for their Software Development System, 2.2,
>and it talks about the LPI New C compiler.  The manual says that the
>ISC SDS contains the LPI C compiler.  A brochure I have from ISC
>says that the ISC SDS contains the LPI C compiler.  But, a price
>list I have has seperate prices for LPI C, ISC SDS, CodeWatch, and
>CoEdit.  But the manual makes it sound like LPI C, CodeWatch, and
>CoEdit are part of the Release 2.2 SDS.  Does anyone know the facts?

The manual is correct. LPI's New C Ansi compiler is
included with the Software Development System. That
compiler, as well as the other LPI products, can also
be purchased individually, hence their inclusion on
the price list. Apologies for any confusion.

misko@abhg.UUCP (William Miskovetz) (08/22/90)

A few days ago I posted asking if anyone knew if the ISC 2.2 SDS
came with LPI C as I was looking for an ANSI C compiler.  I
received many responses.  From these responses I've determined two
things:

  1. LPI C is now included in ISC's SDS.  Don't let ISC sales tell
     you different.  And tell your distributors.  I need to tell mine.

  2. Everyone who has LPI C that replied to me either doesn't use it
     or claims that it doesn't work.  Everyone else suggests that I
     get GNU C and build it which is what I did.  GNU C and GNU gdb
     compile and run just fine.  My /usr/include files needed a
     little tweaking, but that's not too bad.  I use GNU C with
     ISC's 'as' and 'ld'.  A week or so ago someone posted all the
     necessary diffs for gas and gld, but I'm happy with what I have.

Thanks to all those that responded.

Bill Miskovetz
{uunet!lll-winken, apple!mathworks}!abhg!misko
misko@mathworks.com
abhg!misko@lll-winken.llnl.gov

As an aside, I wanted an ANSI C compiler to build gnuchess 3.1 which
requires an ANSI compiler.  GNU C built it with a few tweaks here and
there.  The -traditional switch might have helped, but I'm stubborn.
gnuchess works fine with xchess that came with ISC X 1.0.  Is it
only me or did xchess not come with ISC X 1.1?  And is ISC X 1.2
available yet?

larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) (08/26/90)

misko@abhg.UUCP (William Miskovetz) writes:

>only me or did xchess not come with ISC X 1.1?  And is ISC X 1.2
>available yet?

I have heard from a friend that it is available.

I can't tell you what the differences between 1.1 and 1.2 are other
than support for more video boards --

            uucp: iuvax!ndmath!nstar!larry  -or-  larry@nstar
     Public Access Unix Site (219) 289-0282 (5 lines/PEP/HST/Hayes-V)