* RaiderNet Public Access    *Middle Tenn's Unix Gateway*   Murfreesboro, TN *
* Data:(615)896-8716 896-7905 Voice:(615)849-4390 Mail:PO Box 2371 Zip 37133 *
* Domain: root@raider.MFEE.TN.US UUCP: uunet!mjbtn!raider!root    HAM: AB4SU *
* Shell Accounts, Mail/USENET UUCP Links Available  -- Send Mail for Details *

jrh@mustang.dell.com (James Howard) (08/14/90)

In article <11@raider.mfee.tn.us>, root@raider.mfee.tn.us (Bob Reineri) writes:
> I recently installed the SCO Unix 3.2.0 Development system on my Tandy 4000.
> There appears to be a problem with the cc compiler. Whenever it encounters an
> error, it prints out the error number, but no error text. For example:

these look like MSC error messages, I don't know how to turn on the full
text of the message though.  I've added the MSC descriptions below for those
that I have documented:

>          C2079:
	'identifier' is an undefined struct/union.
	The given identifier was declared as a structure or union type
	that had not been defined.

>          C2031:
	'identifier' : function cannot be struct/union member.
	The given function was declared to be a member of a structure or
	union.  To correct this error, use a pointer to the function instead.

>          C8088:
	I don't have info on this error.

> Is all I see.
>
> Anyone have any ideas on this at all ? I checked the perms on the files that
> contain the error messages. Can find no clues.....
>
> Thanks for any help you can provide.

James Howard        Dell Computer Corp.        !'s:uunet!dell!mustang!jrh
(512) 343-3480      9505 Arboretum Blvd        @'s:jrh@mustang.dell.com
                    Austin, TX 78759-7299

john@beaudin.UUCP (John Beaudin) (08/14/90)

root@raider.mfee.tn.us (Bob Reineri) writes:

>I recently installed the SCO Unix 3.2.0 Development system on my Tandy 4000.
>There appears to be a problem with the cc compiler. Whenever it encounters an
>error, it prints out the error number, but no error text. For example:

>         C2079:
>         C2031:
>         C8088:

>Is all I see.

>Anyone have any ideas on this at all ? I checked the perms on the files that
>contain the error messages. Can find no clues.....

I encountered this. The error msg text suddenly became properly verbose after,
just nosing around in desparation, I installed the Xenix Cross Development
package of the Development System. No problems since then.
--
My .signature is awaiting apropriate display technology

jbwaters@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (J. Brian Waters) (08/15/90)

> In article <11@raider.mfee.tn.us>, root@raider.mfee.tn.us (Bob Reineri) writes:
> > I recently installed the SCO Unix 3.2.0 Development system on my Tandy 4000.
> > There appears to be a problem with the cc compiler. Whenever it encounters an
> > error, it prints out the error number, but no error text. For example:
> > Anyone have any ideas on this at all ? I checked the perms on the files that
> > contain the error messages. Can find no clues.....
> >
> > Thanks for any help you can provide.

I had this problem also.  It went away after I installed the Xenix and DOS
parts of the development system.  My guess is some files needed for the erros
messages are incorrectly included with those parts.
--
Brian Waters              <backbone>!{iuvax|pur-ee}!bsu-cs!jbwaters

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR/KT) (08/16/90)

As quoted from <11665@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> by jbwaters@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (J. Brian Waters):
+---------------
| I had this problem also.  It went away after I installed the Xenix and DOS
| parts of the development system.  My guess is some files needed for the erros
| messages are incorrectly included with those parts.
+---------------

Correct.  Go into custom, select Install, Development System, Files, 386 Xenix
Cross Development package, then select the two files ending in ".err"; I think
they're "p1.err" and "p2-3.err", but they're the only two ending with ".err".
That fixed it for me.

My preferred fix, however, is "rm /bin/cc; ln /bin/rcc /bin/cc".  Or
substitute "gcc -traditional".

++Brandon
--
Me: Brandon S. Allbery			    VHF: KB8JRR/KT on 220 (soon others)
Internet: allbery@NCoast.ORG		    Delphi: ALLBERY

djm408@tijc02.uucp (David Marks) (08/17/90)

From article <11@raider.mfee.tn.us>, by root@raider.mfee.tn.us (Bob Reineri):
> I recently installed the SCO Unix 3.2.0 Development system on my Tandy 4000.
> There appears to be a problem with the cc compiler. Whenever it encounters an
> error, it prints out the error number, but no error text. For example:
>
>          C2079:
>          C2031:
>          C8088:
>
> Is all I see.
>
> Anyone have any ideas on this at all ? I checked the perms on the files that
> contain the error messages. Can find no clues.....
>
> Thanks for any help you can provide.
>
> Bob
> --
> * RaiderNet Public Access    *Middle Tenn's Unix Gateway*   Murfreesboro, TN *
> * Data:(615)896-8716 896-7905 Voice:(615)849-4390 Mail:PO Box 2371 Zip 37133 *
> * Domain: root@raider.MFEE.TN.US UUCP: uunet!mjbtn!raider!root    HAM: AB4SU *
> * Shell Accounts, Mail/USENET UUCP Links Available  -- Send Mail for Details *

We had the same problem until we contacted SCO about it: It appears that the
installation procedure screwed up when installing the compiler error files.
Move /lib/*err to /lib/386 and you'll be in error message heaven!

    ____  ___ _  _  __ ____     ____    _ _  ___  ___   _ _   ____
    /  / /  /  | /  /  /  /      /     //// /  / /  /   / /  /___
   /  / /--/   |/  /  /  /   /  /     /  / /--/ /--\   / \      /
  ~~~~ ~  ~    ~  ~~ ~~~~    ~~~  ~  ~  ~ ~  ~ ~   ~  ~  ~  ~~~~
Electric Avenue:...!mcnc!rti!olympus!djm408        Ma Bell: 615-461-2074
================                                  ========
Pony Express: David J. Marks M/S3520 Texas Instruments
============= Erwin Highway/P. O. Drawer 1255  Johnson City, TN. 37605

seanf@sco.COM (Sean Fagan) (08/21/90)

In article <1990Aug16.215542.2958@tijc02.uucp> djm408@tijc02.uucp (David Marks) writes:
>We had the same problem until we contacted SCO about it: It appears that the
>installation procedure screwed up when installing the compiler error files.
>Move /lib/*err to /lib/386 and you'll be in error message heaven!

*No*!  That will give you the '286 error messages, and, yes, there are some
differences.

The correct thing to do is to install, from the Xenix Cross Dev,
/lib/386/c1.err and /lib/386/c23.err (you can select these files).

--
Sean Eric Fagan  | "let's face it, finding yourself dead is one
seanf@sco.COM    |   of life's more difficult moments."

ch@dce.ie (Charles Bryant) (08/22/90)

In article <11@raider.mfee.tn.us> root@raider.mfee.tn.us (Bob Reineri) writes:
>I recently installed the SCO Unix 3.2.0 Development system on my Tandy 4000.
>There appears to be a problem with the cc compiler. Whenever it encounters an
>error, it prints out the error number, but no error text.

This happened to us too. The error files are: c1.err c23.err cc.err and are
installed in /lib. This is incorrect, they should be in /lib/386 and linking
them in there will make the compiler produce messages.

walter@mecky.UUCP (Walter Mecky) (08/24/90)

In article <1990Aug20.235609.1843@sco.COM> seanf@sco.COM (Sean Fagan) writes:
< The correct thing to do is to install, from the Xenix Cross Dev,
< /lib/386/c1.err and /lib/386/c23.err (you can select these files).

What about "cc.err"? There is one in /lib but not in /lib/386. Does
the "cc" command not use it? If I had such a line in /etc/default/cc:

	FLAGS=-M3 # comment

I only get "Command line warning D4002 : " from "cc". No message,
even if I linked /lib/cc.err in /lib/386. Is this ok, Sean?
--
Walter Mecky	[ walter@mecky.uucp	or  ...uunet!unido!mecky!walter ]

seanf@sco.COM (Sean Fagan) (08/27/90)

In article <751@mecky.UUCP> walter@mecky.UUCP (Walter Mecky) writes:
>What about "cc.err"? There is one in /lib but not in /lib/386. Does
>the "cc" command not use it? If I had such a line in /etc/default/cc:
>
>	FLAGS=-M3 # comment
>
>I only get "Command line warning D4002 : " from "cc". No message,
>even if I linked /lib/cc.err in /lib/386. Is this ok, Sean?

Yes.  There's a ... misfeature in the code for /bin/cc:  it opens up
/etc/default/<whatever> before it sets up the error file.  Thus, it has
nothing to look for!  (I'm going to change this, and see if it breaks
anything 8-).  It shouldn't, though.)

cc wants /lib/cc.err, not /lib/386/cc.err, btw.