[comp.unix.i386] Tape cartridge hung

UH2@psuvm.psu.edu (Lee Sailer) (07/25/90)

We are having a problem where a
   tar cv dirname
commands "seems" to start working, but then freezes up.  The
default in /etc/default/tar seems right.  The tape /dev/rct0 starts
to whir, and tar prints out the first 6 or 7 files being added to the
archive, but then the tape and the tar output just come to a halt.

Nothing seems to kill it except removing the tape cartridge, which causes
a tar:  write error  message.

Reading with $ tar xv  just produces some more whirring of the tape
drive, followed after 10 seconds or so by a tar: cannot read and a
read: i/o error.

Details:  SCO Unix 3.2 on Compaq 386/33 with Compaq 150/250 drive.
          tape rewind; tape reset seem to function but do not cure problem.
           /etc/default/tar sets block to 20 and size to 100000.
           tar works when output goes to an ordinary file.

We are currently looking around for another Drive to swap, to see if
it is a hardware problem.  SCO is thinking.  We are thinking.  I hope
somebody out there has already seen and fixed this one.

                                                       Thanks.  lee

clewis@eci386.uucp (Chris Lewis) (07/31/90)

In article <90206.103115UH2@psuvm.psu.edu> UH2@psuvm.psu.edu (Lee Sailer) writes:
> We are having a problem where a
>    tar cv dirname
> commands "seems" to start working, but then freezes up.
> Details:  SCO Unix 3.2 on Compaq 386/33 with Compaq 150/250 drive.

Is that a tape drive?  Early Wangtek 60Mb streamers had some sort of
bug in the controller that caused them to hang when used with UNIX
or Xenix.  Wangtek was shipping 150's for a while for no extra charge.
--
Chris Lewis, Elegant Communications Inc, {uunet!attcan,utzoo}!lsuc!eci386!clewis

mason@oct1.UUCP (David Mason) (08/02/90)

In article <1990Jul30.210437.17290@eci386.uucp> clewis@eci386.UUCP (Chris Lewis)
writes:
>Is that a tape drive?  Early Wangtek 60Mb streamers had some sort of
>bug in the controller that caused them to hang when used with UNIX
>or Xenix.  Wangtek was shipping 150's for a while for no extra charge.

Please, tell me more.  We have installed a large number of the Wangtek
60 Mb tape drives over the last few years, and every now and then one
hangs.  The tape stops, the light on the cartridge drive stays on and
the associated cpio process hangs.  Only a reboot clears it.

We usually find that by replacing the controller (Wangtek Assy 30850)
the problem is fixed.  Our supplier hates honouring his warranty, because
it "works fine when I try it".  Of course, he tests it under Dos.

Does anyone know if this problem has definitely been fixed in later
revisions?  The controllers are marked with revision letters, so something
must have changed.

Thanks.
--------------------
David               |      mason@oct1 (David M Mason)

kevin@utekza.UUCP (Kevin Gribble) (08/03/90)

%
%--------------------
%David               |      mason@oct1 (David M Mason)
%                    |      olsa99!oct1!mason@ddsw1.mcs.com

The reason for having to reboot your system hanging is that if try and
kill the process it causes a 'defunk' process, apparently you can kill
process like 'tar' or 'cpio'.

I must admit I have had some customers with the same problem. I have seen
on the BBS that SCO are now working on a fix for Wangtek. It did not say
for which tape drive (60 MB or 150 MB), but was due for release soon.

Kevin Gribble
kevin@utekza.UUCP

tmh@prosun.first.gmd.de (Thomas Hoberg) (08/14/90)

I have an Archive Viper QIC02 60MB streamer with an Archive controller
that will hang, too, sometimes. I am under the impression though, that
this will only occur when a couple of tape accesses come within a short
time (e.g. rewind, status, cartridge change, rewind, cpio -itvc, *BREAK*,
cpio ivxdmc ....). If I leave it alone for a minute after three operations
or so, it won't hang. Whenever it hangs, there is no way to kill the
offending process: it seems to be blocked on a read in the kernel and
no amount of signalling will wake it up. This is especially nasty when
the offending command was run on the console, because uadmin 2 0, init 0 or
shutdown can only be executed from the console (going single user takes
care of that), still that leaves a file system busy. I have had this
bug consistently with ISC 1.06, 2.0.0 and 2.0.2.

clewis@eci386.uucp (Chris Lewis) (08/15/90)

In article <8@utekza.UUCP> kevin@utekza.UUCP (Kevin Gribble) writes:
> In article <1990Aug2.074751.4386@oct1.UUCP> mason@oct1.UUCP (David Mason) writes:
> >In article <1990Jul30.210437.17290@eci386.uucp> clewis@eci386.UUCP (Chris Lewis)
> >writes:
> %>Is that a tape drive?  Early Wangtek 60Mb streamers had some sort of
> %>bug in the controller that caused them to hang when used with UNIX
> %>or Xenix.  Wangtek was shipping 150's for a while for no extra charge.

> %Please, tell me more.  We have installed a large number of the Wangtek
> %60 Mb tape drives over the last few years, and every now and then one
> %hangs.  The tape stops, the light on the cartridge drive stays on and
> %the associated cpio process hangs.  Only a reboot clears it.

I heard this verbally from the support people for our 386 motherboard
(SCI), and since they were quite reliable on other things, I can only
assume that this was true.  Unfortunately, they didn't isssue a Engineering
note on the subject, so I can't give you any other details than that.
This was about 1 1/2 years ago, so one would assume that if Wangtek was
going to do anything about it, it would have been done by now.  Which
would explain why replacing your controller with a new one usually fixes
the problem.

In our case, the whole system locks up.  But we waited too long to persue
it with our tape vendor, and we still have the one that hangs.  Scenario:
we do automated nightly backups, designed to write as close to 60Mb as
possible.  The chance of system lockup appears to be approximately
1 night in 5.  If we try doing any substantial tape activity during normal
daily loading, the chances of lockup are considerably higher.  Since the
whole system locks up, there's no way of killing it, so it ain't a defunct
process per-se.  Further, the exact symptoms of the problem would differ
depending on your tape device driver, so I'd imagine our 'ix (1.0.6) would
differ from ix 2+ or SCO Xenix/UNIX.
--
Chris Lewis, Elegant Communications Inc, {uunet!attcan,utzoo}!lsuc!eci386!clewis

john@argmsd.UUCP (john) (08/17/90)

We recently experienced tape hang problems using Wangtek 150mb
drive on 386 and 486 machines with SCO Unix 3.2.0.

Many of our tape operations required a tape reset command
before attempting to execute say a TAR or CPIO command. If the
system was pretty active you would find that the tape operation
would hang and you would have difficulty in killing the process.

The real bad part about this situation is that we found that
after one of the tape hangs had occurred, the subsequents tape
writes would be CORRUPTED. We found this out the hard way when
trying to restore one of our backups!

The problem has been resolved by installing SCO Unix 3.2.1.

John Lindenberg
Argus Newspapers
Media Systems Development

duncan@unisup1.UUCP (Duncan Anderson) (08/27/90)

From article <8@utekza.UUCP>, by kevin@utekza.UUCP (Kevin Gribble):
> I must admit I have had some customers with the same problem. I have seen
> on the BBS that SCO are now working on a fix for Wangtek. It did not say
> for which tape drive (60 MB or 150 MB), but was due for release soon.

The fix in question is apparently unx200, which hasn't come out yet.
SCO reckons it is currently in preparation.

regards
Duncan Anderson
email: unisup1!duncan