[comp.unix.i386] which is better: 8 more Meg RAM or a 33-387 to run X?

gichan@blake.u.washington.edu (Gilbert Chan) (08/23/90)

I'm posting this article for a friend, PLEASE reply to him direct at
bchan@ddn-eur.ddn.mil.

Thank you.

I am planning on ungrading my Gateway 33-386 w/4 Megs of RAM to run ESIX
rev D.

Which one will give me a faster system:

1) 12 Megs of RAM
2) 4 Megs of RAM + a 33-387.

Please email direct and I'll summarize if there're enough interests.

Thanx,

Brian Chan
Stuttgart, FRG

email:bchan@ddn-eur.ddn.mil

chandler@beagle.uucp (Jim Chandler) (08/24/90)

In article <6637@milton.u.washington.edu>, gichan@blake.u.washington.edu (Gilbert Chan) writes:
> I am planning on ungrading my Gateway 33-386 w/4 Megs of RAM to run ESIX
> rev D.
>
> Which one will give me a faster system:
>
> 1) 12 Megs of RAM
> 2) 4 Megs of RAM + a 33-387.

Get the 8 additional megs.  With only 4 Megs the machine will swap like
crazy and X will be just about useless.  I run X under 8 Megs total with
no problem but 4 was a nightmare.  BTW, I am also running ESIX Rev. D.

--
Jim Chandler
asuvax!xroads!beagle!chandler

heiser@tdw201.ed.ray.com (08/27/90)

In article <208@beagle.uucp> chandler@beagle.uucp (Jim Chandler) writes:

>Get the 8 additional megs.  With only 4 Megs the machine will swap like
>crazy and X will be just about useless.  I run X under 8 Megs total with
>no problem but 4 was a nightmare.  BTW, I am also running ESIX Rev. D.

Yeah -- with my system (8megs), I found that I have to work to make
it swap at all.  If I run X, and several compiles, and bbs software,
it comes down to a few hundred k free, and then I can get it to swap
by opening a couple more xterms.  At that point, the system is so
slow I wouldn't want to work with it anyway ...   It looks like
8mb is a good number for most normal apps.

--
Bill Heiser
	Work:   heiser@tdw201.ed.ray.com