[comp.unix.i386] ULIMIT

yergeau@EE-CF.Stanford.EDU (Daniel W. Yergeau) (08/25/90)

How do you increase the ULIMIT parameter?  I have tried changing the values
in the mtune file in the configuration directory and rebuilding the kernel,
but this didn't seem to have any effect (yes, I rebooted after rebuilding the
kernel).

Even when I'm root, I cannot create files larger than 4096 blocks [grrr! :^(].

I have Esix Rev. D, if that matters.

Many thanks in advance.

Dan Yergeau
yergeau@EE-CF.Stanford.EDU

#include <disclaimer.h>

art@pilikia.pegasus.com (Art Neilson) (08/27/90)

In article <941@helens.Stanford.EDU> yergeau@EE-CF.Stanford.EDU (Daniel W. Yergeau) writes:
>How do you increase the ULIMIT parameter?  I have tried changing the values
>in the mtune file in the configuration directory and rebuilding the kernel,
>but this didn't seem to have any effect (yes, I rebooted after rebuilding the
>kernel).

In ISC UNIX, you can just add the following line:

ULIMIT=nnnnn

to the file /etc/default/login.  Set 'nnnnn' to whatever number strikes
your fancy, I use 32767.  A more permanent solution is to use idtune(1M)
to set the kernel tunable ULIMIT to a particular value.  idtune resides
in /etc/conf/bin, probably not in your path.  Use the -f option to idtune
to override the minimum or maximum allowable value for the parameter, as
shown in /etc/conf/cf.d/mtune (see mtune(4) for format info).  An example:

idtune -f ULIMIT 32767

will add or change the ULIMIT tunable in /etc/conf/cf.d/stune (see stune(4)).
If you want to just put the parameter in yourself, you can edit stune by hand
with vi.  After making your change to stune via idtune or vi you will need
to rebuild your kernel.  You can do this with kconfig(1), or with idbuild(1M)
for the courageous ;^).

--
Arthur W. Neilson III		| ARPA: art@pilikia.pegasus.com
Bank of Hawaii Tech Support	| UUCP: uunet!ucsd!nosc!pegasus!pilikia!art

In article <941@helens.Stanford.EDU> yergeau@EE-CF.Stanford.EDU (Daniel W. Yergeau) writes:
>How do you increase the ULIMIT parameter?  I have tried changing the values
>in the mtune file in the configuration directory and rebuilding the kernel,
>but this didn't seem to have any effect (yes, I rebooted after rebuilding the
>kernel).

Do any of the following:

 1. Read the monthly FAQ posting (last posted around Aug 7)
 2. Read the login man page (discussion of /etc/default/login)
 3. Delete the ULIMIT line from /etc/default/login

>Even when I'm root, I cannot create files larger than 4096 blocks [grrr! :^(].

When your root, all you have to do is:

		ulimit 999999

to increase your ulimit above the system/login default.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170

cws@janus.Quotron.com (Craig W. Shaver) (08/28/90)

In article <941@helens.Stanford.EDU>, yergeau@EE-CF.Stanford.EDU (Daniel W. Yergeau) writes:
> How do you increase the ULIMIT parameter?  I have tried changing the values

Look in the /etc/default area for some files with ULIMIT in them.
(fgrep ULIMIT *).  I think the file you want is 'login'.

	Craig W. Shaver

Quotron Systems Inc.    | Phone: (213) 302-4247
5454 Beethoven Street   | uucp: trwrb!scgvaxd!janus!cws
Post Office Box 66914	| craig@tradr2.quotron.com
Los Angeles, CA 90066   |