[comp.unix.i386] VI Editor Wanted For My PC

noring@netcom.UUCP (Jon Noring) (08/24/90)

Hello,

I'd like to find a vi or vi-like editor for my 386 pc.

Any help or suggestions from out there in Usenetia would be most
appreciated.  Jon Noring

mcjilton@handel.CS.ColoState.Edu (charles mar mcjilton) (08/26/90)

In article <12476@netcom.UUCP> noring@netcom.UUCP (Jon Noring) writes:
>Hello,
>
>I'd like to find a vi or vi-like editor for my 386 pc.
>
>Any help or suggestions from out there in Usenetia would be most
>appreciated.  Jon Noring

I have the MKS version of vi.  It's a very good duplication of the UN*X
versions that I've used.  MKS stands for Mortice Kern Systems, BTW.  I
think when my company got it, it was in the neighborhood of $139US.
Not a lot of money considering the ammount it has upped my productivity
over using Brief.

<Using a friends account>
Sean

patterso@usceast.UUCP (Mitchell Patterson) (08/27/90)

Yesterday or so someone posted the code for elvis, a vi-like editor for
DOS and various flavors of UNIX.  I don't know how it stacks up against
the MKS version, but right away there's the obvious advantage that it's
free.  If noone reposts the code or supplies an FTP site for it, mail
me your address and I'll mail you the sh arvchives. Or not. :)

dlawyer@balboa.eng.uci.edu (David Lawyer) (08/28/90)

In article <patterso.651698838@usceast> patterso@usceast.UUCP (Mitchell Patterson) writes:

>Yesterday or so someone posted the code for elvis, a vi-like editor for
>DOS and various flavors of UNIX.

It is posted in alt.sources so if you act fast you may pick up a copy
provided you get this newsgroup.  I've used elvis a little and found it
a little slow, but I expect it to be improved.  I was able to patch it
(remapped the keyboard) and used it to edit Russian text.

			Dave Lawyer

scotte@applix.com (Scott Evernden) (08/29/90)

In article <patterso.651698838@usceast> patterso@usceast.UUCP (Mitchell Patterson) writes:

>Yesterday or so someone posted the code for elvis, a vi-like editor for
>DOS and various flavors of UNIX.  I don't know how it stacks up against
>the MKS version, but right away there's the obvious advantage that it's
>free.

I've played with elvis for all of about 2 hours, and I'm pretty impressed.
I was able to easily build it on both BSD and MS-DOS.  Although it's somewhat
slower than real vi, it's uncannily similar to vi/ex in a lot of ways.  This
includes stuff like !`a (pipe thru filter) and ^] (tags).  Even :se all
is deceiving.  Even handles humongous files.  Nice work to those responsible!

-scott