[comp.unix.i386] funny console mode ESIX

heiser@sud509.ed.ray.com (Bill Heiser - Unix Sys Admin) (08/24/90)

This may actually be more of a Unix question than an i386 question,
but the only place I've seen it happen is on my Esix system, so I'll
ask this here.  The console on my Esix system sometimes gets into a
funny state, particularly after using 'pcomm'.  It is in a state
where when you hit RETURN, you don't get a linefeed.  Text displays
but each line gets overlaid by the next (no scrolling).  I played
with the stty settings to no avail.  The one thing I found to
clear it is to start Xwindows, then exit -- and it's back to normal.

Anyone have any ideas on this little problem?

bill

--
Bill Heiser
	Work:   heiser@tdw201.ed.ray.com

john@jwt.UUCP (John Temples) (08/26/90)

In article <2206@sud509.ed.ray.com> heiser@sud509.ed.ray.com (Bill Heiser - Unix Sys Admin) writes:
>The console on my Esix system sometimes gets into a
>funny state, particularly after using 'pcomm'.

I run pcomm (1.2.4) on my Esix console all the time, without any
problems.  However, running pcomm from a Wyse 50 terminal does cause
problems.  The dialing directory is completely scrambled when it's
brought up.  More strange is that when I bring up emacs (Epsilon) on the
terminal after running pcomm, moving the cursor around causes letters
to randomly change.  Cycling power on the terminal has no effect.
Logging off and back on again seems to be the only way to clear the
problem.
--
John W. Temples -- john@jwt.UUCP (uunet!jwt!john)

jon@savant.uucp (Jon Gefaell) (08/26/90)

In article <2206@sud509.ed.ray.com> heiser@sud509.ed.ray.com (Bill Heiser - Unix Sys Admin) writes:
>This may actually be more of a Unix question than an i386 question,
>but the only place I've seen it happen is on my Esix system, so I'll
>ask this here.  The console on my Esix system sometimes gets into a
>funny state, particularly after using 'pcomm'.  It is in a state
>where when you hit RETURN, you don't get a linefeed.  Text displays
>but each line gets overlaid by the next (no scrolling).  I played
>with the stty settings to no avail.  The one thing I found to
>clear it is to start Xwindows, then exit -- and it's back to normal.
>
>Anyone have any ideas on this little problem?

Yeah, I noticed this problem often after running elm on the console. I
don't use the console any more, I use another machine over Ethernet to
get to the system. So, I never tried the following, but here's an earlier
note I archived that should shed some light on things for you...

From: seg@segpc.UUCP (Scott E. Garfinkle)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.i386
Subject: one-line console mode (was Re: Problem after using vi thru ~! shell...)
Date: 1 Aug 90 13:55:59 GMT

From article <836@savant.UUCP>, by jon@savant.UUCP (Jon Gefaell):
>>...after i saved, i only had the last line on the screen displaying
>>my new text. (ever view a file thru a one-line window?!:-).
>>
>>i had to shut down and reboot.

No, you didn't.  This appears to be some strange artifact of resetting
modes under terminfo on Esix.  (By the way, it still happens in Rev. D.)
Anyway, all you have to do is type ^[-c  (i.e. escape lower-case-c) at
the prompt and hit return.  This should fix you right up.  In the worst
case, get to a login prompt and do the same thing.  This clears whatever
weird terminal mode you were in.

By the way, the folks at Esix tech support would have been happy to
tell you this workaround (it's where I originally got it).

	-Scott Garfinkle

--
+----------- Domain? DOMAIN? We Don't Need No Steeeenkin' Domain! -----------+
|I wish I had something interesting to put in my .signature file, but I don't|

heiser@tdw201.ed.ray.com (08/27/90)

In article <2048@jwt.UUCP> john@jwt.UUCP (John Temples) writes:

>I run pcomm (1.2.4) on my Esix console all the time, without any
>problems.  However, running pcomm from a Wyse 50 terminal does cause
>problems.  The dialing directory is completely scrambled when it's
>brought up.  More strange is that when I bring up emacs (Epsilon) on the

hmmm.. I don't think I have the latest rev of Pcomm -- at least I
don't have the patches yet.  I'll have to see if I can find them.

RE: the scrambled directory, yes, I've seen that too -- when I used
a pc running Procomm as a terminal.  It looked sort of like it was
trying to use "tabs" but they weren't getting spaced properly or
something.

--

engwall@mtha.usc.edu (Ralph Engwall) (08/29/90)

In article <2206@sud509.ed.ray.com> heiser@sud509.ed.ray.com (Bill Heiser - Unix Sys Admin) writes:

> The console on my Esix system sometimes gets into a
>funny state, particularly after using 'pcomm'.  It is in a state
>where when you hit RETURN, you don't get a linefeed.  Text displays
>but each line gets overlaid by the next (no scrolling).
>
>Anyone have any ideas on this little problem?

  I have also experienced this problem.  I've also had this happen
when I exit from MicroEmacs (3.9).  Unfortunately I haven't yet found
a good solution.

--
|  Ralph Engwall          | Q: Why am I banging my head against the wall? |