[comp.unix.i386] Distribution media survey

shore@mtxinu.COM (Melinda Shore) (08/28/90)

[]
I'm trying to get a sense of what distribution media people would
prefer for a large-ish OS installation.  The distribution is large
enough for us to rule out floppies.  I did an informal survey at
our booth at the last Usenix, and people overwhelmingly favored
floppy tapes.  What would people here prefer?  Are there media that
are completely out of the question?

Thanks,
--
Melinda Shore                                 shore@mtxinu.com
mt Xinu                              ..!uunet!mtxinu.com!shore

In article <1337@mtxinu.UUCP> shore@mtxinu.COM (Melinda Shore) writes:
>I'm trying to get a sense of what distribution media people would
>prefer for a large-ish OS installation.  The distribution is large
>enough for us to rule out floppies.  I did an informal survey at
>our booth at the last Usenix, and people overwhelmingly favored
>floppy tapes.  What would people here prefer?  Are there media that
>are completely out of the question?

The most common media that you will find out in the real 386 "unix" world
will be 60MB (QIC-24) tapes.  Any of the higher capacity drives (120MB, 150MB,
320MB, etc) *should* be able to read the 60MB tapes without a problem (all the
ones that I have tried do).

My experience says that floppy tapes are somewhat rare under unix (I think they
are more prevalent under DOS).

Completely out of the question media would be any new technology (like DAT,
or rare (in the pc unix arena) old technology (9-track) and QIC tape > 60MB.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170

larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) (08/29/90)

Did you ever post the results of your tape survey?

            uucp: iuvax!ndmath!nstar!larry  -or-  larry@nstar
     Public Access Unix Site (219) 289-0282 (5 lines/PEP/HST/Hayes-V)

cws@janus.Quotron.com (Craig W. Shaver) (08/29/90)

In article <1337@mtxinu.UUCP>, shore@mtxinu.COM (Melinda Shore) writes:
> []
> I'm trying to get a sense of what distribution media people would
> prefer for a large-ish OS installation.  The distribution is large
> enough for us to rule out floppies.  I did an informal survey at
> our booth at the last Usenix, and people overwhelmingly favored
> floppy tapes.  What would people here prefer?  Are there media that
> are completely out of the question?

If not on HD 3 1/2's, then on QIC 60MB tapes.  How mucho for mach on a
386?

	Craig W. Shaver

Quotron Systems Inc.    | Phone: (213) 302-4247
5454 Beethoven Street   | uucp: hacgate!janus!cws
Post Office Box 66914	| craig@tradr2.quotron.com
Los Angeles, CA 90066   |

shore@mtxinu.COM (Melinda Shore) (08/30/90)

In article <1990Aug28.193835.16746@nstar.uucp> larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) writes:
>Did you ever post the results of your tape survey?

I'm still getting opinions, but so far people seem to favor QIC-24.
--
Melinda Shore                                 shore@mtxinu.com
mt Xinu                              ..!uunet!mtxinu.com!shore

In article <1990Aug28.193835.16746@nstar.uucp> larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) writes:
>Did you ever post the results of your tape survey?

I assume you are talking about the survey I tried to run back in june.  If
so, the answer is no.  I only got about 6 responses and the most of them were
with various 60MB cartridges.  All had performance in the range of
3.5 - 4.5 MB/min.

Sorry I didn't say anything about it earlier.  I think I was still hoping
to get some responses from people with DATs, 525MBs, etc.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170