[comp.unix.i386] multi-volume tar

m5@lynx.uucp (Mike McNally) (08/28/90)

Apparently, Interactive System V (and SCO and AIX) tar on 386 PC machines
allows multi-diskette tar archives.  I'm looking for information on if and
how tar marks volumes; is there a special volume header block?

Thanks.

--
But he is not an Irishman,  |*|  Mike McNally          Lynx Real-Time Systems
and has only ridden a mule. |*|  m5@lynx.uucp          Trendy Los Gatos, CA

heiser@tdw201.ed.ray.com (08/28/90)

In article <7920@lynx.UUCP> m5@lynx.uucp (Mike McNally) writes:
>Apparently, Interactive System V (and SCO and AIX) tar on 386 PC machines
>allows multi-diskette tar archives.  I'm looking for information on if and
>how tar marks volumes; is there a special volume header block?

The Esix manuals mentions multi-volumes (floppies) in the tar and cpio
sections -- but I could not get either to work.  Maybe i'm not using the
right device names or something.  I tried to both 1.2 and 1.44 meg floppies.
Anyone know of any special tricks to do this?

--
Bill Heiser
	Work:   heiser@tdw201.ed.ray.com

cws@janus.Quotron.com (Craig W. Shaver) (08/29/90)

In article <7920@lynx.UUCP>, m5@lynx.uucp (Mike McNally) writes:
> Apparently, Interactive System V (and SCO and AIX) tar on 386 PC machines
> allows multi-diskette tar archives.  I'm looking for information on if and
> how tar marks volumes; is there a special volume header block?
>
> Thanks.

The tar header has a lot of room at the bottom for people to put non-standard
things.  See the GNU tar also, and especially the old pdtar posted to the
net eons ago.  I have hacked at the pdtar a little to make it work like the
Xenix version (same as the 386/v3.2 version) but not finished yet.  The GNU
uses the same area for different things and I need to come up with a way of
making GNU use multi-volume and still be compatible.  I am leaning towards
makeing it a switch option.

Anyway, if you look in the file format man pages you should see the tar header
layout there.  It is in the Xenix man pages. They just add a couple of fields
to tell you the number of extents and some such.

	Craig W. Shaver

Quotron Systems Inc.    | Phone: (213) 302-4247
5454 Beethoven Street   | uucp: hacgate!janus!cws
Post Office Box 66914	| craig@tradr2.quotron.com
Los Angeles, CA 90066   |

pim@cti-software.nl (Pim Zandbergen) (08/29/90)

m5@lynx.uucp (Mike McNally) writes:

>Apparently, Interactive System V (and SCO and AIX) tar on 386 PC machines
>allows multi-diskette tar archives.  I'm looking for information on if and
>how tar marks volumes; is there a special volume header block?

This is a feature SCO added to tar. All Sysv r 3.2 vendors
for the 386 added this in order to be xenix compatible.

I would like to know if anyone added this feature
(-k option to tar) to pax. I really need a program
that will read sco tar made diskettes and put them in a different
directory using pax' -s flag.
--
Pim Zandbergen                          domain : pim@cti-software.nl
CTI Software BV                         uucp   : uunet!mcsun!hp4nl!ctisbv!pim

cws@janus.Quotron.com (Craig W. Shaver) (08/30/90)

In article <2242@sud509.ed.ray.com>, heiser@tdw201.ed.ray.com writes:
> In article <7920@lynx.UUCP> m5@lynx.uucp (Mike McNally) writes:
> >Apparently, Interactive System V (and SCO and AIX) tar on 386 PC machines
> >allows multi-diskette tar archives.  I'm looking for information on if and
> >how tar marks volumes; is there a special volume header block?
> >

> The Esix manuals mentions multi-volumes (floppies) in the tar and cpio
> sections -- but I could not get either to work.  Maybe i'm not using the
> right device names or something.  I tried to both 1.2 and 1.44 meg floppies.
> Anyone know of any special tricks to do this?

Using the number in place of the 'f' key selects a line in the /etc/default/tar
file as the device and also gives the total blocks on the device.  Tar will
then stop before end of media and prompt for a new volume on creation.
You may also use the 'k' option to directly specify the total blocks on the
device.  I have used this to back up over multiple 60mb tapes.  (RTFM, ;-)

pim@cti-software.nl (Pim Zandbergen) (08/30/90)

heiser@tdw201.ed.ray.com writes:

>The Esix manuals mentions multi-volumes (floppies) in the tar and cpio
>sections -- but I could not get either to work.  Maybe i'm not using the
>right device names or something.  I tried to both 1.2 and 1.44 meg floppies.
>Anyone know of any special tricks to do this?

tar has a -k flag that wil make it count bytes.
tar -cvfbk /dev/dsk/f0q15dt 20 1200 will prompt for the next
floppy after wrinting 1200k.
In fact, tar -cv will do exactly the same, if you have not
altered /etc/default/tar.

cpio will recognize a write() error
with errno == ENXIO (no such device or address) as an end of medium.
Thus, cpio relies on the device driver to generate this errno.

I can't speak for Esix, but on SCO Xenix and ISC Unix, only the
raw floppy devices will generate this error.