[comp.unix.i386] Menu-oriented File Manager Shell for UNIX?

wnp@iiasa.AT (wolf paul) (08/23/90)

Some of our users would like to be able to use UNIX via a menu-based
File Manager shell, such as are very common in the MS-DOS world.

Is there such a beast, preferably for free?

Preferably in source, since it should run on System V/386, SunOS, as
well as Ultrix.

Thanks!
--
Wolf N. Paul, IIASA, A - 2361 Laxenburg, Austria, Europe
PHONE: +43-2236-71521-465     FAX: +43-2236-71313      UUCP: uunet!iiasa.at!wnp

peirce@gumby.UUCP (08/27/90)

In article <846@iiasa.UUCP> wnp@iiasa.UUCP (wolf paul) writes:
>Some of our users would like to be able to use UNIX via a menu-based
>File Manager shell, such as are very common in the MS-DOS world.
>
>Is there such a beast, preferably for free?
>
>Preferably in source, since it should run on System V/386, SunOS, as
>well as Ultrix.

I wrote a program called "maint" that does pretty much what you want and
sent it to Rich $alz in early June so that it could be posted in
comp.sources.unix but I haven't seen it yet.  Or did I miss something?

maint works on Ultrix, SunOS and System V.  I'm still looking for someone
to port it to Xenix.
--
Leonard Peirce                  Internet:  peirce@gumby.cc.wmich.edu
Western Michigan University                peirce@gw.wmich.edu

peirce@gumby.cc.wmich.edu (Leonard Peirce) (08/30/90)

In article <1990Aug24.131249.9361@gumby.cc.wmich.edu> I wrote:
>In article <846@iiasa.UUCP> wnp@iiasa.UUCP (wolf paul) writes:
>>Some of our users would like to be able to use UNIX via a menu-based
>>File Manager shell, such as are very common in the MS-DOS world.
>>
>>Is there such a beast, preferably for free?
>>
>>Preferably in source, since it should run on System V/386, SunOS, as
>>well as Ultrix.
>
>I wrote a program called "maint" that does pretty much what you want and
>sent it to Rich $alz in early June so that it could be posted in
>comp.sources.unix but I haven't seen it yet.  Or did I miss something?
>
>maint works on Ultrix, SunOS and System V.  I'm still looking for someone
>to port it to Xenix.

Due to the large number of requests for maint, I've decided to make it
available for anonymous ftp until it comes out in comp.sources.unix.  It
can be picked it up from gumby.cc.wmich.edu (35.132.1.114) in the
pub/unix_maint directory.  There's a VMS version in the vms_maint
directory if anyone is interested.

Rich $alz must be pretty backed up.  I know the feeling....