[comp.unix.i386] More esix questions

larry@belch.Berkeley.EDU (Larry Foard) (08/30/90)

I am about to get Esix and have a few questions about it:

Does esix have any kind of generic tape drive support?
I have a colorodo tape drive which only comes with DOS software,
will this work or do I need to find a tape drive maker that supports
unix?

Same question about VGA cards, what kind of super VGA is supported
by esix? Unfortunitly super vga cards come with drivers for everything
except unix. Assuming the device driver is available or could be
created can X windows under esix support 1024X768X256 colors?

Esix is supposed to support the virtual terminals that can be accessed
by doing Alt-Fx, can these coexist with X windows? For example can you
be running a text program on one virtual terminal and then flip into
X windows on another? (Can you run X windows on several at once)

Unless I missed something (very possible) KA9Q for MS DOS only contains
an FTP and telnet server, but doesn't seem to provide the actual telnet
and ftp software needed to connect to a remote machine?

Is there public domain software to make an MSDOS machine into
an X windows terminal?

jon@savant.uucp (Jon Gefaell) (08/31/90)

In article <1990Aug29.210101.8362@agate.berkeley.edu> larry@belch.Berkeley.EDU (Larry Foard) writes:
>I am about to get Esix and have a few questions about it:

I've got ESIX, lemme try and answer a few for ya :)

>Does esix have any kind of generic tape drive support?
>I have a colorodo tape drive which only comes with DOS software,
>will this work or do I need to find a tape drive maker that supports
>unix?

ESIX supports Wangtek/Everex and Archive tapes. I've got an Archive, and
though a pre-release driver worked fine, the tapes didn't restore under
the Rev D. release. I don't think it's ESIX's fault, but I havn't beat
on it to determine what the problem is (I got freuquent Out of Sync errors
and occasional Kernal PANIC's W/ a 0x0D status)

For other tape drives, you'll have to get a driver from the tape drive
manufacturer for now, far as I know.. (Are there any USENET available
'generic' or Mountian drivers?)

>Same question about VGA cards, what kind of super VGA is supported
>by esix? Unfortunitly super vga cards come with drivers for everything
>except unix. Assuming the device driver is available or could be
>created can X windows under esix support 1024X768X256 colors?

I could dump the list from Xconfig here, but I think you'd be be better
off to ask your dealer, or call ESIX, there are about 4 or 5 diferent cards
supported, and 1Kx768x256 _IS_ supported on those of the supported cards that
have that capability. X is _much_ better in Rev D than previously.

>Esix is supposed to support the virtual terminals that can be accessed
>by doing Alt-Fx, can these coexist with X windows? For example can you
>be running a text program on one virtual terminal and then flip into
>X windows on another? (Can you run X windows on several at once)

No, you cannot have X _and_ virtual terminals at the same time. The Virt
terms are still there, but are not accessible until you leave X. That's
what xterm is for anyways... :)

>Unless I missed something (very possible) KA9Q for MS DOS only contains
>an FTP and telnet server, but doesn't seem to provide the actual telnet
>and ftp software needed to connect to a remote machine?

NCSA have some nice Telnet/FTP, and such.... Available just about anywhers
on the net :) (Sorry, don't remember where offhand, I've already got what I
need :)

>Is there public domain software to make an MSDOS machine into
>an X windows terminal?

Tall order.... I dunno
--
+----------- Domain? DOMAIN? We Don't Need No Steeeenkin' Domain! -----------+
|I wish I had something interesting to put in my .signature file, but I don't|