[comp.unix.i386] How to skip past "image in swap device" when rebooting?

jamesd@techbook.com (James Deibele) (08/29/90)

Unfortunately I have yet to put a uninterruptible power supply on my system,
which means that once in a while I come in to find that the power flickered
during the night and that the system is sitting, waiting patiently for me to
answer "y" or "n".  It wants to know whether I want to save the "image in the
swap device" (this happened again this morning, and I should have written down
the exact wording, but didn't).

For the forseeable future, the answer is always going to be no, but I'd be
happy to answer yes (and manually delete the file) if it would just get past
this point.  I have autoboot=yes in /etc/default/boot as per the manual, but
it always sticks here.  Is there a way of getting past this question?

Thanks!

--
jamesd@techbook.COM  ...!{tektronix!nosun,uunet}!techbook!jamesd
Public Access UNIX at (503) 644-8135 (1200/2400) Voice: +1 503 646-8257

In article <1990Aug28.181142.11251@techbook.com> jamesd@techbook.com (James Deibele) writes:
>answer "y" or "n".  It wants to know whether I want to save the "image in the
>swap device" (this happened again this morning, and I should have written down
>the exact wording, but didn't).
>
>For the forseeable future, the answer is always going to be no, but I'd be
>happy to answer yes (and manually delete the file) if it would just get past

If you look in the begining /etc/bcheckrc, there is a call to /etc/dumpsave.
If you comment this line out, you won't be asked.

Or you could make the following modification to /etc/dumpsave:

Old:

	echo 'There may be a system dump memory image in the swap device.'
	while :
	do
		echo 'Do you want to save it? (y/n)> \c'
		read ans
		case $ans in
		  y )   break ;;
		  n )   exit 0 ;;
		esac
		echo '???'
	done

New:

	echo 'There may be a system dump memory image in the swap device.'
-->	(sleep 60; kill $$)&
	while :
	do
		echo 'Do you want to save it? (y/n)> \c'
		read ans
		case $ans in
		  y )   break ;;
		  n )   exit 0 ;;
		esac
		echo '???'
	done

-->	trap "" 15

The first line sets up a second shell that will send a signal to this one after
60 seconds.  The second line tells the shell to ignore signal 15 (default
signal from kill).  If the user types in an answer, the trap will be executed.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170

dave@westmark.UU.NET (Dave Levenson) (08/31/90)

In article <1990Aug28.181142.11251@techbook.com>, jamesd@techbook.com (James Deibele) writes:
> Unfortunately I have yet to put a uninterruptible power supply on my system,
> which means that once in a while I come in to find that the power flickered
> during the night and that the system is sitting, waiting patiently for me to
> answer "y" or "n"....
> ...  I have autoboot=yes in /etc/default/boot as per the manual, but
> it always sticks here.  Is there a way of getting past this question?

You need to add one more line to /etc/default/boot.
That line should be:

PANICBOOT=YES

That allows the system to boot automatically after a panic, which is
the state it thinks it's in after a power failure.

(Note: my answer applies to AT&T SysV/386r3.2.2.  Your UNIX(tm) may
vary.)

--
Dave Levenson			Voice: 908 647 0900  Fax: 908 647 6857
Westmark, Inc.			UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave