[comp.unix.i386] getty hangs up modem line

hoepfner@usun01.UUCP (Andreas Hoepfner) (08/27/90)

I've got a (very simple ?!?) problem which blows up the spool area
of my news host...

Everytime I get an incomming call via phone, the modem picks up the
line and immediately drops it again ! I tried several gettydefs
configurations, but always with the same problem, so the other
host is not able to poll my 386/IX System.

The inittab entry looks like this:

..(deleted)......./etc/getty -t30 /dev/tty00 2400H

			--- even uugetty is the same.....

It's an 2400 Baud internal modem configurated as COM1.
I'tried an external modem with the same results....
...cu and uucico are working fine.....

Thanks,
	  Andreas

 |                   Andreas Hoepfner                                    |
 |     paper mail:                            e-mail:                    |
 | c/o/ Nixdorf Computer AG      USA: philabs!linus!nixbur!hoepfner.kd   |
 | Abt. VTC 12                   !USA: hoepfner.kd@nixpbe.uucp           |
 | Heinz Nixdorf Ring                                                    |
 | D-4790 Paderborn                                                      |
 | tel.: (+49) 5251 107479                                               |

stevewa@upvax.UUCP (Steve Ward) (08/30/90)

In article <85@usun01.UUCP> hoepfner@usun01.UUCP (Andreas Hoepfner) writes:
>Everytime I get an incomming call via phone, the modem picks up the
>line and immediately drops it again ! I tried several gettydefs
>configurations, but always with the same problem, so the other
>host is not able to poll my 386/IX System.

Check your modem configuration settings...

My guess is you have the modem configured to return result codes.  When
the phone rings, the modem sends "RING" to the serial port.  By the time the
modem seizes the line, the computer is thouroughly confused, and tells the
modem to drop the line (by lowering DTR).

On my ATI 2400 baud modem, ATQ2 is the command that allows you to turn off
the result codes in answer mode, and still have them in originate mode.

Steve
--
| Steve Ward Jr. appears courtesy of       |            stevewa@upvax.UUCP    |
| Univ. of Portland, Portland, OR          |         !tektronix!upvax!stevewa |

aland@infmx.UUCP (Colonel Panic) (09/01/90)

In article <1111@upvax.UUCP> stevewa@upvax.UUCP (Steve Ward) writes:
>In article <85@usun01.UUCP> hoepfner@usun01.UUCP (Andreas Hoepfner) writes:
>>Everytime I get an incomming call via phone, the modem picks up the
>>line and immediately drops it again ! I tried several gettydefs
>>configurations, but always with the same problem, so the other
>>host is not able to poll my 386/IX System.
>
>Check your modem configuration settings...

One other thing to check -- I ran into this just this week.  If one
of the modems is MNP auto-reliable and the other is not MNP-capable,
the same behavior can occur.  My problem went away when I disabled
MNP on my side [changed the Dialers entry to use n0 (Normal) instead
of n3 (Auto-Reliable)].

--
Alan Denney      aland@informix.com      {pyramid|uunet}!infmx!aland

 "Girl, we couldn't get much higher."  -  Joe Isuzu